IGNORED

Stainless Steel verses Blued Metal

tbloomq

Hi folks, I am looking for a deer rifle and have gravitated towards a lever action Marlin 336 30/30. Is buying a stainless steel version worth the extra $100? For me, that's both a residual value and a "rust" prevention question.

According the website, they both weigh the same. I don't have a preference on the looks.

Tom

If you don't care about appearance one way or the other and the rifle will be see inclement weather then I'd definitely go with the stainless.

Dave McReynolds

One advantage of blued steel is that it is less visable than stainless steel. You may have to camoflage the stainless steel barrel when you hunt with it, whereas I don't know of anyone who bothers to camoflage a blued steel barrel. I had a blued steel barrel on my rifle in Vietnam, and have had blued steel barrels on all my hunting rifles and shotguns since, and have never had any problems with rust, provided you wipe down them down when you use them or when they get wet.

Well that's a good point. I guess I was thinking about low-maintenance (for target shooting, long-term storage of defense firearms, etc.) Didn't think about the visibility aspect... guess I don't kill enough things to give advice on hunting topics... :grin:

Is it a synthetic stock? I ask because a wood stock on a SS rifle is sort of a misnomer if the purpose is protection from the elements.

Is it a synthetic stock? I ask because a wood stock on a SS rifle is sort of a misnomer if the purpose is protection from the elements.

Good point David! Here is the info from their website- American black walnut pistol grip stock with fluted comb; cut checkering; rubber rifle butt pad; nickel-plated swivel studs.

One advantage of blued steel is that it is less visable than stainless steel. You may have to camoflage the stainless steel barrel when you hunt with it, whereas I don't know of anyone who bothers to camoflage a blued steel barrel. I had a blued steel barrel on my rifle in Vietnam, and have had blued steel barrels on all my hunting rifles and shotguns since, and have never had any problems with rust, provided you wipe down them down when you use them or when they get wet.

I plan on hunting pigs and deer. Pigs are known for bad eyesight. Not sure if it would bother them.

Dave McReynolds

Deer have very good eyesight. I think if I were hunting deer with a rifle with a stainless steel barrel, I would want it camoflaged. Not that that's a big deal. You could run a couple of strips of camoflage tape down the barrel and then take it off when you were done.

I'd probably just get the blued finish, then, unless you care about the looks. The weather will have a lot more impact on the stock than the barrel.

I love the look of stainless, but I always reach for blued. Those shiny silver barrels can be seen for 75+ yards out in the woods.......and thats speaking from experience. All of my hunting rifles/shotguns have blued barrels, but my sidearm revolver is stainless.

My goto deer rifle is an old WW2 German issued 8mm Mauser sniper rifle. Its a beast, but I've never missed with it. 60+ years old, a war, who knows how many hands it passed through, and me dragging it through the woods for 25+ years, it still doesn't have a spec of rust on it.

Go for both.... get the stainless, get some rustoleum hi temp header paint in flat black.... bingo.

I'm inclined to think that a guy from California doesn't need to worry about getting stainless. Even if you take it up to Alaska for a hunting trip, you're not likely to be there long enough for it to be a big issue. Just clean it up when you get home.

Chuck U Farley

A 3030 lever action tends to be a good brush gun. This means spot and stalk will probably be the preferred method of hunting game such as deer and hogs which is relatively close range shooting. I would go with a matte black or parkerized finish for additional stealth.

BTW Keith I have one of those fine ol'WWII Karabiner 98k 8mm Mausers. It sure is a sweet shooter for an open sights gun.

Archived