IGNORED

Spline Lube

Lockguy

This is one of those horses that has been rode to death before I suspect, but here goes. I have an 04RT that is approaching 40K. I am wondering what the opinions, statistics, and actual experience is for spline lubeing or not. I wonder if pulling the transmission to lube the spline has the chance of creating more problems than it prevents. My plan is to ride the bike as long as it is reliable. I have put about 35k on the bike in the last 2 years and have done all of my own maintenance. Pulling the transmission is not something I am looking forward to.

Thanks

Curtis

Potentially, while pulling the transmission to lube the splines, you have the chance to create more problems. By doing it sensibly and correctly you reduce those chances to next to nothing.

I don't think nobody (except maybe BMW workshops) actually look forward to do this piece of maintenance, but the splines can only benefit from it.

While in there it also gives you the chance to inspect everything along the way. (swingarm bearings, clutch, etc.)

Concerning the clutch; my advise would be to get your hands on a brass sintered clutch disc beforehand.... just in case you need one.

This is actually a pretty tough call. If everything else is in good shape then spline lubes aren't strictly necessary... a majority of owners finally pull their bike apart only to find dry, rusty splines in perfect condition. But... if a bike happens to have any kind of problem such as a latent alignment issue then lubrication can help to extend spline life. Just one of those calls an owner has to make.

Paul Mihalka

My last three bikes all had total clutch spline failure. '99 R1100RT at 100.000 miles. Repaired. No more failures and bike has now close to 200K miles with second owner. '02 R1150R at 29.000 miles. Repaired with new gearbox as serious misalignment was suspected. New box was partial "good will" warranty by BMWNA. '05 R1200GS at 70.000 miles. Repaired with installation of a gearbox from a 3.000 mile '07 R1200RT because it was available.

My tentative plan is to check the splines of the R1200GS at around 100K miles and install a clutch disk from these people: http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmw_clutches.html .

I agree, hard to call.

I did spline lubes on my two RT's when each was at 70,000 miles. Splines were polished but still almost perfect on both bikes. I plan to do them again after another 60-70,000 miles on each. Pictures of both bike's splines were posted on this site at the time, but probably no longer available.

It was a more expensive undertaking on the '96 R1100RT as I decided that the clutch disc didn't have another 70,000 miles remaining life so I replaced the entire clutch assembly, updating to the later designed parts. The R1150's clutch disc was better, only about 30% worn, and is still in the bike at 111,000 miles.

In hind-sight, it wasn't really needed but did boost my confidence in how the bike was holding up. Educational too.

Stan

When I had the splines lubed at 70K miles we found that the clutch slave cylinder was leaking which saved me a clutch problem. We also got to see that there was plenty of clutch material left. The splines were dry but not worn.

This is one of those horses that has been rode to death before I suspect, but here goes. I have an 04RT that is approaching 40K. I am wondering what the opinions, statistics, and actual experience is for spline lubeing or not. I wonder if pulling the transmission to lube the spline has the chance of creating more problems than it prevents. My plan is to ride the bike as long as it is reliable. I have put about 35k on the bike in the last 2 years and have done all of my own maintenance. Pulling the transmission is not something I am looking forward to.

Thanks

Curtis

I did the lube on mine('04 RT) at 42k miles, mostly for peace of mind, but also because Paul Glaves makes the point that two metal parts moving against each other should be lubed. I found mine were dry but like new. It's not astrophysics but requires patience and the check list I have was a big help.

If you want a copy of it, PM me with an email address and I'll send you a copy.

Thanks for all the input. Now I have to make one of those executive decisions. I am leaning toward putting it off till about 50k unless I get bored this winter. Not much chance of that though, since we ride year round here in the Northwest.

Thanks again

Curtis

Archived