IGNORED

Price Comparison: Ohlins vs New ESA Struts R1200RT

marcopolo

A few of you may have read an earlier post in which I reported that I had swapped out my ESA struts for a set of Ohlins at the MOA rally in Tennessee in July. Out of interest I popped into my local dealer to price a set of new ESA struts for my RT (I had looked up the prices online before, but they were in U.S. dollars and I wanted to see the Canadian prices). Total cost -- parts only -- for the front and rear ESA struts (including taxes) is: $4,338.87 CDN. I have no idea how much the labour charge would be.

At the time, I said the primary reason I went with Ohlins vs. ESA was cost. This just reinforced my decision. My Ohlins, including installation, initial and final setup by Ohlins USA reps and TN sales tax, cost $1,720 US. That translated into just under $2,000 CDN. So ESA struts would have been more than twice the price of Ohlins -- and that does not include labour. That's a heavy price to pay for push-button convenience and struts that can't be re-built.

Yeah, replacement pricing and lack of rebuildability is a kind of glaring flaw in the ESA concept. You don't really buy the ESA option for your $750, rather just rent it for a while. :grin:

It's a shame that BMW doesn't have an option that puts that money towards some quality rebuildable shocks instead of ESA gimmickry but I guess the latter markets better in the showroom.

So ESA struts would have been more than twice the price of Ohlins -- and that does not include labour. That's a heavy price to pay for push-button convenience and struts that can't be re-built...

...and that are woefully inferior to Ohlins.

There are numerous posts here and elsewhere recommending Ohlins and other non-factory shocks as suitable replacements for the factory ESA shocks. To minimize the financial impact, it seems smart to "use up" the ESA shocks before replacing them, and then to replace them with something other than the ESA shocks.

In Canada, as mentioned above, the cost of replacing ESA's is prohibitive (so I won't be going there). My question is, should I just plan on Ohlins - or is there some ESA alternative here in the US that's comparably priced? Also, at what approx. mileage should I start to consider replacement? (Right now I'm at 16K mi. and the ESA system is fine).

In Canada, as mentioned above, the cost of replacing ESA's is prohibitive (so I won't be going there). My question is, should I just plan on Ohlins - or is there some ESA alternative here in the US that's comparably priced? Also, at what approx. mileage should I start to consider replacement? (Right now I'm at 16K mi. and the ESA system is fine).

Right now your options are to purchase some non-ESA aftermarket replacements (available from Ohlins, Works Performance, Wilbers, and perhaps others) or have Works Performance retrofit their product with your ESA hardware, providing rebuildability while retaining ESA functionality.

I was planning on going the Ohlins route but was just made aware that they don't have an offering for the K12/1300GT series :( so I guess I may go with the Works Performance retrofit when the time comes.

With regard to how long the stock system will last, that's largely dependent on the sensitivity of the user but 30-50k miles seems to be the usual range.

Another option is to keep your eye out for a lightly used pair of factory shocks. I bought a set of front and rear OEM ESA shocks for my '05RT for only $500. They only had 2400 miles on them and of course retained the full functionality of those that came on the bike.

Jay

Another option is to keep your eye out for a lightly used pair of factory shocks. I bought a set of front and rear OEM ESA shocks for my '05RT for only $500. They only had 2400 miles on them and of course retained the full functionality of those that came on the bike.

One thing to note that I learned in another thread is that there can be compatability issues between some ESA shocks and some bikes as BMW made some engineering changes at one point that could result in the need for an (apparently tricky) ZFE software update depending on what revision parts you buy. Also some ESA shocks require an initial calibration using the dealer's diagnostic box. So, depending on what you have and what you buy it may not be just a simple swap.

Right now your options are to purchase some non-ESA aftermarket replacements (available from Ohlins, Works Performance, Wilbers, and perhaps others) or have Works Performance retrofit their product with your ESA hardware, providing rebuildability while retaining ESA functionality.

I was planning on going the Ohlins route but was just made aware that they don't have an offering for the K12/1300GT series :( so I guess I may go with the Works Performance retrofit when the time comes.

With regard to how long the stock system will last, that's largely dependent on the sensitivity of the user but 30-50k miles seems to be the usual range.

The Works Performance option seems like the direction I'd go. I love the ESA function, and do not want to go without it. Especially after paying for it.

I wonder if Beemer Boneyard might be an option also.

I wonder if Beemer Boneyard might be an option also.

Yes, that is where I bought the used ones mentioned above (they even negotiated a bit on the price with me).

Jay

I had 80,000 kms (50,000) miles on my ESA shocks (much of that loaded and/or two-up) when I switched to Ohlins in July. I thought of the Works "ESA" option, but it was just too logistically cumbersome from where I live. Also, reading of the frustrations at least one member of the Board had in dealing with Works further reinforced the downside of the long-distance logistical challenge.

BTW, ESA strut prices in U.S. dollars are not exactly chump change either. Just the rear strut is $2,000 US.

Archived