IGNORED

Next Generaiton RT ?

gthorpe

Does anyone know, or can speculate, on when BMW plans to come out with the next generation RT ?

Sorry if this question has already been posed recently.

Lots of speculation but nothing confirmed (even by my BMW contact)

Speculation= is possibly the HP2 motor available in the RT..

Speculation= possibly 1300 cc..

This picture is also speculation..

BMW_R1300RT_projection_stpz.jpg

Twisty

I will speculate that this generation RT is sterile - no offspring.

Seriously, I wonder sometimes the same question and then I try to imagine an improved version of this model. It has been discussed here in the past but maybe this is a good enough time to revisit this subject. My list is somewhat small:

- A not so tall 1st gear

- An even lower than 780mm seat height option (I know I can get lower aftermarket shocks)

- A bit more power and a bit less weight is always nice

- A true all day OEM saddle

- Access to air filter, throttle body vacuum ports and valve covers without removing tupperware

I heard the twin cylinder configuration was going to be changed to a vertical V-Twin and they were going to rebadge it to something like the RT-Glide...

well despite all of BMW's effort, the GS and RT remain their top sellers. So I don't think they can just do nothing . Many of those with '05-'06 modls will eventually be looking for replacements... and a good company continues to evolve their product.

I wonder if they might go to a duolever front end, ESAII as an option, give a slight bump in displacement and offer a 1250 version of the new overhead cam boxer, revised for low and midrange power.

The biek gets a small drop in weight and revised plastics and headlight.

I wonder if they would offer the new engine and a long travel duolever in the GS first.

Paul Mihalka
small correction...1150 02 - 05....I have an 05

In 2005 there were a very few R1150RT, and many R1200RT that were introduced late for the model year, in March 2005.

dealers here say no change to engine.. small cosmetic changes and better ESA for 2010..

Of course... dealers don't want to give potential buyers any reason to want to wait for the next model instead of getting something in current inventory.

The inside track is they will source the engine from Zundapp which is newer technology than the boxer...

Zundapp-1.jpg

This is the bike I rode to college in 1970. I was working part-time for an American Eagle motorcycle dealer (the photo in my sig is an American Eagle circa 1969) and won the ISDT replica in a sales contest. Of all the bikes I owned over the years, this is the one that I wish was sitting in the garage next to my RT. It was a super light weight bike that was tons of fun to ride in cross country desert races.

I think everyone has owned something that they later regreted selling, wrecking, or whatever. Some buy the same bike model years later and restore it. But it is never as good as the first time, for me anyway. I no longer try to recapture those times but I do remember them. No matter what the next generation RT looks like or performs like I will not buy it since I have the motorcycle of my life in the RT 1150. I hope that it will last the rest of my life. If it goes I don't know that I will ride anymore since age has decreased my skills and enjoyment some anyway. But I will enjoy seeing it and reading about it. I do hope that BMW decreases the niggling little and big issues that seem to afflict most models. In particular I want a bike that lasts forevery.

Dave_zoom_zoom

Ouch! Sterile?

Well, I know that was intended "tounge in cheek".

I would prefer to think of my R1200RT as an excellent machine that is hard to make a significant improvement on at this time.

Yeah, I just love my 06 R1200RT! :grin: :grin: :grin: (brakes & all)

The latest news from Europe (MCN 19/08/09) states that the 1200gs/ adventure will be getting a detuned version of the HP 2 motor giving 22bhp more. This is also likely to be the case with the r1200r, This is due to be released on the 2010 models, a quote from the article states " the detune will spread torque lower in the rev range, making the bike easier to ride at touring speeds"

Missouri Bob

Frankly, I'm satisfied with my R1200ST's power. Yes, I realize that marketing probably dictates a bigger/stronger motor.

After 3 1/2 years on the ST, I would like something more comfortable. My knees tell me that they want floorboards. An R1*00RT with floorboards could be perfect.

Bob

I would prefer to think of my R1200RT as an excellent machine that is hard to make a significant improvement on at this time.

My statement was intended to convey the same message as yours. It probably just didn't come out right.

I really enjoy this bike. If they made a quasi-indestructible version of it made of some space age materials with a million mile drive train, I wouldn't be at all be dissappointed.

dealers here say no change to engine.. small cosmetic changes and better ESA for 2010..

Of course... dealers don't want to give potential buyers any reason to want to wait for the next model instead of getting something in current inventory.

What current inventory.. no RT's to be found here now.. totally sold out..

What current inventory.. no RT's to be found here now.. totally sold out..

Depends on location, I guess. If I remember correclty, SJBMW had two or three on the floor when I was in there week before last.

I was at a rally in Galena, Illinois yesterday and the new RT was a big discussion item. Most agree that the 2010 RT will get the cheap Japanese turn signal switch gear. Now the RT's will have the ugly little plastic brake fluid jars on the handle bars. If that happens my present RT will be a keeper as I will not get a new one. Also, a few in the know indicated that the motor will remain unchanged. A version of the HP2 might work it way into the 2010 GS. All in all I am quite happy with my RT just the way it is as it is by far the best sport touring bike that I have owned. As far as inventory, Mischler's in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin has 3 RT's on the floor (08-09's).

Paul Mihalka
Perhaps it will have a chain drive for reduced maintenance and increased reliability!

My vote is for belt drive...

clip~

My vote is for belt drive...

Paul, mine sure isn’t if you ride a lot of gravel roads.. Priced that BMW belt recently? One stone on the belt edge & it’s history.. You can poke some holes in the belt center & still be OK but not the edge..

Twisty

Archived