IGNORED

2002 R1100S -- I'm in to it up to my neck

jacksonwr

We'll I decided to bite the bullet and picked up a R1100S. The ultimate goal is to have a fun toy to play with at the track. One thing I have noticed on various versions of the bike is the locations of the hand controls in relation to the upper triple clamp. Some are on top other are just below. Having the controls below is for a better racing body position but is this some thing you can move with the stock parts?

BTW, what was BMW thinking when the decided that putting the battery under fuel tank :dopeslap:

BTW, what was BMW thinking when the decided that putting the battery under fuel tank :dopeslap:

Ummm....maybe something about keeping the weight close to the center of gravity....and as low as possible...

Good luck with the "S" at the track. :grin:

MB>

ShovelStrokeEd

If your bars are already at the top, it is simple to move them to the bottom. You don't even need a center stand to do it but, having two guys do the work is easier.

Simply loosen the upper and lower clamps, slide the fork tube down and slip the bsr between the fork tube and the upper clamp, then slide the tube back up. Flush with the clamp is OK although I let mine protrude a bit.

You can go the other way in the same manner.

Be aware that in the original configuration (whatever it was) there is a tang on the bar that engages a slot in the upper clamp, You will lose this when switching. No problem as the clamping arrangement for the bars is more than strong enough to keep the bar in position.

I much preferred the lower position of the bars for even general riding. With the bars in the top position, I got too much wind blast on my upper body. With them down, it was nigh onto perfect.

If your bars are already at the top, it is simple to move them to the bottom. You don't even need a center stand to do it but, having two guys do the work is easier.

Simply loosen the upper and lower clamps, slide the fork tube down and slip the bsr between the fork tube and the upper clamp, then slide the tube back up. Flush with the clamp is OK although I let mine protrude a bit.

You can go the other way in the same manner.

Be aware that in the original configuration (whatever it was) there is a tang on the bar that engages a slot in the upper clamp, You will lose this when switching. No problem as the clamping arrangement for the bars is more than strong enough to keep the bar in position.

I much preferred the lower position of the bars for even general riding. With the bars in the top position, I got too much wind blast on my upper body. With them down, it was nigh onto perfect.

Super and thanks for the input. I just wanted to see if anyone had done it before I jumped in to try it. Odds for success are much better that way. :clap:

Archived