IGNORED

What strange, new world

KMG_365

Just so folks don't waste their time on this as I did, you need Shockwave (which it will help you download for free), some kind of character thingy, but I guess it will give you a sample one if you ask it, a high speed connection for a fairly lengthy download... and a web cam.... It will resume just as soon as it detects your web cam.

Just so folks don't waste their time on this as I did, you need Shockwave (which it will help you download for free), some kind of character thingy, but I guess it will give you a sample one if you ask it, a high speed connection for a fairly lengthy download... and a web cam.... It will resume just as soon as it detects your web cam.

Right...

Lemme see what I can put together here.. :dopeslap:

MB>

Wow, sorry you found it a waste of time. It took all of a minute or so to down load on my Mac plus another minute to print out the graphic from the provided link, one to take a screen shot, one to upload it to SmugMug (plus a minute to wait for SmugMug to process the image and make a link) and another to copy/paste/post it here . . . but then MacBook Pros have a built-in webcam.

The effect is pretty trippy as you can spin the character 360* and tip him upside down. He appears to be standing on the paper right in front of you in the camera image. It's the same effect as the yellow line on the football field that shows the 1st down mark and the effect that allows you to follow the puck in hockey.

Perhaps "augmented reality" isn't for everyone. :Wink:

I thought I was the last person to get a webcam. Don't all you guys use Skype? :grin:

No Skype, No webcam on the desktop. Apparently the desktop is new enough that I hadn't needed shockwave yet either, so had to get that, then the download, then find out I need the webcam.... Ya'll enjoy it, I was just warning anyone without a webcam not to waste several minutes on it.

I might give it a try on Sharon's laptop after she goes to work, it has a built in webcam.

Skype.... I tried it for a while a few months ago, voice only. So many dropped calls as to be unusable. I would need to get different hardware too. Wasn't worth it. I got a cell and never come anywhere my minutes limit.

russell_bynum

Interesting technology.

What I want, though...is something that I can use when I'm on video conferences to do funny stuff. Like...have it replace my image with Darth Vader. Or have it replace the background behind me with the background from movies...like have the chariot race scene from Ben Hur going on behind me.

What I want, though...is something that I can use when I'm on video conferences to do funny stuff. Like...have it replace my image with Darth Vader. Or have it replace the background behind me with the background from movies...like have the chariot race scene from Ben Hur going on behind me.
You can do some of that in iChat... The background is pretty easy to do. Though, I doubt that you'd really want to have a business meeting with Ben Hur in the background...

I know Logitech has the "Darth Vader" kind of thing in video chats, but most people don't really like it that much.

russell_bynum
You can do some of that in iChat... The background is pretty easy to do. Though, I doubt that you'd really want to have a business meeting with Ben Hur in the background...

I know Logitech has the "Darth Vader" kind of thing in video chats, but most people don't really like it that much.

Most of my video conferences so far have been pretty informal with peon-level people. Sometimes I do the whole meeting with the camera pointed at my Glen Quagmire bobblehead (and if it's Friday, I'll do a Quagmire voice now and then. Alllllriiiiight.) I wouldn't use this sort of goofy tech in a serious meeting, but for these informal meetings, I think it would be fun.

Of note is that we have a corporate video conferencing system (Polycom) so these tech gizmos would need to be able to work with that...I can't use Skype or iChat or whatever.

Archived