IGNORED

R1200RT vs K1300 or other sport-tourers????

LuvsTouring

Dear List Members,

I have a serious case of bike fever and need help! I'm a 5'7", 32" inseam female rider who's owned cruisers (kawa vulcan and HD Heritage Softail). Two months ago, I rented a BMW R1200RT and did a 2700 mile ride, as part of my beginning foray into sport-touring.

I loved the RT, except for the ridiculous no-view mirrors (but I now know that can be easily remedied with GS mirrors), and my knees hurt (also can be fixed with after-market pegs). I've also test-ridden the Honda ST, which is out of the running b/c of too much heat off the engine, patently un-remarkable ride, and just doesn't look good w/o the bags. I've also test-ridden the K bike, but it's very difficult to compare a bike you ride for a test, and 1 you've ridden for 2700 miles. I've also ridden the 1200 GSA and really liked it, but at this time, it's not what I'm looking for b/c I'm really into a street-touring bike. Thus, I'd love to hear--and would appreciate--any comments from those of you who've owned or ridden any of the makers' sport-tourers, and why you chose the bike you now ride over the others.

Regards and Shiny Side up!

Joyce

Welcome!

I'm no expert since I haven't ridden any of those bikes, but the RT is the lightest sport tourer, and that makes it very user friendly.

Good luck on your pick.

Firefight911
I've also ridden the 1200 GSA and really liked it, but at this time, it's not what I'm looking for b/c I'm really into a street-touring bike.

The GS Adventure can't be used on the street? Who knew?

Seriously, if the Adventure works for you and stirs the desires for you then do not discount it over its looks and marketed use.

I have had the Adventure, ridden the RT quite a few miles and own the K13GT. I flat loved the Adventure and would most likely still have it except it wouldn't work for what I do a lot of in longer rides, 2up. My wife hated the back.

The RT just had no soul for me. I felt "unimpressed" with it. The GT flat rocks. It has the power, handling, great mirrors, looks, smoothness, and my wife won't get off it.

IMO, there is no better Sport Tourer than the GT. It has power to spare which makes passing a non-thought issue. I've gone 950 miles so far for my longest single day and when I got off I was more than ready for many more miles.

Whatever you get, try and set up a long test ride that allows you to experience many different situations that you will encounter. You need to know what you plan to use it for and ride it that way. For ewxample, if it is going to be your sport touring steed that only comes out for those long trips, that is one thing, but if you plan to commute and ride it daily to and fro, you need to ride it in this environ a lot. Coming from a cruiser to a sport tourer such as you are proposing brings about a whole different world in terms of livability on a daily basis. They are going to be considerable more top heavy, comparatively, and their slow speed, u-turn, light to light characteristics need to be judged. You would hate to get something that, after a month or two of ownership, you realize is a lot more work and, as a result, the bike just sits.

Also, if looking in to long stretches in a saddle, etc. you need to evaluate the little things that maybe never bothered you before. Wind management, etc. can become annoying with longer stretches in the saddle. Most anything can be addressed through the aftermarket but you want as complete a platform from the get go.

Hope this helps some. Keep us posted and ask, ask, ask. There are some fantastic people on this board and they are sure to have come across your situation/question so jump in and we'll get you going, if at all possible.

One final thought, get what stirs YOU irrespective of the opinions of others. Ultimately, the bike that works for you is the one that creates a stir in you so take the input but go with your gut when you are ready.

Oh, and invest in a good, educational track day with your new steed so you can start to learn the performance and capability of it. Whether you have 10,000 miles or 1,000,000 miles of experience, there really isn't much better education for the dollar to be had.

Welcome......

32" inseam gives you many choices. If you are a street queen then the GSA is out. The RT is a superb machine and has character. There are many used for sale at great prices. if you are speed freak then it isn't for you even though it is not a slug.

2 or 4 cylinders is your question. Seems like your cruisers have been 2 and that was adequate. I am returning to a 4 in the very near future but can't decide which one.

The 1300 GT is a great machine if you can afford the $$$. The FJR 1300 (which I love) is an option along with the Connie 14. That too is a machine I have ridden and fell in love with within the 1st 100 miles.

The ST1300 is antiquated and due for an update. Stay away from it b/c of its heat and old design. An update is due out in 2011.

So that leaves you with decisions and choices...don't forget the Guzzi or Ducs out there too. Good luck on your choices.

I can't compare with other brands, but I did put about 30,000 miles on an '04 GSA and now have an R1200RT. While both are VERY capable bikes, at the end of a 400+ mile day, I feel MUCH fresher stepping off the RT. Also, if you encounter much wet/cold weather, the RT will keep you much more "sheltered" (relatively speaking) than the GS. That said, I have started riding more two-up with my GF and in really windy conditions, the "turbine" power of the K1300 would be VERY welcome.

If funds are an issue, you should also take a look at the new Concours 14. I haven't ridden one, but it's a lot o' bike for the money. (You might want to check insurance rates on any of 'em before buying...)

I came to the RT from the Suzuki C50 Boulevard, which would be competitive with the smaller Vulcans. Like you, I rented an RT before buying. For me that was all it took, and now I regret that I didn't have the wisdom to look further at the time, as you are doing.

Don't get me wrong, the RT is a fantastic choice and I love my bike. 41k miles in 2 1/2 years, right! But I'm no longer sure it was the best choice. Increasingly I'm leaning towards one of the GS's, or something competitive with a GS. Rented a 1200 GS for a week last fall (not GSA), and really liked some of it's advantages. Wife has an RT and a 650 GS twin, so I've also ridden the 650 GS.

Like you, when I first came to BMW I didn't see the GS as a street tourer, but many, many folks use it as such and it is highly capable in that regard. In fact, it is the most versatile bike that BMW makes. Some would say it's actually a more sporty ride on the street than the RT, and you get the ability to more comfortably extend your riding to mild dirt roads (not that our RT's have not seen dirt :grin:).

A question: Many here do their own service. We have lots of regional techdaze where folks will be happy to teach you. Do you think you might do your own services? Save's many $$$ and you know it's done right. The reason I ask is that the GS is easier to work on: Protection has it's price. All that tupperware has to come off whenever you work on the RT. The GS not so much. The other liability of all that protection is that it costs a fortune to fix when you damage it, and the RT is a pain to keep clean.

So to contrast the two bikes: The GS is lighter, more flickable and geared lower (but still not low enough). The RT is a problem in stop and go traffic due to it's higher gearing. The RT has a more street oriented geometry, but you get used to the GS's geometry in a day or two. The primary differences are in protection and included features. The RT is a complete package, the GS's require outfitting. In the end you will pay about the same if you equip similarly. For me cruise control is a must, and it doesn't fit with BMW's view of the GS, so they don't offer it on GS's. Fortunately aftermarket CC is available HERE - McCruise.. I just view it as part of the outfitting process.

In the end then, a properly outfitted GS is going to be lighter, more flickable, easier to work on, more "droppable", more versatile and geared lower than an RT, while an RT will offer more protection, more street features (cruise control, adjustable windshield), a more street oriented geometry, and comes as a complete package.

Now looking at other manufacturers.

The V-Strom might be worth a look. I'm considering it for an Alaska bike, and I see it as a competitor to the F 650 GS twin, maybe even to the F 800 GS. On the smaller side of what you are talking about.

Going larger, heavier and more powerful the BMW K1200/K1300 GT or the Kawa Concours, or the Honda ST (you've already tried), the Yamaha FJR and the Ducati... is it the Multistrada?... probably round out the field of "Sport Tourers". I can't comment much on them, as I have only ridden the BMW K 1300 GT out of that field.

One last thought. If the big GS appeals to you, you might also look at it's competitor at KTM, the 990.

When considering other manufacturers probably the biggest advantage for Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki is that they have extensive dealer networks, the lack of which is BMW's biggest liability. On the other hand BMW gives you a worthy warranty and towing.

Bottom line: The RT and GS are both great choices. Enjoy your new ride!

If you are looking at the used market too, you might want to consider the R1200ST. They are rare bikes, not too expensive and are basically a lighter weight, sportier version of the RT that uses the same engine, transmission and luggage. With the seat in the lower location the ST is very height friendly (although it sounds like you have long legs!) and has adjustable height handlebars as well. They were imported into the US from 2005-2008.

The R1200ST (and I assume the RT) have virtually *no* heat coming off the motor. This is by far the coolest (and coolest!) bike I have ever owned. I also came to the sport touring world from a cruiser (1700cc Yamaha Warrior) and while the Boxer twin motor is not as powerful as some of the screaming I4's, it was a nice step up in power over my 1700cc air-cooled twin.

I looked for a sport-touring bike that leaned "sport" more than touring and I am still happy to this day. I considered the FJR and the Honda ST and the BMW RT at the time. I do not regret my choice at all.

Another consideration is that the BMW's have a different front suspension geometery than the more traditional bikes listed. The telelever and paralever suspensions of the RT/ST/GS and the K-bikes (respectively) do not lose trail under front end dive. This translates into very good steering response under braking and a more predictable line when goign over bumps leaned over. Again, if you are looking to push this bike a little more than you could a cruiser-style bike, it's a big plus in my book.

Have fun shopping and I completely agree with Phil's POV -- It doesnt matter what the specs say or waht we say, motocycling is an inherently emotional connection. Choose the bike that sings to you!!

JT

Another consideration is that the BMW's have a different front suspension geometery than the more traditional bikes listed. The telelever and paralever suspensions of the RT/ST/GS and the K-bikes (respectively) do not lose trail under front end dive. This translates into very good steering response under braking and a more predictable line when goign over bumps leaned over.

That should read 'telelever and duolever suspensions of the RT/ST/GS and the K-bikes (respectively.)' The paralever refers to the rear suspension and is present on both R and K bikes.

That minor correction aside the modern BMW suspension systems represent a very desirable upgrade on sport-touring bikes that will see a wide range of loadings and road conditions (which is to say most all of them.) Perhaps not something that would override all other factors but a strong consideration nonetheless.

That should read 'telelever and duolever suspensions of the RT/ST/GS and the K-bikes (respectively.)' The paralever refers to the rear suspension and is present on both R and K bikes.

Telelever, duolever, paralever, thingamalever, whatchamalever, GAH!

I stand corrected.

JT

If you are looking at the used market too, you might want to consider the R1200ST.

There is an excellent used R1200ST for sale at Irv Seaver in Orange County, Ca. It belongs to one of the parts managers, Jim O'Brien. It is in pristine condition and has a lot of great upgrades like Ohlins suspension.

Irv Seaver BMW

vp1316356_2_large.jpg

Thanks Phil for the extensive post. I didn't mean to say the GS could not be used on the street; just that where I live right now, there's NO where to use it for its non-street purpose. Riding it the other day sparked my interest in that kind of riding, but not where I currently live. However, a move to the west coast is definitely in the future, so I'll wait til then!

As for urban traffic - good points - I was riding the RT in San Francisco and San Jose, CA traffic, and the top weight didn't seem to bother me. I've been riding long enough--and have had enough rider courses--that techniques for handling are very much a part of the way I ride. I will do a track day with the new ride when I get it though!

Regards

Joyce

Hey Trinity,

Thanks for the post. I am looking at ALL sport-tourers (K1300, Connie, FJR, Norge). I've already done the insurance check, and on that note, many of you may know that the amount of insurance on a bike is based on what the insurers consider the bike to be. Some insurers consider some of these bikes to be SPORT bikes, and others consider them to be Tourers, and their rates reflect that. Based on the rates that my insurer gave me, the K1300, R1200RT, FJR, Honda ST, and Connie, Markel must consider the FJR to be a SPORT bike and all others to be tourers, b/c the FJR's yearly rate was twice that of the others. The others were no more expensive than my big fat HD cruiser is. Moral of the story - call every insurance company until you find the co. that considers the bike you're buying to be a touring bike and not a sport bike.

Shiny Side up!

I am not sure how much insight I can provide. But, I just came from a DL1000 VStrom, upon which I had put many many two up miles. We researched a bunch of bikes in the same class as the RT. As has been said, the ST was really not up to date. The FJR was a strong runner, as was the 1400 Concours (mainly because a friend is the Kawi dealer and I knew I could get a great deal). Went with a 2007 R1200RT because of it's amazing handling, weather protection and the boxer engine character. And I got a good deal :)

Despite the fact that we loved the VStrom, it lacked good weather protection, had a dog of an engine in stock form and tended to be top heavy and awkward doing low speed stuff when loaded and 2-up. I can see why the RT is used extensively in "official" modes in Europe. Like police use and camera vehicles etc. I find that it handles sublimely in low speed stuff. I can maneuver easily in traffic and tight spots even 2-up and loaded. Fast enough for me, enough luggage space and weather protection. There are so many bikes to choose from. We found the RT to be the right bike for right now.

Good luck in your search.

I recently switched from an R1150RT and R1200RT to a K1300GT. I liked the RTs very much, but the K bike is much smoother, with incredible power. I am a smaller rider, and the GT also feels more stable at speed, less top-heavy for me, and less "work" to ride. Less protection from the elements tho, but the other factors won me over. I'm very satisfied with the GT (except for the seat - a sadistic instrument of torture.)

Joyce -

First of all, welcome to the boards... you are in the right place... )))

As for the RT... I have a 2000 R1100RT that I purchased 3 months ago as my first bike... even though most folks think I should have picked a lighter bike to start with...

My reasons for selecting the RT are as follows...

When I first started looking at bikes and maintenance, my first decision was NO CHAINS... direct drive or belt drive only...

My next decision was NO CROTCH ROCKETS... which meant that I was headed in the touring area... and once I understood the types of bike I would be looking at, I went to various dealers and locations and SAT on the seats (when they would let me) and moved on to other dealers when they wouldn't...

I found I felt more comfortable on the BMW as far as sitting... reaching for the various controls... and fairing protection for the wind on cooler days...

I did a little more research and found that the BMW tends to be fairly mechanically sound... and they have a good reputation... so... it was a matter of selecting the right bike...

After sitting on a lot of different bikes and getting a feel for them, I decided I liked the RT a little better... even though the weight was a little more than I was ready for at the time... but you can learn a lot about whether you can handle a bike in the test ride... and after I finally decided on the RT... it was a matter of finding one that didn't cost too much, because this being my first bike, I anticipated that it would spend a lot of time on the pavement while I was getting to know the ropes...

I wandered in at the exact right time... a 2000 R1100RT had just been parked out front... they didn't even have the price tag on it yet... and so I took it for a quick run and realized I could handle it with some practice, and the price was right... so it never did get a price tag added to it...

Somehow it still hasn't hit the pavement (except for the tires and kickstand and center stand) but it has provided some fun... with a lot more learning and more fun to go... It has met the grass once... Seems I went wide on a super tight left turn and dropped off the edge of the driveway onto some really soft spongy grass... and at 0 mph... realized I couldn't hold the bike up... and so eased it down... and then shut the engine off and did the bike pick-up method and got back on to figure out how I missed that turn... no marks on the bike or the lawn... so I got lucky...

Fortunately I had a riders training course earlier this year, so have a clue on what I did... and have since had a chance to take the bike out on longer rides... and found that what I thought I would enjoy about the bike has truly come to pass... so now I just need to spend MORE time on the bike and enjoy it more... and eventually add a few things here and there to the bike... (mirrors, maybe a better seat, CB, more lights, etc)...

But... now you have what I ride and WHY I chose it... though... since you have put that many miles on an RT... I can't see why you WOULDN'T love it... )))

Regards -

-Bob

I came to my RT from a FJR1300. I found the RT actually handled better. That was a shock considering the ergos are more relaxed on the RT. I never liked the airflow on my FJR either (even with several shield changes). Of course the engine in the FJR is super but I find the RT has enough.

Can't say about the K-bike. It was a choice I considered but ergos sold me on the RT. I'm still happy with it.

I loved the RT

I think you know what you want.

Perhaps I do Wade, but all the same, I can't thoroughly "know" what I want--for this much money--without investigating and riding the other rides, especially since the R1200RT was my very 1st introduction to any bike other than a cruiser. Thus far, I've eliminated--via research and test-riding--the Honda ST and the Moto Guzzi Norge. I'm trying to minimize the possibility of making a multi-thousand dollar mistake. :grin:

Shiny Side Up!

I loved the RT

I think you know what you want.

Perhaps I do Wade, but all the same, I can't thoroughly "know" what I want--for this much money--without investigating and riding the other rides, especially since the R1200RT was my very 1st introduction to any bike other than a cruiser. Thus far, I've eliminated--via research and test-riding--the Honda ST and the Moto Guzzi Norge. I'm trying to minimize the possibility of making a multi-thousand dollar mistake. :grin:

Shiny Side Up!

After my 28 machines.....take my attitude. They are like ink pens, use them and get another one!!!! :rofl:

Well, since I just got back from accompanying my wife to the AMA Womens conference, and the manufacturers in attendance with their demo trucks were happy to let me do test rides (which was about all I could do since I did not register), I can give you my impressions on a few of the bikes. I rode about 10-12 bikes total, but only 3 in what I'd consider the sport/touring category. My main ride is an 04 1150RT, but I took my Ducati ST4S on this trip. Too bad Ducati does not still make a sport/tourer as it would probably be a worthy competitor.

First, the demo rides were around Lake Dillon in the Rocky mountains. Length was about 22 miles and included a combination of mountain twisties, resort town traffic, and a short 4-5 mile stretch on the Interstate.

First my RT with 30K miles as a baseline. This has been a great bike. I really like the handling and comfort (with a custom seat) and my wife is very comfortable riding cupcake. I always liked the styling of this bike and that is what first drew me too it, along with the relative low weight for its class. I do most of my maintenance, taking the tupperware off is a 10 minute affair these days and the boxer engine is super easy to work on. It would be nice if it had more power, but it is perfectly adequate and is actually relaxing when compared to my Ducati, which requires I pay more attention to my throttle hand. The Duc's rear tire has stepped out a few times, especially when the weather is colder, but with the RT I can roll the throttle in a turn without much to be concerned about.

K1300GT - I've ridden this bike 4 times now for a total of about 100 miles, once 2 up, and I think this will be the replacement for my RT. I don't feel like I'm giving anything up in handling compared to my RT and the power is great. Plus it has all the bells and whistles that I want in my next bike, with cruise control being a biggie. The luggage with trunk is more than my RT and the Mrs finds it to be comfortable. I think I'll have to replace the driver's seat right away though. Oh, and the maintenance schedule appears to make it easier on the wallet than an RT if you are taking it in for all of its service. The first valve check is around 18K miles vs every 6k for a boxer. Did I say the power was great. :grin:

R1200GT - I never seriously looked at this bike because I never bonded with its appearance so the conference was my first ride on one (plus it was a low suspension and seat model for the ladies). This bike handles great, it felt much more nimble than my RT in the twisty parts. I'm still trying to figure out how they shed the 80-90 lbs that it claims on paper. During the test ride I did not notice a significant power difference but I was riding at about 2000 ft higher than where I live (plus I'd ridden some pretty high powered bikes over the previous days so my seat of the pants may have been mis-calibrated). If they restyled it today, I'd have to reconsider if I'd really want a GT simply because it handled so nice. Plus I've got experience working on the boxer engine.

FJR1300 - I liked this bike, I found it to be comfortable and plenty of power. I didn't notice any heat issue like in earlier years, but the windshield still goes all the way down when you turn off the ignition, unlike the BMW's. I could easily live with this bike though. At 6'3" I think the GT has a little more legroom, but I'm guessing a bit. While it is much cheaper, it does not offer (from the factory) heated grips, cruise control, ESA, traction control, xenon headlight, heated seats, or a 900+ watt alternator, so I'd probably just go with a GT. Plus my jacket says BMW and I don't think Yamaha makes as nice of gear.

Kawa 1400 Concours - I've never ridden this bike, but have sat on several. I'd rank the seating position of this the lowest based on my preferences. I've also heard from more than 1 person they get quite hot. I spent 30 minutes this past weekend speaking with an owner and he was another one to confirm they put out some heat, and he was looking forward to winter since the side fins can be adjusted to direct the heat onto the rider even more than normal. I've read that maintenance like valve adjustements, while not frequent, is supposed to be a nightmare with the big backbone frame. Owners all rave about the power and handling. As far as the other niceties, it is a lot like the FJR and doesn't offer nearly as much a the K1300GT.

Just one man's opinion, but some things to look at and ask about as your shopping.

R1200GT - I never seriously looked at this bike because I never bonded with its appearance so the conference was my first ride on one (plus it was a low suspension and seat model for the ladies). This bike handles great, it felt much more nimble than my RT in the twisty parts. I'm still trying to figure out how they shed the 80-90 lbs that it claims on paper. During the test ride I did not notice a significant power difference but I was riding at about 2000 ft higher than where I live (plus I'd ridden some pretty high powered bikes over the previous days so my seat of the pants may have been mis-calibrated). If they restyled it today, I'd have to reconsider if I'd really want a GT simply because it handled so nice. Plus I've got experience working on the boxer engine.

Thanks for posting all of your riding impressions... Not sure though whether this meant the R1200RT or the R1200GS. I have never heard of an R1200GT... Let us know! :)

JT

Oops, sorry about that. I rode the R1200RT up in Keystone. I did get to ride the 800GS there also, and the 1200GS and GSA the previous weekend when the demo truck stopped in Colorado Springs. That's another post though. Interesting thing is there was something I liked about every bike I rode, even the Buell's which I thought I would not care for. Wish I had more $$'s and space.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my RT for two seasons now and I have never loved a bike as much, until I purchased my GS. Now I have a love affair going with both bikes and don't think I could choose between the two. (Good thing I reside in Utah) A precaution I would recommend when viewing opinions, is do not listen to anyone's opinion on the RT if they have not put on at least 5,000 miles and have experienced miles in all weather conditions. Nobody can know the bike and can appreciate what it offers until they have these miles. The highlights I can speak to in short would be:

It loves cruising at 90 to 100 miles an hour for miles and miles.

It is light and very easy to handle. Try to find a bike in this class that can make a 180 tighter.

It is great in the corners, my buddies on sports bikes can not keep up with me.

The standard offerings of ABS, heated grips, heated seats, cruise control, adjustable windshield should sell you alone.

The quality and options of all the accessories can not be match by any other. When you are far from home and with inclement weather it will mean a lot. (I have felt very bad for my friends as they are wet and cold)

I hear from nay sayers all the time cost of maintenance is high. I have not seen this at all. My ST friends have spent more on their maintenance than I have. (Just silly)

The bike has history and I have heard very little negative from owners who have put many miles on. I don't think you will be disappointed with the RT.

K1300 is a very nice bike too. I have only ridden the bike 200 miles in an afternoon. Loved the power. Did not like the seating position as much as the RT. The main reason I did make the RT choice was the 1300 did have so much power, I could see myself getting into trouble. I don't have enough discipline to stay off the throttle.

Don't get me started on the GS. Now there is another great bike.

Joyce, I want to warn you about JT. HE'S very biased! BTW you can't have my R1200ST either! :grin: It's a Sporty Tourer!

I have *NO* idea what sardineone is talking about. Really.

;)

JT

I think you may be limiting yourself a bit if you are ruling out the GS or GSA because it is capable of going off road. I originally go my GS due to the ergo's and the ability to go off road. Well things change and after dropping the thing on a remote road, I reminded myself of my screwed up lower back and began to question how many times I could pick the thing up before I crippled myself for good. So, I began doing longer rides on the pavement. For the most part my GS is now a tarmac queen used for commuting and touring. I generally ride until the tank makes me stop and I usually go for 10-12 hours a day. A give screen, bags and some work on the seat is all it needs. After all day on the bike, I can still walk normal. I have transitioned to more street oriented tires and then thing handles and rides like a dream. I am still deciding on whether the crash bars stay (they are bent) replace or go with head guards. The crash bars work well for touring because they are like highway pegs. They also give you handy tie down points for tank panniers etc.

So any way, ride them all and choose the one that fits you best in my opinion. Just becaue it is a GS or GSA does not mean you have to take it off road and set up for the road, the things are more than a capable touring bike.

Joyce, after my slight hi-jack I owe you a bit on my area of bias towards the RT over K. I know a very fast pace is well in the performance envelope of the K bikes for sure. For me I just don't like to have a heavy bike. Light weight is the gift that keeps on giving IMHO. Or to put it another way, when the going gets tough, it's tougher on a heavy bike. Again my opinion. My preference to a lighter machine comes from riding many bikes & brands in my 41 years on two wheels.

Checkout the ready to ride full tank weights from BMW on the bikes below.

R1200RT - 571 lbs.

K1300GT - 635 lbs.

R1200ST - 531 lbs. (with anti-lock brakes/without bags)

Since the R1200ST is no longer available, I'd suggest a look at the R1200R as another machine worth looking at. :wave:

Archived