IGNORED

Today, Torrey is on my mind

azkaisr

Wow one month till Torrey and all of a sudden, I am starting to jones pretty hard to get up there and see my pals. Think it is going to be a Jeep Trip since I took the GT up in July. For those of you wondering the best part is that they have been repaving Sweeper Madness this summer and I bet the Hooning will be grand. Almost makes me want to trailer a bike up. And I am bringing my bicycle this trip too to tool around on. Anyone else feeling it yet?

I am hoping to make it, as it will be my first trip to Torrey. I hope to ride thru CO, UT, parts of AZ, NM and TX. Of course TX will only be the panhandle. :dopeslap:

Waitin for the cancellation list to start moving....If it gets to me, IN on the GS with new ......

I hear ya....I need a room!!

I've already started packing, and will leave this Friday or Saturday. :thumbsup:

Of course, I making somewhat of a circuitous route to get there. ;)

Planning on making my first Torrey trip and trying to gauge what to bring... the RT or RT/KTM combo. Any consensus on what type of trip this will be? The rides Bob is planning sound awfully enticing.

Also, think I'll camp while in Torrey. Do options exist? The closest thing to the CW is probably the best bet... 1000 Lakes RV Park?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Paul Mihalka

Making plans for a long time now. Since March no. 3 on the Chuck Wagon waiting list. I hate to do it, but I have a back-up reservation at Boulder View. I wonder when Chuck Wagon and Boulder View and others implement very strict cancellation penalties. It's a pain but some people's actions will force them to do it. Plan to leave Saturday 9/19 pm, be there on Thursday. All the bike needs is a oil change and a new rear tire. Timing is perfect. On the way home I'll stop at BRR in Kentucky!

Planning on making my first Torrey trip and trying to gauge what to bring... the RT or RT/KTM combo. Any consensus on what type of trip this will be? The rides Bob is planning sound awfully enticing.

Also, think I'll camp while in Torrey. Do options exist? The closest thing to the CW is probably the best bet... 1000 Lakes RV Park?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

James

How long will you be here? If it's just a couple of days there are great paved roads to explore (GREAT ROADS!). Longer than that and I'd do the combo, we'll be doing several dirt/gravel rides in the week leading up to the Torrey weekend. I have to leave for England right after the weekend, me Mum turns 80 and we're having a big bash.

1000 Lakes is nice though too far to walk really, Sand Creek is closer, just across from my street, and my lawn is always available.

I'm more excited about seeing my friends than seeing Torrey. I was there in July, passing through on my way to Colorado, and I got to see Killer and his lady, plus Eddddddd was there. But I haven't seen "the gang" and all the new Torrey-ers who've come and experienced the place and the people, since last Spring, prior to my move to WA. I'm also anxious to get the little Wee-Strom around some of my favorite roads. I'll be coming through SLC and will take Huntington Canyon on the way in, along with a south-bound pass on Sweeper Madness. But I want to get the little Strom up on Boulder Mountain and all the way down to Bryce before I turn around and go back. Then there's Fish Lake. Those twists and turns with 250 fewer pounds of metal and plastic is going to be a BALL! And being lighter, the John Burr Trail will finally be a comfortable ride, even on Pilot Roads.

Yup, my weekend is full. See everyone Thursday.

And while the CW is a great place and center of the weekend, the Boulder View and Capital Reef are also right there on the street within a 5 minute walk. So don't let the waiting list put you out.

russell_bynum

We'll be there with the little lunatic. (He's starting to walk now, so don't leave your keys in your bikes. :grin: )

Details are still up in the air but what is for sure is that we'll be doing the usual "arrive Friday, depart Sunday" routine.

Beyond that...who knows? It looks like we'll bring the DRZ and probably Lisa's RS. She wants to truck the bike up through the boring freeway sections and then ride over the mountain and into Torrey. Then she'll spend Saturday tooling around in the truck with Steven while I go attempt to not break my ankle again on the DRZ.

Should be a fun time...if we can survive 10 hours in the truck with Steven. :dopeslap:

How long will you be here? If it's just a couple of days there are great paved roads to explore (GREAT ROADS!). Longer than that and I'd do the combo, we'll be doing several dirt/gravel rides in the week leading up to the Torrey weekend. I have to leave for England right after the weekend, me Mum turns 80 and we're having a big bash.

1000 Lakes is nice though too far to walk really, Sand Creek is closer, just across from my street, and my lawn is always available.

We were originally planning just a couple of street days but I've had regrets on previous trips (not nearly as far away) for not staying long enough. As much as I hate to trailer, it may be wise to spend a couple of weekdays in the dirt and the weekend on the street, once the majority of cavalry has arrived.

I've been longing to tour the area on dirt since my wife and I were in Capitol Reef in Dec. '07. Even though I had 4x4, there was snow that morning and I was told by the park rangers that the clay gets extremely slick. On top of that, there weren't a lot of people out and about in December.

How much are you charging for a lawn slot?

EDIT: Oh ya... What's required to ride my non-street legal dirt bike in Utah National Parks?

How long will you be here? If it's just a couple of days there are great paved roads to explore (GREAT ROADS!). Longer than that and I'd do the combo, we'll be doing several dirt/gravel rides in the week leading up to the Torrey weekend.

James and I will be traveling together and are thinking about showing up a little early to get in some more riding. Along those lines...

... while I go attempt to not break my ankle again on the DRZ.

I know that there's just about any kind of off-road riding in that area that one can imagine but how technical are the typical group dirt routes? I'll be on a DRZ but am not the most accomplished dirt rider (translation: I suck) and don't want to slow everyone down...

James and I will be traveling together and are thinking about showing up a little early to get in some more riding. Along those lines...

Seth is gonna be in Torrey :clap:.....Seth is gonna be in Torrey :clap:

I know that there's just about any kind of off-road riding in that area that one can imagine but how technical are the typical group dirt routes? I'll be on a DRZ but am not the most accomplished dirt rider (translation: I suck) and don't want to slow everyone down...

Don't worry about a thing....just follow me ;)

I suck worse :dopeslap:

:wave:

Come hell or high water I will be attending this time, and if I can sweet talk her the wife will come with me. Now to stock up on good ales, IPA, and stout to be sent ahead by UPS if the wife does not drive up in the 4x4 with the family camp gear.

russell_bynum

It varies greatly.

The Cathedral Valley loop is pretty easy with the only obstacles being a water crossing (FUN!!!) and some sand washes (no big deal if you can ride in sand...a bit hairy if you can't)

The ride we did up to Boulder Top last year was also very moderate. The only reason it got a little hairy was it was raining (and then snowing), so it got a bit slippery on the way down. Still...not too bad.

Where it went wrong for me was when a small group of us branched off onto a more difficult trail. That trail would have been totally fine if it was dry, but there was a bunch of nasty deep mud that I just couldn't ride in. Note: Wurty did fine. Bob did fine. Boney did fine. Brian (first day on a dualsport) and I both had problems. Even still...my falls wouldn't have been a big deal except for the last one where the bike pinned my foot. I am/was out of shape, tired, and have no experience riding in mud, so the falls weren't exactly a surprise.

I wouldn't worry about it, really. Most of the group will probably want to do the easier stuff. And if there are GS's on the ride...if the GS is ridden by a mortal, you have to figure that anything a GS can do will be easy for a DRZ.

How much are you charging for a lawn slot?

EDIT: Oh ya... What's required to ride my non-street legal dirt bike in Utah National Parks?

There's no charge for a lawn slot! (Unless you get roped into helping fix something in the garage)

All National Parks require license plates for all vehicles anywhere in them, where we are going on Saturday there is almost no chance of getting stopped however. During the week we will probably not go into the park so no plate needed.

So when will you be stopping by on your way out to pick up our dirt bikes? If we have to trailer it's going to be on your head...

No need for me to trailer. I leave my WR450 in Killers garage. As long as the garage doesn't eat it, like so many other things, I can ride anything to Torrey.

:/

Calvin  (no socks)

It is on my mind......but...gonna have to wait till spring... burned all vacation days doing spring Torrey and then the Un...

I'm more excited about seeing my friends than seeing Torrey. I was there in July, passing through on my way to Colorado, and I got to see Killer and his lady, plus Eddddddd was there. But I haven't seen "the gang" and all the new Torrey-ers who've come and experienced the place and the people, since last Spring, prior to my move to WA. I'm also anxious to get the little Wee-Strom around some of my favorite roads. I'll be coming through SLC and will take Huntington Canyon on the way in, along with a south-bound pass on Sweeper Madness. But I want to get the little Strom up on Boulder Mountain and all the way down to Bryce before I turn around and go back. Then there's Fish Lake. Those twists and turns with 250 fewer pounds of metal and plastic is going to be a BALL! And being lighter, the John Burr Trail will finally be a comfortable ride, even on Pilot Roads.

Yup, my weekend is full. See everyone Thursday.

I think we'll be going Nebo Loop then Huntington Canyon then Sweeper. Not sure what day. If I can swing a hall pass I may go down early with the truck and dirt bikes, then come back to SLC and ride down with Sharon on the street bikes. If it goes that way, likely Thursday for the street bike trip down, reverse and repeat Sunday to get back. Feel free to stop in for the night and ride down with us if the timing works for you. I was telling the folks at the Unrally that they could base out of here for a fly and ride to Torrey, and there were some positive noises in that regard, so potentially could have company for the ride. We've got one spare bed, one spare futon mattress, and then it goes to floor space after that. All available on a first firm claim basis.

In any event, Fernando, if you haven't ridden Nebo yet, add it to your ride. It's right on your way.

Nebo Loop

Bob, is Cathedral Valley loop the ride that starts (assuming clockwise) at the end of the road in Capital Reef NP and comes out up near the top of Rt 12? I've taken that in both directions and it is a great route. Not real difficult but then again, may not be a biginner ride either.

jlt

russell_bynum
Bob, is Cathedral Valley loop the ride that starts (assuming clockwise) at the end of the road in Capital Reef NP and comes out up near the top of Rt 12? I've taken that in both directions and it is a great route. Not real difficult but then again, may not be a biginner ride either.

jlt

Yup, that's the one.

jlt

Yup, that's the one.

Nope. That's the Pleasant Creek ride, the one with the steep sand hill you may remember Russell.

The CV ride starts just east of the park on 24 at the Caineville Wash, goes through the desert to the cathedrals with side trips to the Temples and the Gypsum Sinkhole then up and over the mountains to Sweeper Madness.

russell_bynum

jlt

Yup, that's the one.

Nope. That's the Pleasant Creek ride, the one with the steep sand hill you may remember Russell.

The CV ride starts just east of the park on 24 at the Caineville Wash, goes through the desert to the cathedrals with side trips to the Temples and the Gypsum Sinkhole then up and over the mountains to Sweeper Madness.

DOH!! Not sure where my brain is right now. Lisa would NEVER let me forget the Pleasant Creek ride. :dopeslap: (except for the sand hill, I still don't think it was that bad)

I want to do a ride to Bryce Canyon, looks like I can do a loop from Torrey in a day. I plan on leaving on Tuesday morning from Tulsa, I will stay in Colorado Springs on Tues. night. then come across via Gunnison and end up at Arches for Wed. night. Hope to be in Torrey on Thursday. Leaving on Sunday going south by Powell lake and thru Monument Valley. Then to Sante Fe for the night.

If you got back via Powell, go to Bullfrog and take the ferry across, then go down Moki Dugway. Not much out of your way and you won't regret it.

I want to do a ride to Bryce Canyon, looks like I can do a loop from Torrey in a day.
No problem doing a loop but more entertaining to do a down and back on UT12, about 112 each way though you should continue a bit beyond Bryce to Red Canyon as well.
I want to do a ride to Bryce Canyon, looks like I can do a loop from Torrey in a day.
No problem doing a loop but more entertaining to do a down and back on UT12, about 112 each way though you should continue a bit beyond Bryce to Red Canyon as well.

+1

+1

Yessir. That'n there'd be a good 'un.

Thanks, I will pick your brains when I get there and plug it into the GPS. By the way is there a place to get new tires? I may have to replace them by the time I get there or hopefully after I get back for sure. Putting 600mi on the bike tomorrow, so I will have about 2200 on the BT's. I think they are only good for about 6k.

I've already started packing, and will leave this Friday or Saturday. :thumbsup:

Are you going through Wisconsin to see your Dear Mom?

I've changed tires in Bob's garage before. I'm trying to recall.. I think he has a harbor freight changer that's mounted on plywood... moderately secure. You can ship tires to his address. I can bring my Marc Parnes Balancer down if you like. Alternatively, we have an HF changer that is bolted into the concrete here in SLC. You can ship tires here as well.

I think the nearest motorcycle shop is Richfield, about 70 miles from Torrey. You'd probably need to bring them the wheels as they are not a bmw shop. Don't know their policies on mounting foreign tires... might need to buy tires from them. In SLC two shops will mount any tire if you bring them wheels, Cycle Gear and Wrights. Both also sell tires. Motorcycle R&R is a BMW specialty shop, and there are 2 BMW dealers. These only mount tires they sell.

Also a BMW dealer in Grand Junction CO. That is likely your best option if you prefer full service.

By the way is there a place to get new tires?
No place to get tyres, I have a Harbour Freight machine with Mitch's bar if you want to have tyres shipped here, many people have done that or used a set of the old ones that are laying about to get home. Utah roads eat tyres - very abrasive and so much fun you have to hoon.
Thanks Jan, I will PM Killer and ask him. Can't wait to see everyone I met at the No-Cal tech day.

A tech day without food... :S

Are you going through Wisconsin to see your Dear Mom?

Yes, I'll be spending time in Wisconsin with Mother and my six (yes six) sisters, but before I make it there, I have a stop in Knoxville, TN to collect Bob's new toy.

If you got back via Powell, go to Bullfrog and take the ferry across, then go down Moki Dugway. Not much out of your way and you won't regret it.

Here is a pictorial tour of the Moki Dugway

Wow one month till Torrey and all of a sudden, I am starting to jones pretty hard to get up there and see my pals. Think it is going to be a Jeep Trip since I took the GT up in July. For those of you wondering the best part is that they have been repaving Sweeper Madness this summer and I bet the Hooning will be grand. Almost makes me want to trailer a bike up. And I am bringing my bicycle this trip too to tool around on. Anyone else feeling it yet?

I have to quit looking at these threads. Once again, I will not be able to make my first trip to Torrey. Maybe in the spring...

I am thinking it is ABOUT TIME for the excited chatter to start... thanks for kicking it off Azkaizr,

Trying to remember all the posts I wanted to comment on.

Casa Hopz is available with beds and garage in SLC for those who need.

At this point we plan to go down on Thursday... so... Jan/Sharon/Effbee etc if you do go that day and do Nebo Loop/Huntington/72, count me in.

Tires. I Used Wrights to mount my PR2 last month and took the Wheel and Tire. $12. Did my own balance and disposal. Anyone needing a drop point can ship to my house.

Chuck Wagon was full when I tried... geeze how many years ahead do you need to get a room without the wait list? We are at the Capital Reef.

I thought the bring your own supper worked out well in the Spring, or is there energy for a more formal feed on Friday night?

Anyone navigating with a Garmin GPS can contact me for routes from the north. The roads are not difficult to plot except Sweeper Madness which for some strange reason the Utah Highway Department insists on calling Hwy 72. Most maps and GPS think it is unpaved so routing can be a problem. Let me hear and I can email what you need. Do not yet know what bike I will ride since there is still a month left so I might buy and sell several before departure.

Reminder. That weekend is also the Motorcycle Repair and Rendezvous Shop weekend ride, and also the BMW MOA gathering in Cedar City. For what that is worth- do not count on MR&R service on Saturday. We may need traffic control.

Counting days...

I am still in the waiting process for a room at CW. My wife and I were there for a week in July so I verified then that I was on the list. If I don't get in at the CW I'm not sure what I'll do as I'm not doing a backup reservation this year due to all the bad will we have caused in Torrey canceling at the last minute. Heck, I was on my way to Torrey and wandering in New Mexico for the spring Torrey before I got a room. I wonder if Randy will let me park my motorhome out on the East side by the street? I'm also still unsure about bringing the Jeep, a dual sport, a quad, or just riding the RT and see where I end up.

I've got a loop laid out up to Price Utah, through Colorado, over to Taos NM and home for 2000 miles that I also want to do.

The problem is if I get in at the CW I probably won't know till that week. So I guess I'm going some where riding some thing...who knows!!

Looks like we're going to be arriving on Wednesday morning-ish. Anybody else coming in early want to get together for an early-afternoon dirt ride?

Looks like we're going to be arriving on Wednesday morning-ish. Anybody else coming in early want to get together for an early-afternoon dirt ride?
That can be arranged...

Where ya stayin????

We should already be there.

:thumbsup:

We should already be there.

You are my idol. I hope to be just like you when I grow up...

Looking forward to riding with you in October.

Where ya stayin????

Capitol Reef Inn, only place that had any rooms close to the CW (which currently has a waiting list of 18 so I didn't even try.) Actually I might be staying with you on Saturday night because Capitol Reef was full on that day.

Where ya stayin????

Capitol Reef Inn, only place that had any rooms close to the CW (which currently has a waiting list of 18 so I didn't even try.) Actually I might be staying with you on Saturday night because Capitol Reef was full on that day.

Capitol Reef is kinda....hmmmmm....what's the word.......Quaint.

That's it.

:grin:

Torrey School House is very close, and very nice and more pricey and the breakfast is served a little late for getting into the swing of things with the group (you might need to forgo it, but it is a great feed), but it is actually the closest to the CW. Did you give them a try Seth?

Archived