IGNORED

Where's the helmet lock

Andrew Falanga

Andrew Falanga

Another questions that's been "eating" at me. My 96 R1100RT manual states that there is a helmet lock on the bike. I've looked over the part of the bike mentioned in the manual and I can't find it to save my life. I'm actually wondering if it is somehow tied, or otherwise part of, the stock seat. The gentleman I purchased the bike from, sold me the bike with a Corbin Day Saddle seat instead of the stock seat.

Andy

It's under your rear seat. Little bit of metal off to the side. You need to remove said seat and then place d ring on metal then replace the seat. Not the most useful feature on a rt.

ShovelStrokeEd

There isn't a helmet lock on an RT.

There is a hook under the passenger seat and, when delivered from the factory, there was a short cable with loops on both ends. Remove passenger seat, slip cable around chin bar of helmet (or through D-rings) and slip the loops over the hook, then replace the seat. All in all, a PITA when you are just heading into the convenience store for a drink.

I just put my helmet atop the tank and go about my business. If the area is shady or I'll be away from the bike for some time/distance, I carry it with me.

My helmet lock was found at an aftermarket store. :grin:

If it makes you feel any better, my last Honda had a similar problem. The helmet lock was located where you could actually find and use it. However, some designer decided to locate it where it could not be used if you added any kind of saddlebag tot he bike. :dopeslap: The useable helmet lock on that bike was an aftermarket accessory too.

I use this one ( Helmet Guardian ) and haven't had any problems with it. It isn't all that secure, but I mostly want to keep it from walking away with a casual thief (someone serious will get the helmet no matter what I do). It also helps keep some nitwit (usually me) from dropping the helmet accidentally when he/she brushes against the bike.

I used a couple of Bungee Buddies attached to the bottom of my rear case, which is on the bike 99.9% of the time.

orig.jpg

The clip on the left is great for a quick and secure place to hang the helmet during short stops...no more watching your helmet tumble off the seat and bounce/roll down the parking lot. The one on the right is used with a long shank padlock when more security is required. The padlock is just tossed in the rear case, key inserted, for when it is needed. This system is cheap and super easy to use.

There isn't a helmet lock on an RT.

There is a hook under the passenger seat and, when delivered from the factory, there was a short cable with loops on both ends.

I have no such short cable although I made my own. I purchased my bike brand new. I guess the dealer made off with the factory one. :rofl:

George Brown

I use this one ( Helmet Guardian ) and haven't had any problems with it.

+1 on the Helmet Guardian. I've had one for 9 years. I always leave it unlocked when riding and find it a convenient to hang the helmet on when I get off the bike. Don't have to worry about it falling off the seat or whatever. Only lock it when going to leave the bike out of sight.

I used a couple of Bungee Buddies attached to the bottom of my rear case, which is on the bike 99.9% of the time.

orig.jpg

The clip on the left is great for a quick and secure place to hang the helmet during short stops...no more watching your helmet tumble off the seat and bounce/roll down the parking lot. The one on the right is used with a long shank padlock when more security is required. The padlock is just tossed in the rear case, key inserted, for when it is needed. This system is cheap and super easy to use.

I've been using this same set-up ever since you posted it a few months ago... It works fantastic.

Prior to that I had one of the helmet locks that mounts behind the license plate but the factory mounting plate that the whole mess was attached to is not strong enough to hold up to the weight. It broke off and I was out a license plate and the helmet lock.

Chuck U Farley

My RT came with a metal 'bracket' that you loop through the d-ring that then has a tees on the end. The other end loops through the system case locking handle. It provides a fairly secure lock but if leaving in questionable area I just put my helmet in the system case. I believe it is a BMW part. Talk to your dealer.

Use a simple utility hook or whatever you want to hang the helmet and run this through it or the d-ring and secure to the frame. Just toss it in the tank bag when not using it. 3 foot cable lock. Check your local bicycle stores.

lockw.jpg

orig.jpg

This is brilliant. I will get the bungie buddies this weekend. Thanks for the idea.

If you have a top case you can always put your helmet in there. Just lean the helmet over to the right a little and the lid will close. I bring my helmet cover and slip it on my helmet before I place it in the top case. Mine is an 04.

If you have a top case you can always put your helmet in there. Just lean the helmet over to the right a little and the lid will close. I bring my helmet cover and slip it on my helmet before I place it in the top case. Mine is an 04.

That is assuming that you don't already have a lot of stuff in the top case... )))

Regards -

-Bob

Andrew Falanga

Thanks everyone for the replies. The last reply (before mine) shows a picture of what I was expecting to find based on the description from the manual. However, it would seem that the RT doesn't have anything like this, and in fact the factory system seems to be near useless. Funny that BMW would excel in their quality and reliability and then miss something like this.

I have been using a simple bicycle cable wrapped through grate on which the back case sits. It works to keep the helmets "safe", but isn't as nice as it looks "shoddy." I like the sound of this Bungie Buddy thing, I'm probably going to that route unless I can find who mounted that helmet lock kiwiaudio referenced above. That looks awesome and just what I wanted.

Hey Andrew, I just saw my setup in the pictures folder under Misc. It is the first pic in the whole set and I only just now found it 2yrs after joining this site !

Seems this lock came from an R1100GS, although there may be more bikes that have it.

pip: GREAT idea! I wonder if this will work on the 1200RT. I don't always have the top case with me, and the side cases are occasionally full.

I have been using a simple bicycle cable wrapped through grate on which the back case sits. It works to keep the helmets "safe", but isn't as nice as it looks "shoddy."
You can also run bicycle cable through the sleeve of your riding jacket, so you can secure both when you are travelling and your bags are full.

I just hang my helmet off my right footpeg. This is adequate for most situations, and avoids the the sickening 'crack' when the helmet rolls off the seat and bounces on the ground.

I use a cable lock thru the chin bar if I'm going to be away for a while.

Mark

• 6 years later...

Doesn't really answer your question, but if you lay it on the side, a full faced helmet will fit inside the tail trunk, shut and locked.

Doesn't really answer your question, but if you lay it on the side, a full faced helmet will fit inside the tail trunk, shut and locked.

None of mine do.

The BMW top case is amazingly small for its physical size.

That's why I fitted a Givi box.

I can, however, fit my helmet into either pannier (but it is really fiddly with just one place and it is very fiddly).

Abus makes coiled key lock cable locks that are top notch.

Have multiple.

Use for the bike, through bike cover and wheel.

Other for gear.

It will go through the sleeves of both of our jackets and helmet chinbars.

I've used it for pants/jacket/helmet combos also.

Coils up small, pick proof large enough diameter to require serious cutting implements.

Highly recommended.

Archived