IGNORED

GS intake tubes for R1100R?

phoenixtexas

I've read where owners have used GS air intake snorkles on their oilheads for more air. However, the Max BMW fiche shows the part number on the snorkle for my 1996 R1100R (with modified exhaust & Techlusion) and the GS to be the same. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Eckhard Grohe

That mod is suggested for the RS and RT models to improve the mid range torque. It works but changes the sound of the bike giving the bike a drone when the throttle is opened.

Based on a side by side comparison with a buddy's GS and my R, I think the throttle tubes on the R and GS model are the same. RT and RS owners are the ones who'd be interested in this mod. That'll save you a few bucks to apply towards another toy cool.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
I've read where owners have used GS air intake snorkles on their oilheads for more air. However, the Max BMW fiche shows the part number on the snorkle for my 1996 R1100R (with modified exhaust & Techlusion) and the GS to be the same. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

A quick review of the service manual for late '90's R-bikes suggests that the R1100R engine is identical to the R1100GS engine: same valve timing, same peak power/torque numbers, same compression ratio. The RT and RS engines share the same specs as each other, but are different from the R/GS engines.

In all likelihood you are already enjoying the benefits of those GS/R intake tubes.

To Jim & Others: Thanks for the very helpful tips. It seems that the only other option is the $260 Wunderlich snorkle, which is a lot more than I want to spend and I question whether you get $260 worth of performance gain with my mods.

The GS tubes are supposed to give you more mid and low range torque. But they also cut out some of the high end. So it's just a preference issue. If you are racing around near redline you would probably do better putting RS tubes on your R.

Eric Matt

I did actually replace my stock R11R intake tubes with the R11RT ones to see what effect this had on performance. BTW the R and GS tubes are identical.

It really does SEEM that things are going a lot smoother with the RT tubes and that performance at mid and upper RPM ranges is a bit better. If there is any effect on MPG, I haven't noticed it. There does seem to be a bit less low end torque "kick" but I never found that very helpful anyway. The net result for me is/was a smoother ride on the R. Because I ride my R11GS much differently, I haven't any interest in switching them out on that bike.

Dave

Archived