IGNORED

Took the Experienced Rider Course Saturday

Albert

Had a fun day Saturday taking the MSF ERC. I had taken the course 6 or 7 years ago so I thought it would be good to do a refresher. Pennsylvania has a really good program where both the basic and experienced rider courses are offered free. There's no limit on the number of times you can take the course and it's offered in numerous locations.

The ERC is a six hour rider skills training which incorporates basic close quarters maneuvers at speeds up to 20 mph. It's not a course built to teach road riding skills but it great for practicing the slow speed skills we often don't exercise much. If you have any confidence issues handling your bike at slow speeds this is the course that will let you overcome that. I highly recommend it for anyone at any skill level.

Our group consisted of only 6 bikes with 2 rider coaches so the pace was somewhat quicker than if the full 11 (the maximum I think) would have been there. To say the group was an ecclectic mix of riders and machines is probably not nearly strong enough. In addition to me on the RT, we had 2 cruiser styled bikes, one Gold Wind, one GXR sport bike and one scooter!

If you haven't ever taken one of these it's really worth looking into. No it's not superbike training or even close to the Ride Smart courses that are offered here from time to time. Still there's a whole skill set that's often under exercised in everyday riding that this course will let you practice.

I am a Ridercoach and agree with you that it is not a superbike training course, however like you said it a great refresher course. It you keep an open mind, and remember that each motorcycle training course could put something new in that "toolbox" of techiques used on the street. Using the proper tool in emergency is what keeps us alive. Glad you had a great time.

Off tonight to do my first BRC. Looking forward to it! I'll probably do the ERC next year. Only $25 here which for 15 hrs of training is a dang good deal.

CoarsegoldKid
Pennsylvania has a really good program where both the basic and experienced rider courses are offered free.

I don't think CA has anything free. Progressive state Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania has a really good program where both the basic and experienced rider courses are offered free.

I don't think CA has anything free. Progressive state Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania's actually not a state at all, it's a "commonwealth". I suspect this impacted the price significantly. :rofl:

+1 for taking the course. I've done it 2x over the last 5 years.

If you have any confidence issues handling your bike at slow speeds this is the course that will let you overcome that.

Like a BMWST event, there will be several people immediately at hand to help an unfortunate rider pick up his/her bike. Unlike a BMWST event, no pictures are likely to be taken of the fallen bike or chagrined rider. :grin: So, it's a win-win.

I am prompted to write that not (completely) out of my occasional smart-assedness, but because in my last ERC, some poor guy with a brand-spanking-new-still-sporting-a-paper-plate-immaculate black FJR dropped it not once, or even twice, butbut four times. :eek::( The sight and sound of that made me cringe. OTOH, it was never on its side for more than 30 seconds. That rider took full advantage of the opportunity to explore his new bike's low-speed handling characteristics to and over the edge of the law of gravity.

Plus, while I’m sure plans vary, when I last did it in the States six or so years ago it was good for a 10% discount on my insurance. Hard to argue with that.

Archived