IGNORED

Can 78 Horsepower feel this good???????

Whip

I now have over 12,000 miles on my new-to-me 2006 R1150GS Adventure. When I decided to buy this bike it was all about Mrs. Whip and her comfort. (If not I would still have my K1200 Sport. ;) ) More than half the miles I put on my bikes is 2 up. Mrs. Whip has loved our KTM 950 Adventure. We spent 40 days on it to and from Alaska in 2007. (Has it been that long already? :( ) I’ve interrogated her for many hours tryin to figure out what she likes about that bike so much and I have really had a hard time tryin to figure out what it is about an over grown dirt bike that appeals to her. :dopeslap:

A little bike history.

We really started riding two up when the first FJR was introduced in 2003.(even though we did some miles on my ZRX, GPZ, Virago, and a few other bikes I owned) We went to Colorado, Big Bend and a few day trips, totaling about 5000 miles. Then we moved on to a Harley Road Glide and traveled to Yellowstone, Canada and many other places out west totaling around 20,000 miles. At this point we were doing 400-mile days and stopping to smell the roses as often as possible. Then in 2005 I bought an (05)R1200RT. I never quite felt the love for this bike. We put 30,000 miles on it. The best part about owning this bike was finding this board. (The day I sold it wasn’t too bad either!) Mrs. Whip hated riding on it. I’ll get into the details in a bit. I went back to a 2006 FJR and Mrs. Whip was again ready to travel. :thumbsup: When we decided it was time for Alaska I wanted to get a new bike. I bought a 2007 R 1200 GS Adventure. Mrs. Whip thought I was “crazy if I expected her to ride on the back of that thing all the way to Alaska”. BUT she had no choice, I already owned it… Maybe she wished bad things on this bike or maybe I just got the wrong bike off the showroom floor (as FlyinGreg said). Anyway after about 2000 miles it was totally unreliable. I had it for about 5 months and 3 of those months it was at the dealers. No need for details, sh!t happens. Even though it was only 2000 miles I can tell ya the suspension wasn’t very good. Only a few weeks from our scheduled departure for AK I bought the KTM. I still owned the GSA so money was an issue. I spent some time setting it up for AK and hoped for the best. The dudes at ADVRIDER/Orange Crush have a wealth of knowledge about the KTM, much like our gang does here about Beemers. We took it to Spring Torrey for a trial run and Mrs. Whip was in love. After 40,000 the KTM is a little long in the tooth. It wouldn’t be if it was a Beemer, but I’ve always known it wasn’t a 100,000 mile bike.

My experience with R1150RTs

Since joining this board I have been honored with many opportunities to ride the motorcycles of fellow members. One of the first was FlyinGreg’s R1150RT. I think it was 2006 after Spring Torrey that Greg, Chris Olson (on his new GT :thumbsup: ) and I took off for a little exploration of Utah and Colorado. Greg’s board name fits him well. Very smooth , very fast, always in the moment, and most of all, very safe. I learned a lot just riding behind him--when I could keep up. At some point along the Utah-Colorado border we switched bikes. He let me lead. I couldn’t believe how good his bike felt. It had perfect rebound damping and the preload was spot on. His bike absorbed the road imperfections and instilled so much confidence that to this day I can remember how it felt. When I checked my 6 I didn’t see Greg or Chris Olson. I pulled over and waited. When I saw Greg I said, “you’re not having any fun are ya?” He said my bike’s suspension was crap. I had about 20,000 miles on it at the time. The ESA never really worked well and even with new Wilbers it was an awful handling bike compared to Greg’s R1150RT. I asked Greg about his suspension and was shocked to find out it had the stock spenders on it. I also got to ride Chris Olson’s GT (actually before riding Greg’s RT) during that same adventure. After ten minutes my arse was in such pain from that stock seat I don’t remember anything else about the bike… :rofl: . At a DVD pre-ride I was given the honor of riding Mama Hoon’s R1150RT “Arianhod”. At the time it had over 100,000 miles on it. Immediately I was reminded of Greg’s bike. Leslie’s bike had Ohlins on it and because of the roads we were on (long and straight) and cause I couldn’t hook up to her XM. I was able to relax and just absorb the bike. Feel it’s slight vibrations, think about the riding position, test the throttle response and brakes without having to “look through the corner” or “watch out for LEO’s” or any other of the things we all do when riding the twisties at “sport touring pace”. I came away from these experiences with lasting memories, but a lack of understanding.

How come all the 1200RTs I’ve been on don’t feel as good as the 1150s?????

Mrs. Whip likes riding on the back of an over-sized dirt bike??????

Mrs. Whip didn’t like riding on the back of a 2007GS Adventure?????

Mrs. Whip didn’t like the R1200RT?????

Mrs. Whip thought the FJR was “okay“?????

The HD Road Glide seat was too wide??????

The K1200 Sport…..are ya kidding me?????

I sat her on Phil’s new GT……no chance????? (that saved about $22k)

I put her on eddd’s RT……she mumbled something ?????

hANNAbONE sent me to test ride a R1150GS for him that was for sale here in San Antonio. I immediately got that feeling I had when I was on Greg’s bike and “Arianhod”. I tricked h-bONE into buyin my K-bike…LOL…not really. (He did buy it, though!)

R1150GS Adventure.

I convinced myself that Mrs. Whip likes the KTM because of her seating position. She often told me she feels like she is part of the KTM when we are riding and not just a bobbling around piece of luggage like she is on the 2007 GSA or my 05)RT, in the extreme on the K-Bike, a little on the FJR and a bunch on Phil’s GT. In Ouray. On my K1200 Sport, we removed the passenger seat and replaced it with an air-hawk and an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. Mrs. Whip thought it was wonderful?????????

All these things brought me to a conclusion that should have been obvious to me. Those 2 step seats that are put on bikes today make the passenger feel like a loosely strapped piece of luggage instead of a secure part of the bike. I was sure I had the answer. It didn’t take long to realize that very few of the bikes made today have bench seats, like so many did in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I blame the mono-shock.

Now entering from stage left…….the R1150GS Adventure.

The bike has that ’feeling” I got on Greg’s bike and “Arianhod”. I think BMW got the rebound damping and spring load right on the 1150s. On my (05-07)1200s (and my K-Bike) the springs seem to over load the damping causing the bike to feel unsettled. YMMV. The 1150s feel like they carry their weight lower than the 1200s. The 1150 motor is smoother and has less vibration than the 1200s…again YMMV. The 1150GS is a much more stable highway bike than the 1200. Could be the extra 40 lbs….YMMV. I remember the first thing I said to RoadScholar when I got to his house after 900 miles of riding the 1150GS-A for the first time. “Y’all been holding out on me about this bike” I really feel like it has not been given the credit it deserves for being a great long distance touring bike. I picked it up on July 8th with 6004 miles on it. Today I’m gonna do the 18K service.

KTM 950 ADV vs. the R 1150GS Adventure

This is really hard. I love the KTM. It has a “grin factor” that no bike will ever be able to give me. It feels light, with lots of torque and makes you wanna be a hooligan. The clutch, shifter, tranny, and chain feel like they’re all one piece of metal. They work “snicky” (hANNbONE word). The brakes are not exactly perfect--a little soft, but lots of feed back and have never failed to work under duress. The handling is solid on and off road. With the 40 liter tanks I’ve added it will go well over 400 miles between fill ups. But unlike the 1150GS-A it is not refined. Riding them back to back makes me think the KTM is some kinda ragged edged race bike that is made for Sundays only.

The 1150GS-A feels heavier and more solid. The frame has a little flex to it when throwing it around the twisties that some don’t like. I think it works very well with the softer suspension and adds to the bikes solid feel instead of taking away from it. My only real proving ground for my street bikes is the Fish Lake Loop in Torrey. I’ve run my KTM around it many times. My seat of the pants estimates tell me the GSA is more than it’s equal. I rode Jan’s (Twisties) side by side, but he’s still working out his suspension issues, so I don’t think it’s fair.

On my way back and forth from the UN I did 3 days over 1000 miles and twice did over 2000 miles in about 40 hours. I don’t think I coulda done that on my KTM even with the Renazco seat.

A random thought: Could the more flexible frame be part of the reason Mrs. Whip likes it? Ya think the firmer frames makes the passengers body react to movement instead of the frame absorbing it and then transferring it to the sub frame??? This could give the passenger the feeling of the bike moving under them, because their body is not keeping up?????????????

I’m gonna say here and now that I will put more than 100,000 miles on this bike even if it takes 4 FD’s to do it.

BTW….Mrs. Whip likes the Sargent seat that came on the bike (a stock seat also came with the bike)… it has a step in it. :S

The best part is Mrs. Whip really likes the bike…I ain’t exactly complaining either.

Hope y’all are having a great weekend.

Don’t be afraid to tell me I’m full of sh!t.

Flame suit on with a smile.

Thoughts and prayers are with ya my friend(1).

L

ericfoerster

I’m gonna say here and now that I will put more than 100,000 miles on this bike even if it takes 4 FD’s to do it.

Copied, printed, and now tagged into evidence. :eek:

I miss my GSA more than any other bike I've ever had. I know where you are coming from.

Ride on!

Lone_RT_rider

Makes sense to me Larry. I still love my R1100RT, and she is not going anywhere. Run it till it dies, replace the part and repeat. :thumbsup:

Shawn

You're full of sh!t! :clap::wave: Can't pass up an opportunity like that, can I?

Since you rode my bike I've stiffened the rear suspension a bit: 3 turns of pre-load on the manual threaded collar adjuster (15% of adjustment range), and 2 clicks of damping increase. I think the bike was a little loose when you rode it, but not a great deal. The rear is a bit higher now in relation to the front, you had commented that you thought it was a bit low, and I agreed. I get a plush ride out if it, and just enough stability to handle the twisties aggressively if I'm smooth.

It's good for me.

As I said at the time, I can't ride that GS. The suspension struck me as very, very firm and harsh, and the bike geometry would take me some time to get used to. Do you still have it set up like that?

To me, you have the KTM set up pretty similar, having ridden it twice. I can ride it, but both bikes. the KTM and the GS, I feel a jolt every tar snake. No thank you! Also, your tank bags prevent me from leaning into curves as I'm used to.

The 1200 RT takes a bit of getting used to. You felt it was fighting you going into turns. You've got to use a light touch, and mostly body lean with it. If you load the bars you're gonna get that feeling. Given the tank bags on your bikes, either you don't lean in much, or your leaner taller body allows you to do so over the top of those bags, while they are in my face.

I had that feeling the bike was fighting turn entry when I rode Phil's K 1300 GT. I hadn't ever ridden a bike with that kind of geometry, and I immediately knew it would take me some time to learn to ride it, and I didn't get that time in a 30 mile run up CA-49. I felt I had to really push that bike into turns. Didn't like it all.

Sharon's F 650 GS twin provides an interesting contrast, though lacking the HP kick of the RT, she keeps up with me on it when I'm kicking the RT for all it's worth. I rode the 650 GS the other day and found I could carry a much higher entry speed on the little thing. A lot to bike weight, geometry, and suspension.

HP, maybe not so big a deal.

Unknown are the thoughts of our wifes....

Back then I had Honda Africa Twin, which she loved to ride with me - except on gravel roads.

OK, but gravel roads are THE roads for AT. On solid and straight ground, Oh Please NO! No power, no brakes, no handling nor speed.

So shopping we go.

R 1100 RS we rode home.

Great bike, rides like a dream no matter 1 or 2 up, slow or NOT.

Just one problem, my injured spine/neck which doesn last in forward lean.

And second problem, Mrs suffering of buffeting turbulence throwing her helmet like a ping-pong ball.

And third problem, it doesnt handle on gravel roads at all.

So shopping we go

R 1200 GS I try to ride home...

Same turbulence dominating her opinion over the superior seating and suspension comfort.

So I found myself from the shop again

R 1200 RT we rode home.

Just great bike. Even better after suspension upgrade to Öhlins.

After 4 years on it, I still suffer terrible noise caused by windscreen. And killing temperatures behind full fairing on warm weather.

Good part is this incredible willingness and ability to humiliate Hayabusanists in the twisties with a touring scooter!

She is still reminding me to avoid gravel roads.....

Every now and then I try to manipulate Mrs to agree with GS - still no success.

But now my worries have expanded. Some time ago I test rode KTM SMT - havent slept well since.

KTM Adventure is pure s....t compared to SuperMotoTour.

First time ever KTM has a smooth throttle, no biting or kicking.

Plenty of power all the way and beyond...

Suspension which works like a magnet in the twisties - front wheel though would need more magnets when exiting, it had real difficulties reaching ground.

It weighs half a Beemer, carries to with luggage. Handles great doin 100mphs.

This bike was was so brilliant I would give away my shaft drive and cruise control....

One thing though - Mrs didnt agree even for a test ride :(

Seems I need to renew my presricption....

Congrats Larry on your new bike. I'm still in love with my 1200 ADV. Interesting comments on the seats. I am having a new Russell seat made (mfg date this week!!) and I asked them to cut down the pillion seat so it was on the same level as the front seat. Different reason though; I like to slide back once in a while and it is easier if they are on the same level. Another item that may be of interest. I rode from DC to Tucson in two 1200 mile days when I picked it up. I didn't get 100 miles before I had to stop at a truck stop and get some ear plugs. After that it was great. Now I have a Laminar Lip on my GSA and no longer need ear plugs. It is as quiet as either of my RTs (1150 & 1200) Good luck with your bike.

Whip,

I had a 94 R1100GS, no abs and I wish I had it back. First one in the country at the time. I feel like it ran better than all the bikes I have had since then (1100RT, R1, 1150RS, 06FJR13, and now my 07R12RT). The 07 RT comes the closest so far.

Good luck on the 1150 and ride it like it will be your last bike.

Copied, printed, and now tagged into evidence. :eek:

I had the same thought. :grin:

I hope it comes true, less 3 FDs (if not more). Not just because I've drunk the Kool-Aid. Just want the Brother (and Mrs. Whip) got get what they want. I hope this is it.

P.S. I will be a fine bike for visiting the Livermore Hillbillies some day.

Whip,

We looked at the 1200RT.....didn't grab either of us!

I certainly don't like the look of the bike and the seating position vs the R1150RT didn't grab us either.

We still have the stock seating on our RT and mine had the "Comfort" seat on it. Still have the stock suspension set up and no issues with either of our "arses" :grin:

As far as trips go, we both easily do "tankfuls" (240 miles), have the necessary pit stop then simply up and go.

500 miles isn't hard to do at all on the RT for her and, in fact, we are riding to the Heaven to Hell rally in Alpine in September. Leave home on the Friday, then riding the 385 mile rally ride on Saturday, riding the DM loop on Sunday then home on Monday morning. Prolly around 1300 miles in 3 days. Deb loves being on the back of Darth and she says the top box helps her. She says the bike is nice and comfortable around 80mph !!!

Riding them back to back makes me think the KTM is some kinda ragged edged race bike that is made for Sundays only.

Which it is... :Wink:

I'm not sure what you're feeling on the 1150 but I don't think it's frame flex. On the oilheads the engine and transmission are the frame and believe me, they are not flexing. Perhaps more like a difference in shock valving or suspension geometry.

I think Seth has it right. The KTM frame will do more flexing.

I think what you're feeling is a heavy bike without taut responses.

CoarsegoldKid

Whip, when I hear that a R1200RT doesn't feel good I always wonder what is wrong with it. My RT flat out works for me. That said, when the pillion says they are happy, then it don't matter, sort of, what's going on. Your perceptions are valid. But not accepted as fact by everyone. I don't know you well enough to say you're full of shit.

The "Arionrod" you rode had premium suspension, the 12RTs did not from what I could tell. Jan's RT, although premium suspension in name was not premium in functionality. I'm glad to hear he is getting it sorted. Tire wear and psi is just as important. GS and GSA bikes are less portly than an RT no doubt. I'd like to send my RT to Jenny Craig for a few months. But even a Goldwing can be ridden fast. It's just hard work. Horsepower ain't the end all as Jan notes, Bullet can't be shaken on her GS650. How the HP is delivered makes a big difference. I love torque, and could care less about high HP.

All the good handling bikes you rode could have been set up well-in-the-ballpark and the bad ones not. Of course even Nicky Hayden can't get the Duc to work for him either the way he'd like so what works for you or me may not work for others. There have been few motorcycles I didn't like or couldn't make handle given some time. Some times I just had to ride them differently. Unlike Nicky, I don't make a living on them either.

I recently rode a BMW1100S. It looked like new and rode like a old truck. The owner(former MC cop) of the S rode my RT and said it was smooth, quick, and on rails compared to the S. So he went out and bought a new 1300S. His 1100S needed new tires and a suspension(front and rear Ohlins) adjustment for my liking, for sure.

My wife wasn't to thrilled with the stock 12RT seat, very happy with the custom seat. Juanita also remarked after the first 30 miles with the Ohlins on the bike that they were more comfortable for her. Sometimes I get lazy and she feels it when I don't change setting from solo to 2-up riding. Solo requires less pre-load. She knows.

I'm not sure the mono-shock is the reason for higher stepped seats. I think the pillion, being generally shorter, wants a better view and that may be the reason. Mrs. Whip is a tad shorter than Juanita, but if she doesn't like the position we can't argue that. Right! On the other hand if the step is too high the air blast may need managing. We opted for a different windscreen.

Enjoy the new to you GS.

Riding them back to back makes me think the KTM is some kinda ragged edged race bike that is made for Sundays only.

Which it is... :Wink:

I'm not sure what you're feeling on the 1150 but I don't think it's frame flex. On the oilheads the engine and transmission are the frame and believe me, they are not flexing. Perhaps more like a difference in shock valving or suspension geometry.

Okay...that's is what it feels like

What do ya call it when your riding in a straight line and you move the handlebars clockwise and then counter clockwise with short sharp direction changes and create a resonance in which the back of the bike(sub frame) is wagging like a dogs tail in the opposite direction of the handlebars. Something is flexing. The ZRX. FJR, KTM and the 1150GSA will do it. The Tuono, and my 2007 GSA would not do it??????

I tried it once on my HD and scared myself. The tail wouldn't stop wagging.

:wave:

I think Seth has it right. The KTM frame will do more flexing.

I think what you're feeling is a heavy bike without taut responses.

I never meant to imply the KTM did not flex. Matter of fact I meant to imply they both flex and Mrs. Whip likes them both.

As far the weight goes. Does not the 1150GS and the 1200RT weigh about the same?????

Hey Joe

All your points are well taken.

We tried a few aftermarket seats on our 1200RT.

FlyingGreg had stock shocks on his 1150RT and it is still the best RT I've ever been on. He wore em out a few years later and sold the bike to another member.

What do ya call it when your riding in a straight line and you move the handlebars clockwise and then counter clockwise with short sharp direction changes and create a resonance in which the back of the bike(sub frame) is wagging like a dogs tail in the opposite direction of the handlebars.

A sh1tty suspension. :grin:

I'm not dissing the 1150. Of all the variants, the 1150GS was a darn good bike, especially in their iteration of the brakes. It's more substantial as a two-up bike, too, which helps the ride. But the feeling a passenger gets would really be a slight wallowing tendency. That same tendency when pushed a bit can make it fairly unwieldy compared to the 12GS.

Ya runnin' a big knobby on the rear?

And how bout' the ride height? Ya saggin'?

And ya get the same effects runnin' 1 up?

MB>

Why don't we do a wife swap :grin: The Mrs HATES the GSA!!! Calls it the Bavarian Torture Machine!!! Anyway...I have no idea why she would like that ride over a 4 banger and the like. Women are funny about things.....this includes a bike. Hope no females read this or I'm toast!!!!!!!!!

So this is why I am in the hunt for a new street machine. When and if it ever cools down here she will pester me for a ride to wherever and the GSA is not gonna work. Hopefully it will stay 115 for a few months and I will be of the hook!!!

Congrats...and if you wanna do Alaska next summer let me know.

HP, maybe not so big a deal.

Not always :wave:

But it's true that more HP can not compensate for a lack of skill.

Larry, I hope you & the Mrs. have found a keeper.

Look at all the fun you had getting to this point:grin:

"Yo baby, come and read what Dave wrote!" :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Whip you are one hell of a salesman, ya got me looking in the want adds for an 1150 GSA now. Anything to make the incredibly lucky Mrs. Banjo happy.

Nada lists the 1150GSA @ 546 lbs (dry) and the 1200RT @ 505 lbs (dry) So I recon the GSA weighs more? Does it feel heavier? It sounds like they're weighing the RT without bags?

Why don't we do a wife swap :grin: The Mrs HATES the GSA!!! Calls it the Bavarian Torture Machine!!! Anyway...I have no idea why she would like that ride over a 4 banger and the like. Women are funny about things.....this includes a bike. Hope no females read this or I'm toast!!!!!!!!!

So this is why I am in the hunt for a new street machine. When and if it ever cools down here she will pester me for a ride to wherever and the GSA is not gonna work. Hopefully it will stay 115 for a few months and I will be of the hook!!!

Mrs Whip hated the 1200 Gs Adventure too.

Firefight911

Mrs Whip hated the 1200 Gs Adventure too.

As did Jamie!!! Hated it is not a strong enough word!

Does it feel heavier?

Only on the center stand, but I think that has more to do with where the center stand is located. At the slowest of speeds it has a balance to it that makes it very easy to do slow speed very tight u-turns and such. For some reason I can ride it to a complete stop and not be in a hurry to put my feet down. Hard to explain, I've never had a bike feel like that before.

That's probably because of the Tele Lever front?

My previous bikes with conventional front ends were much heavier steering at slow speeds. (But they gave better feed back at high speeds) I'll it feels lighter at slow speeds compared to the KTM?

For 13 months and 13,000 miles I've been looking at that Tele Lever, scratch'in my chin, and wondering why? Others with RTs have said it's sturdier, and more solid, but for an ST, S, or R, it seems like to much un-sprung weight.

But as you pointed out it's very light steering at low speeds, even with SOs and all their stuff on-board. The low CG helps too.

Does it feel heavier?

Only on the center stand, but I think that has more to do with where the center stand is located. At the slowest of speeds it has a balance to it that makes it very easy to do slow speed very tight u-turns and such. For some reason I can ride it to a complete stop and not be in a hurry to put my feet down. Hard to explain, I've never had a bike feel like that before.

I think that is the GS geometry, more dirt like geometry.

Francois_Dumas

Man! You don't have work to do or something !?? :grin:

Interesting read, Larry. I can't really discuss, having only had the 1150RT so far. I only know that Mrs. D. likes it enough to come with me all the time.

Having tried the 1200RT and 1200GS's a few times, I personally liked the GS for handling and power, but am still very happy with the 1150RT and since not much money is available for 'experimenting' with anything, it'll be the one we'll like to ride for some time to come.

Oh, and so far everything is still stock....

Having said that, I'd sure like to have a more experienced rider check out the 'settings' one time, that might be interesting.

:)

Regarding your comments on the Telelever and unsprung weight. Some riders comment on the TeleLever feedback as "numb" when comparing with standard forks. I find the feedback is just "different" and have never had any issues with it.

Okay I will chime in having had both the 1150 and 1200 GSA's.

1.)The seat on the 1150 GSA is the only seat that I did not have to change out of the 7 BMW's I have previously owned. Idid the BB1500 on my 1150 and my arse never bothered me once. Bench type seating was great for moving around on the bike.

2.) The difference as I remember between the 1150 and 1200 GSA were substantial. The 1150 felt more planted and more secure.

3.) My choice between the two if I were buying again would be the 1150.

I find this discussion interesting. I had a R1150R and now a R1200RT. Off hand, now that I think about it, the R1150R did seem a little more plush, while the R1200RT may be a little more firm. But I didnt really ride the 2 back to back on a set of twisty roads. But I didn;tthin kthe difference was striking.

IN the end, the R1200RT offers more passenger room than the roadster and has a noticeable bump in power and of course wind protection. The lack of wind protection was the major reason I sold the R1150R and was a deciding factor of the RT over the GS.

Ok now, I guess I’ve got to chime in here. I have the 1200 GSA but with the Sargent low seat. I note that with the “regular” not low version of the BMW GSA seat, the rider and passenger seat are at the same level so it shouldn’t be much different than the 1150 GSA bench seat. However, most 1200 GSA riders opt for the “low” version of the BMW seat or go with an aftermarket seat as I did. When you go with an aftermarket low seat, the passenger seat is then much taller than the rider seat. It is apples and oranges to compare the seating on a 1200 with low rider seat and an 1150 with standard bench seat. As I had mentioned earlier, I’m getting my new Russell seat in a week or so and had them cut down the passenger seat even more so it will be on the same level as the rider seat. Not for passenger comfort because I only ride solo but because I like to move back occasionally and it makes it much easier.

With respect to handling, I had an 1150RT with Ohlins suspension and a 1200RT with ESA. Without question, my 1150 handled better but I cannot tell you it was because it was an “1150” vs a “1200” or the suspension. I suspect it was because of the Ohlins. I never compared them in an apples to apples comparison. Clearly the 1200 is lighter and quicker and has cruise so it would be my preference but the 1150 as I had it configured, was better in the twisties.

I’d like to hear from others with both 1150 GSA and 1200 GSA experience. If you’re out there, chime in.

There you go Whip, I think we can stretch this thread out for another week or so!! :wave:

Does it feel heavier?

I think that is the GS geometry, more dirt like geometry.

I disagree. The Big Katoom has the more dirt-bike-like geometry, thus it works so much better in the dirt than the the GS. But then, the 950 has been know to smoke a sport bike or three on the tarmac. :grin:

Don't get me wrong, the GS is a wonderfull bike. I had one, although not an Adv. But I did put ADV suspenders on it to jack it up a bit.

As for handling, I had NO problems with it in the tightest of twisties, on 115 between Maggie Valley & Asheville in NC. On TKC80's, no less. The best 3.5 mile stretch of blacktop I've ever been on!

Enjoy the kool-aid, Whip. :rofl:

Hey John

My 1150 GSA has a sargent low seat.

I though you mention that one of the reasons Mrs. Whip liked the KTM was the "bench" seat. With the Sargent low (like on my 1200), I don't really see that much difference in the bikes to "hate one" and "love the other" from a passenger perspective. What am I missing

Hey John

My 1150 GSA has a sargent low seat.

I thought you mention that one of the reasons Mrs. Whip liked the KTM was the "bench" seat. With the Sargent low (like on my 1200), I don't really see that much difference in the bikes to "hate one" and "love the other" from a passenger perspective. What am I missing

Read the last few lines of my original report.

... or ...

You can ask Mrs Whip at Torrey..... :S

BTW....your welcome to ride my GS in Torrey and see what ya think.

L

My Mrs. won't get on the bike. Period. After reading this thread, I am thinking I have avoided some serious complexity.

Nah... you just saved a little money is all... eventually they get tired of riding behind and want to either ride in front or ride one of their own... )))

Regards -

-Bob

Regarding your comments on the Telelever and unsprung weight. Some riders comment on the TeleLever feedback as "numb" when comparing with standard forks. I find the feedback is just "different" and have never had any issues with it.

to quote those guys who play in Luckenbach... It ain't bad it's just different..

Larry, I like the GSA you have, and it looked good parked next to my RT in NH! Hopefully you got that buzzy crash bar worked out.

I have ridden only 1100 or 1200 motors in this category (R1100s, 2 R1100RTs my 1200GS and a short ride on a 1200RT). Like Shawn said, there is nary a finer machine for simple and smooth power delivery than the 5 speed 1100 setup. And, the 1100RT is the best looking of the bikes out there...

All that said, I bought my 12GS for more power better efficiency and for the unpaved surface manners it has. It also wheelies far better than my RT :rofl:

I think my current 1100RT is probably the most comfortable of the bikes I've owned, maybe because the design keeps the passenger in close to the center of rotation of the bike. I'm no engineer, but I did stay in a HIE last week.

My GS, while more FUN to ride is also more WORK to ride. The power band and gear selection are that different. Brakes? The same story. My son likes riding on the back of it probably because he likes being jostled about more than Mrs. Whip does. I think your thinking on the "moment arm" of the seat/subframe etc is spot on.

Bottom line, if this bike works for you guys and it gets you where you want it to keep it forever

That bike must be parked like that for eyeballing that jump down, awesome to see that it wasn't to big for the 1150 GS.

Whip,

Why do you think the KTM is getting old and not a bike that can just be maintained into some very high miles?

598623740_kKc5Y-L.jpg

Whip,

Why do you think the KTM is getting old and not a bike that can just be maintained into some very high miles?

When parts of the engine case start wearing out....you know you got issues.

576536145_ETskk-L.jpg

When parts of the engine case start wearing out....you know you got issues.

Hmmm... wonder how much a new engine case costs or new engine costs versus a new bike... and... would a new engine change the feel of the bike ???

Regards -

-Bob

Archived