IGNORED

What type of tie downs for trailering the RT??

Eckhard Grohe

Ratchet is better for the two front ones. Better all around, actually, but cams are fine for the rear. Getting those tight enough requires a tad more work or help.

1.5" is a good compromise. Strong enough, but not so wide as to be difficult to handle.

David is correct ratcheting are best. But before I had much experience with towing, I took a R1100RT and K75RT from Atlanta to Trenton Canada, to Wisconsin, and back to Atlanta. 1" cam buckle, four to a bike, the bikes never moved. Now I have 1" ratcheting type, but most of my trips are less than 200 miles. Assuming no big cost difference, David's suggestion of 1.5" ratcheting type, is a very good compromise.

I disagree, a canyon dancer is tough on aluminum handlebars like the RT. I have done it both ways ??? and I prefer soft ties to the front fork tubes. This way you don't put stress on the handlebars and suspension. As far as ratchet tie downs go the only "accident" I've ever had has been with this type. DAMHIK........ I prefer the ancra cam type. As long as you get her snug and put a half hitch in it you will have no problems. Of course you must check it after the first 30 miles or so just to be sure.

I prefer ratcheting tie-downs, but depending on where your tie-down points are, they may be too long. The ratcheting mechanism and the way the hooks are attached make the minimum length somewhere around one foot. On my recent trip to and from Denver, the tie-down points on the trailer were almost right under the forks, so I had to loop the soft-ties around the forks twice to shorten them so that I could ratchet the ratcheting tie-downs.

The cam-buckle tie-downs can be shortened more than the ratcheting kind, but it's harder to get them tight.

I prefer ratcheting tie-downs, but depending on where your tie-down points are, they may be too long. The ratcheting mechanism and the way the hooks are attached make the minimum length somewhere around one foot.

Actually, if you fold the free end of the strap before inserting it into the ratcheting mechanism you can take them down as far as you want. Take the ratchet in 1 hand, the strap in the other. Bring the strap to the top of your ratchet hand and fold it back over itself. This leaves the folded end about 4" past the front of the ratchet. Take the folded end and slip it into the ratchet. Ratchet it up a few turns (the 4" slack means it will go around the hub a couple of times at least) - you're winding a double thickness of strap but it won't be for too much strap before you've got it tight. Ratchet to tighten. Take the free end of the strap which is now back somewhere toward the hook end and wind it around the strap and tie it off to keep it from flapping in the wind.

Jim

Archived