IGNORED

Broken windshield support

curlesw

One of the upper windshield support arms broke on my 05 RT. I have ordered a new arm, will be in next week. Couple of questions:

1. Is this common?

2. What's the trick to removing the clips?

Poor picture attached,

Thanks.

Wayne C.

05 R1200RT

4624.thumb.jpg.158286773a3cb262f490914a7b6c318c.jpg

Aftermarket, not sure what brand. I don't have a picture readily available but it does have a "lip" at the top of the windshield, I assume to allow the air to flow higher above the rider.

Wayne C.

05 R1200RT

West Tool, call to order- not on their website. $80 per set and won't break because they're not pot metal junk like the stockers.

More common with aftermarket larger windshields and bikes with more miles/vibration. Its basically simple fatigue failure. Not sure of frequency but you wlll have no trouble finding other examples on BMW sites if you search for them.

West Tool, call to order- not on their website. $80 per set and won't break because they're not pot metal junk like the stockers.

More common with aftermarket larger windshields and bikes with more miles/vibration. Its basically simple fatigue failure. Not sure of frequency but you wlll have no trouble finding other examples on BMW sites if you search for them.

Or more correctly, West Tool arms are designed to carry aftermarket screens. The stock arms are designed to carry BMW designed screens and do not seem to break with the stock screen but do so with some regularity on larger aftermarket screens.

Andy

Andy, I know a guy that has broken two links using a stock windshield.. He rides a lot of very rough back roads at high speeds with the windshield all the way up.. Not sure the windshield being all the way up made much difference but the rough roads surly did..

I can understand the original failures (under engineered or under tested) but can’t understand why BMW hasn’t changed their design to improve those links (or have they?) My 09 RT looks to have slightly different links but without a true side by side comparison I can’t tell for sure.. Anybody heard of a link failure on the 09 RT’s?

Twisty

Definitely get the West Tool arms. Mine finally went, Cee Bailey screen so I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

For me, it happened when I did not lower the shield all the way down on a rough dirt road.

I went ahead and replaced both arms. Very simple. I took the opportunity of cleaning the those little wings on each side of the screen as I took the front dash off to do my install.

They are definitely more beefy. I have read that the originals are pot metal so that they will break off if you go through the shield in an accident but I am not sure about the validity of the message but it makes sense.

Anyways, you will be pleasantly surprised by the replacement arms.

I have read that the originals are pot metal so that they will break off if you go through the shield in an accident but I am not sure about the validity of the message but it makes sense.

Now, this brings up another question.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Got the exact same failure on 2008 RT. Where can I find these West Tool arms. Google didn't help? Warranty is covering it but parts are backordered....so who knows when I will see them.

Thanks.

Hi,

Got the exact same failure on 2008 RT. Where can I find these West Tool arms. Google didn't help? Warranty is covering it but parts are backordered....so who knows when I will see them.

Thanks.

Don Westra

West Tool & Design inc.

1220 North Tower Road

Fergus Falls, MN 56537

218-739-4990

Don@westtoolff.com

www.westtoolff.com

Best 90 bucks you will ever spend!

Don't make the mistake of just changing the broken one, go ahead and get em both while you're at it.

Don't ask how I know that!

Rocket_Cowboy

I've got to get these ordered myself. Having one of the arms break on Day 7 of the IBR was no fun ... though I did get to find out just how much gas mileage I'm losing by running this big screen.

• 2 years later...

When I test rode a 2012 RT I noticed the links look the same as my '06 but there is cross bracing between the 2 sides of the windshield support frame. I always thought side-to-side shake is what caused them to break.

Keith

I broke a lower one this spring. They are NOT available to buy alone. You have to but the entire windshield motor unit at somewhere north of $450 as I remember. I took mine to a local machine shop and they welded it up and I did a lot of filling to make it work. I keep my windshield down almost all the time now.

{snip}...Is there any call for me to make the lower ones ???

I'd say you'll have a pretty good market if you do! Considering the cost of the whole motor/arm assembly, and the number of years this assembly has been put into production, whoever is "first to market" will have excellent potential.

West aftermarket mounts are high quality, well-machined, and readily available. Got mine in 3 days, took 30 minutes to install both. Good work, Don

Pat in KC

I have broken both of my lower arms. I made new ones from steel and have had no further issues. The lower arms rotate on an 8mm shaft which is gear driven by the motor. I found shaft sleeves already made and was able to weld duplicate arms to them to make my new ones. I have one extra set that I made. They DO require some fitting to install (I had to file my original hex shaft slightly to get them to slide on).

I have broken both of my lower arms. I made new ones from steel and have had no further issues. The lower arms rotate on an 8mm shaft which is gear driven by the motor. I found shaft sleeves already made and was able to weld duplicate arms to them to make my new ones. I have one extra set that I made. They DO require some fitting to install (I had to file my original hex shaft slightly to get them to slide on).
PM sent Tim
  • 1 month later...
West aftermarket mounts are high quality, well-machined, and readily available. Got mine in 3 days, took 30 minutes to install both. Good work, Don

Pat in KC [/quote

Would you mind taking a photo of your support arm? I'd like to compare them with the ones from Beemer Boneyard.

Thanks!

Archived