IGNORED

Why dont these parts fit

LucT

02 R1150RT

I looked up part numbers for a set of cylinder guards. Sounds easy enough, enter my vin #. It's a European version, not surprising, I'm in Canada. Still the kit # is 46712316487 with both parts marked properly. Ordered on line, got them, waited a long time to install and they don't fit. Thinking I was having a mental cramp I got my buddies to try with the same result. I got confusing results looking up other parts. Not a big deal, just curious.

Anyone ?

ShovelStrokeEd

Take the cylinder guards and put them in a 120 degree oven for about an hour.

Then fit them but don't tighten ANY bolts until you have all the bolts caught finger tight.

The will fit, just need to flex things a bit and the warm up helps a lot. It is easiest to start with the single rear bolt and then work on the front ones.

Make sure your guards are meant for a single spark engine.

I have a dual spark 04 and was sold the one for the single spark.

I pulled my hair out trying to get it to fit.

The Dual Spark model has an extra plastic appendage on the bottom that protects / wraps around the bottom sparkplug.

Hope this helps.

I took the guards back to the dealer that sold them to me and they realized their mistake and gave me the dual spark model.

Everything lined up just fine and was a cinch to install.

I think it will take more than heat. I'll try it, but I think these guards will fit an R1100. Just curious if you enter a US bike sin # if the same part #'s showup.

I think it will take more than heat. I'll try it, but I think these guards will fit an R1100. Just curious if you enter a US bike sin # if the same part #'s showup.

The 1100 and the single-spark 1150 use the same guard. The design changed for the 1150. The 1100 has a flat top to the guard, the 1150 is wedge-shaped.

Andy

LucT, my book shows 46712316487 kit fits up to 12/2002..

Where/what is your fit problem? Are they close (like a hole not quite lining up) or a major mis-fit like the holes miss by inches?

They are a very tight fit the first time installed so as Ed said you might need to heat a little.. I haven’t ever had to actually heat them directly but do place them in the hot sun for a while before installation..

If the holes are close just try starting with different screw positions first then pushing it onto place while you install the last screw..

Twisty

Archived