IGNORED

ABS brake bleed. . . .did I get ripped off?

RT Pilot

Just picked up my 04 RT from the dealer--total bill for brake-bleed was $373 (5 hrs. labor). This sounds high to me. . .what's everyone else paying for this service? NOTE: They did nothing but bleed the ABS system, control circuits and wheel circuits, and run associated diagnostics.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

what's everyone else paying for this service?

About $5.00. The cost of a can of DOT4 from the dealer, cheaper if you buy from the local Pep-Boys.

I know that doesn't help a lot, but it does point out that you could save a lot of money in the future.

Stan

This is very close to the price I was quoted for control circuit/wheel circuit bleed at my local dealer. When quoted the price, they told me to "don't even think about doing it myself" because of all of the special tools and the critical nature of the ABS system. That statement and the cost is what motivated me to perform the bleed myself utilizing the excellent step-by-step instructions with photos in the M/C FAQ on this website. Total material cost was around $100 first time around, including Speed Bleeders; material cost next time will be only the cost of brake fluid. Total time commitment on my part, including installation of Speed Bleeders, was around 5 hours, including clutch bleed, acting slowly and deliberately as I had no experience with this procedure. Next time, I think I can get it down to around 3 hours or so. Since the wheel circuits are a recommended annual procedure, you might want to consider doing it yourself next time to save some $$.

Doesn't seem a total rip-off. High, but not outrageous.

As mentioned, if you are a DIYer, next time learn how to do it yourself here. Plenty of guidance and experience.

As a matter of fact I think this board pioneered DIY ABS Flush and Bleed! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Blue Beemer Dude
hi rich

how do you go about bleeding and flushing the abs on the r1100rt.

Well, I'm not Rich, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once, so let me tackle this one.

The R1100 is actually much simpler, since you don't have that nasty EVO computer thingie. Just bleed it like you would any normal bike or car...

If you don't know how to do that, just follow the 1150 instructions for the wheel circuits, ignore the control circuit mess. And you don't have to remove the tupperware and gas tank (you lucky dog)! clap.gif

Michael

My LD quoted me more than that, for the control and wheel circuit service. I thought it was outrageous, and chose to do it myself.

Can you say "Tech Daze?"

I've done some wrenching, and some brakes, but I didn't know how to to do the EVO brake bleed, and was a little hesitant to dive in with just the written instructions - so I hosted a Tech Daze at my house. (Two, actually, but nobody at the first one knew the brake routine, so I threw another one.)

In the end, it cost me a fair bit less than the BMW shop would have charged, and took a several days of preparation, participation, and cleanup. But I met a lot of great people, learned a bunch about my bike, had a ton of fun, ate some good food, and in the end my bike was serviced and got my service book stamped!

(I had a stamp made which should be making the Tech Daze rounds...)

TDStamp.jpg

If you can't find a TD near you, just HOST one!

Sure, it's a bit of work, and little money, but the payback is worth it...

Grins,

Greg

Call and get another quote from Haps BMW in Sarasota Florida. I heard they were a very good and fair shop. They charged me $90 or $100 for the brake bleed. I say they screwed you up, down , left and right. Sorry to hear it. Have a few normal quotes from other shops faxed to you and bring it to your dealer and tell him there must be a mistake and see if he does anything. It wouldn't hurt .

Here's an update: I contacted another dealer who told me that they'd charge $90 for the brake bleed. I went back to the dealer that overcharged me and had a discussion with the service manager. It seems that instead of just doing the wheel circuits, they did the whole ABS system (according to the maint. schedule, this needs to be done every 24000 mi. or two years). I reminded him that when I dropped the bike off, I told him to do the maintenance on the brake system per the maint. schedule (yearly brake bleed of the wheel circuits only). The bike has only 9000 miles on it and is less than a year old, so obviously it needed the 24,000 service, right??!!!!! Well, that's what the tech apparently thought. Long story short, they gave me a refund of $175, but fell short of admitting any wrongdoing. I still ended up paying more than another shop would have charged, but it's the only BMW dealer close to me, and I'm still under warrantee, so I gotta maintain some semblance of a relationship. . . .think it was fair??

Glad to hear you got some money back. I ride from Daytona Beach to Sarasota Fl. when I need something done. I would ride further than that if I had to rather than let a bad dealer work on my bike. Search around and ask people on this board who is good and make a day trip or even a weekend trip if you must to do business with a reputible dealer.

I think, if they did work that was not called for -- neither by the owner nor the official schedule -- then the refund was inadequate. Excess work should be their loss and they should have owned up to it.

Or you could consider that you have $100 credit with them against future work. wink.gif

My bike is due for the wheel circuits only. I called my local shop and was quoted $400 to $450! Although I plan to do it myself, I'm going to call back in a couple days and see if I get quoted the same thing again.

And one other question(s). . .I think I already know the answer, but here goes: Is it possible to bleed the wheel circuits without removing the tupperware? How about for the entire ABS system? Thanks in advance!

Rob

Is it possible to bleed the wheel circuits without removing the tupperware? How about for the entire ABS system?

No, you MUST remove the gas tank to get to the ABS servo on bikes with the whizzy brakes. For both the wheel circuits and the control circuits.

And you must remove the right side tupperware for the clutch.

I should also point out that it isn't just bleeding that is being done here on a routine basis. It's a flushing of the entire circuit with all new brake fluid.

Stan

Archived