IGNORED

Linking vacuum nipples on TB

NonComp

My roadster has vacuum nipples on each TB. Normally, they are capped off when not used for TB balance. The caps dried out and cracked, so I had to come up with a new cap.

What are the pros and cons of linking the two nipples together with a single vacuum line? Does this provide a little extra balance between TBs, or do the pulses upset each other?

Glen, yes in the old days some of us did just that.. In fact the factory linked both sides with a vacuum line whenever the bike had an emission canister on it..

I seriously doubt you will gain anything by just linking the vacuum nipples together with a vacuum hose (at least I never showed any gain that way).. The only time I could feel any difference at all was to drill the vacuum nipples out as far as possible (to increase air flow) then use a large diameter vacuum hose necked down to nipple OD on each side.. Really not worth the all the work,, especially if you use a water manometer to set idle balance precisely..

Twisty

Thanks Twisty. I was more concerned about doing something that would have a negative impact. It's just more convenient for me to have one tube (I recycled the old battery overflow line) than to try and source two caps that would fit.

Glen, if you cut the line in half then run those ends up under the seat then plug the ends with a golf Tees or 6mm screws you can easily check the TBI balance in the future without messing with the plastic..

Twisty

Archived