IGNORED

Garmin 276C Locking Up

Limecreek

My Garmin 276c locked up the other day and wouldn't respond at all. I couldn't even shut it down. Pulling and reinstalling the battery cleared up the problem. I contacted Garmin via email for advice. Garmin responded quickly and asked that I ship the unit back to them, but did not offer any explanation for the unit locking up.

I’m reluctant to send the unit in for repair, mostly because I hate to be without it for the next two weeks (gadget junkie) and it hasn’t given me any problems since the one and only lockup. I’ve had it for 10 months and up to now it has performed flawlessly.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Did it continue? What was the problem?

I've been using the 276C regularly for over a year and have never experienced a problem similar to yours. Perhaps you should wait and see if it happens again before sending back to Garmin. Good luck.

Brian

I had the same thing happen to my 276C in May of this year. As with yours, removing the battery and reinstalling got it working again. I had no more trouble until the MOA rally. After the closing ceromonies when I was getting ready to leave I couldn't get it to turn on. It would make a slight beep and if you looked very closely you could see a little garbage on the display. Garmin replaced it for me under warranty. It took less then two weeks after I shipped it to receive the replacement.

My Garmin 276c locked up the other day and wouldn't respond at all. I couldn't even shut it down. Pulling and reinstalling the battery cleared up the problem.

I would get this all the time with the Streetpilot III ... it was rare but tended to happen when calculating routes in particularly vexing territory, like around Newark NJ. Not a fatal problem. A hard reset (where the unit turns on and thinks it is in Kansas) probably isn't a bad idea.

Just to be safe, I'd also check the drain plug. Can't hurt.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I have a GPS V that locks up every once in a while and requires the batteries to be removed for shut down. From what I can tell, it tends to be when I stand up and the coily cord of my Autocomm gets near/over the GPS antenna. I haven't tried putting a capacitor in the power line as a filer, but I'm considering it. I also have no idea whether this will work.

Archived