IGNORED

Magnesium cylinder head valve covers - 2004 R1150RT

pickersgill1

pickersgill1

Hi

Has anyone repainted the Magnesium cylinder head valve covers,do you have to use etching primer and normal aerosol silver aluminium spray paint?

One of mine has a large patch of corrosion following stone chips and riding on inter roads with road salt, is seams a bit drastic to pay out for a new head cover.

The original finish is powder coat, so the prep cpuld be problematic. Once stripped, you need an alluminium primer then a topcoat.

FWFW, Holts Silver Wheels (also sold as Halfords Silver Wheels) is a pretty good match.

Andy

I inherited scratched up valve covers and added to the damage with a couple of garage tip-overs. I was considering replacing them or having them powder coated but ...

Pulled the covers to do a valve adjust and just decided to paint them, spur of the moment. Sanded the scratches out - went to bare metal in some spots.

Painted them with a rattle-can of flat black engine paint. Simple, simple, simple. I like the look . Touch up is easy. Cost was a few bucks and an hour or so of prep and paint.

I have seen them powdercoated and they looked great afterwards. I think a good powdercoat job would cost maybe $85 all inclusive, as I've seen it.

-MKL

The matte black does look good.

I too had a bad tip-over which scratched up my left valve cover. All I did was sand it down with fine grit paper (starting at 220 and progressing to 600). I got a little bare metal showing but still elected to paint the finish coat. I just wiped the valve cover down with mineral spirits and papered and taped up what I didn't want painted and used Rustoleum 248949 Aluminum High-Temperature Engine Enamel Spray Paint. The color match is almost exact. I didn't even take off the valve cover. I was extremely pleased with the results. If it only lasts a year, I will just do it again.

Archived