IGNORED

Cleaning tarnish off stainless header?

Nate9k9

There are a jillion suggestions for this job, and I have tried many of them. The discoloration is really persistent and really stubborn, and in my experience all the effective techniques involve a LOT of elbow grease. Then they turn brown again in a matter of a few miles. In my case, I decided to just stop looking at them.

Chrome or ceramic coating is the only long term solution. From all accounts if you polish them they will brown again within a few rides. Chrome headers were a factory option that's why some RT's have nice blue pipes.

Chrome headers were a factory option that's why some RT's have nice blue pipes.

When I bought the bike, I assumed that stainless would be preferable to chrome. I have stainless Epco mufflers on my /2 and find them very easy to keep looking sharp and they don't rust away like the chromed ones do. But I really had no idea how ugly the stainless RT headers would become. The bike was brand new on the market at the time I ordered it, and there weren't any examples around to warn me off. At least when they are terminally, uniformly brown, they are less ugly than when they are just blotchy. Resist the urge to polish and you will eventually find contentment.

Jon, your mufflers were probably a 300 series stainless steel.. Those polish up nicely & stay that way a long time.. The BMW front headers are a 400 series stainless steel.. That welds better & bends better & is less prone to cracking than the prettier 300 series SS.. Unfortunately the 400 series doesn’t have as much chromium or nickel in it as the 300 series so will corrode & discolor if you give it half a chance..

Twisty

Unfortunately the 400 series doesn’t have as much chromium or nickel in it as the 300 series so will corrode & discolor if you give it half a chance..

Twisty

You are right. The /2 mufflers stay shiny for months before they need a once-over with SemiChrome. At the worst, they turn a pale sort of straw color. I keep my RT pretty clean, but to have shiny headers on that bike would just about mean polishing them with every tank of gas. Nah.

There are a jillion suggestions for this job, and I have tried many of them. The discoloration is really persistent and really stubborn, and in my experience all the effective techniques involve a LOT of elbow grease. Then they turn brown again in a matter of a few miles. In my case, I decided to just stop looking at them.

I agree. Had mine looking like mirrors, for about a week. Not even worth it.

I added a Fenda Extenda which keeps the front wheel from tossing the dirt onto the pipes for insta-bake-on. (instant bacon?).

During washing I clean the pipes with a brillo pad.

Archived