IGNORED

Broke foot peg !?!

der Wanderer

der Wanderer

As I was riding on the Cascade loop today, I found myself without foot peg. Instead I have a stub - broken aluminum and no more rubber.

I suspect the peg may have been weakened or maybe broken earlier (maybe from a bike drop in the past) and gave up on a sharp curve when I was a bit too aggressive. I have the Suburban peg lowering kit and that makes the peg more prone to touching...

I finished the last 250 miles of the ride with just the stub; not really disturbing apart from braking - I had a hard time finding the correct pressure, and that led to some interesting experiments, fortunately none of which turn bad.

That sounds a little scary. I have the Suburban kit too and am always just a little worried every time I stand up on the pegs.

I would give a call to the Suburban people and see if they'll help you out on this one. They're pretty customer oriented. Either way, they should know.

How did you keep from crashing the bike when the peg first broke ???

I depend on my pegs a lot for helping me shift my weight around the bike and lifting up when crossing railroad tracks and unavoidable pot-holes... plus those nice large BUMPS they put in the roads at bridges during construction...

Regards -

-Bob

der Wanderer

I don't look at this at all as something Suburban bears any responsibility for. My pegs were lowered, but I did that on purpose. Not their fault if it touched on a lean. I don't believe it broke due to that only - I suspect it must have been damaged on a earlier tip over. I did not take enough of a shock to break it. Indeed I would likely have crashed otherwise.

This is not going to change my mind on the Suburban kit - makes my knees really happy, and is very well done.

Archived