IGNORED

purchasing an r1150rt

Bill Bass

Hello,

I am new here, but have been gathering info about r1100's and r1150's for while now. I found a 2002 r1150rt at the local dealer that I am going to have a look at today. I would appreciate your input on a couple of questions -

1) the bike has 41k on the odometer, is there anything I should be looking for as far as upcoming maintenance, or things that tend to go bad around that mileage mark?

2) they will most likely pitch a warranty of some sort (for big $$ no doubt) do you think it would be worth it for a bike of this year and mileage?

3) any other advice, tips, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated

thanks!

Bill

Hello,

I am new here, but have been gathering info about r1100's and r1150's for while now. I found a 2002 r1150rt at the local dealer that I am going to have a look at today. I would appreciate your input on a couple of questions -

1) the bike has 41k on the odometer, is there anything I should be looking for as far as upcoming maintenance, or things that tend to go bad around that mileage mark?

2) they will most likely pitch a warranty of some sort (for big $$ no doubt) do you think it would be worth it for a bike of this year and mileage?

3) any other advice, tips, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated

thanks!

Bill

My 04 has 72K on it with no more than routine servicing.

That said, the '02 seems to be over-represented in clutch spline failures, so I would take out that warranty.

Andy

Mine might have been an exception but my 02 RT had so many problems that BMWNA bought it back and gave me a new 04. Surging , brakes etc. My 04 was flawless.

'02 is the first year for the 1150, like the first year of the 1100 in '96 the later versions were improved. Buy the '02 if you can get a good deal on it. Lot's of people don't like the power, linked brakes.

I had the R1150RT released in 2001 here in Oz. It's what you call the 2002 model in the USA. I owned mine for 43,000 kilometers and had no trouble with the brakes, oil consumption, clutch spline or rear drive. It's only fault was colliding with a kangaroo which resulted in the death of both the animal and bike.

If you're really interested, have the bike thoroughly checked by a good tech. Why not contact the previous owner and get an appraisal of its history? If all checks out and you can get it at a good price, why not go for it?

I had an 02 and hated it, due to surging. For the PD we had a fleet of 02's and loved them. I believe that in police work you do not curse that much, but chase, so the surging was that noticable.

I bought my RT in February 2002. Other than regular service, I've just put gas in it and rode. No surging or spline issues. It's got 54,000 miles on it now. Completely satisfied.

as others have noted, I also had an '02. Only issue was the surging, which I could not totally eliminate despite many band-aids. That being said, the linked brakes probably saved my life when I hit the deer in '04. Bike and deer were killed.

Bought an '04. Surging gone with the dual plugging. Mileage up a bit. Brakes, not as sensitive. 40k, and not a single issue, unless you count the cheap factory fitted gas line connectors leaking.

5,000 mile trip to Utah last summer was a revelation on how good the RT is at everything.

if it were me, I would stay away from an '02 unless you really, really get a smokin' deal. just my $.02

rpg

Bill,

The 04 version is probably the best model of the 1150 RT.

Here's one from the ibmwr Marketplace, in Saratoga.

How does it compare?

"2004 R1150RT

This is a black R1150RT, with 29,560 mi. It is in excellent running condition, and has ABS, adjustable winshield, heated hand grips, custom seat and topcase.

Price: $8,200

Contact Jim Brown at

Telephone 908 892 5249

Posted Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 15:34:36 (EDT)"

No affiliation, don't know him (that I know), just for comparison sake.

Best wishes.

Dave in Doodah

I bought my '03 RT last fall with 24K miles and am as happy as a pig in slop. I did not pay that much but, if it's been properly taken care of, you are in great shape. Enjoy!

Archived