IGNORED

White wall tire cleaner??

George Brown

George Brown

I'm trying to use the brand new 6-year old spare tire on my Explorer - it's a Michelin with raised white letters. The letters for the most part have yellowed or more accurately turned a tan color with some bright white spots. I have always had the best success using SOS pads to clean white walls but they don't seem to be cutting this tan - at least not as fast as I would like.

Any suggestions? TIA

Nice n Easy Rider

George,

It sounds like the stain may be a little deeper than just surface. You might try applying a 20% bleach solution and letting it sit awhile before rinsing it off and using the SOS pad and/or cleansers. I've found bleach can do wonders on deep stains.

I like Westley's Bleche-White. It's worked great for me on regular road grime on raised white lettering.

It might discolor concrete because I've noticed the area on the driveway where I apply it it a little different color than the rest of the driveway. That could be from the tire shire or wheel cleaner (most likely) too, but just fair warning.

pACE-1189903reg.jpg

I like Westley's Bleche-White. It's worked great for me on regular road grime on raised white lettering.

pACE-1189903reg.jpg

+1

Haven't used it in a long time, but that stuff worked great on white walls and raised white letters. Also cleaning rubber mats and vynil. Maybe too good on vynil.

George Brown

Did a google search last night for cleaning white walls and got several ideas. One described the same tan color that I had and suggested using 150 grit sandpaper. Tried that this morning for a few moments with success so I fired up my Dremel tool using a sanding drum - grit unknown but coarser than 150 probably about 60. Worked great - had all the letters sparkling white within 3 or 4 minutes. Need a light touch however or one could grind the letters off pretty quickly.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Archived