IGNORED

Appologies for asking twice, where's the oil go

Andrew Falanga

Andrew Falanga

Hi,

Everyone, I'm very sorry. I asked this before, probably near 3 weeks ago, I was unable to get back on the site to view your answers. Simply put, I'm wondering where the oil goes.

As I've thought about things, I realize that I was delinquent in checking the oil at first. Much more time transpired than I had thought. Never the less, why would BMW recommend checking oil levels at every other fill-up? It just seems to me that the oil really "burns" up fast. Is it because of the higher rate the engines turn?

Again, sorry for not getting on the check answers. Away from work, I get very little time in front of the computer and when I do, I'm usually doing software development.

Andy

Look up along the top of the website page and see the MY STUFF. Click there. Click on POSTS. You can go to any of your own posts and see the answers.

left cylinder top rear, small black twist off cap on 1150RT. The less miles you have the more you have to check oil level. My bike with 70,000 miles burns very very little oil. When new I had to carry a half quart with me for every 1200 miles. Now I slightly overfill until the next oil change. A few ounces only.

Andrew Falanga
Look up along the top of the website page and see the MY STUFF. Click there. Click on POSTS. You can go to any of your own posts and see the answers.

Thank you. Now I won't annoy people with double posts.

Andrew Falanga
left cylinder top rear, small black twist off cap on 1150RT. The less miles you have the more you have to check oil level. My bike with 70,000 miles burns very very little oil. When new I had to carry a half quart with me for every 1200 miles. Now I slightly overfill until the next oil change. A few ounces only.

So, burning oil isn't all that weird for these machines?

So, burning oil isn't all that weird for these machines?

No, not for the first 30,000 miles.

It's my understanding that BMW uses VERY hard piston rings. It's part of what gives these engines such longevity. And the harder material takes longer to seat in. Thus, you'll get a bit of oil blow-by for a while on a new bike. That's why BMW recommends such frequent oil checks. Once your rings are fully seated (anywhere from 20K - 40K miles, you'll notice that the oil level doesn't change. Then you can just check it once every 1000 or 2000 miles. You'll learn what your bike likes.

On my RT, I got to the point where I didn't bother checking it at all between oil changes.

My R1100 used/burned a quart in about 1800 miles when I bought is with <4k miles,now I'll still waiting for the decreased consumption at about 66,000. Still uses a quart in 2000 miles regardless of oil type,Mobil One disappears the fastest.

I don't baby my bikes.

My K1100 is about the same with 77k on it.

Archived