IGNORED

Two up crash still shots

motorman587

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I thought he was gonna pull it off! It looks good into the 4th frame, but by the 5th you can tell it's not going to end well. A highside to boot. It must be when the rear hits the pavement.

Oh yeah... ATGATT!

So, should he have stayed in the ditch and tried to bring it to a stop in there? We can't tell if there is an obstacle coming, but assuming more of the same, then that's what I would have done.

However, I have to say that I don't really understand the high side.

It looked to me like the rear slid sideways when the bike was trying to climb out of the ditch. I'm guessing it caught when it hit the pavement.

So, should he have stayed in the ditch and tried to bring it to a stop in there? We can't tell if there is an obstacle coming, but assuming more of the same, then that's what I would have done.

Probably should have stayed out of the ditch to begin with.

The reason for the high side; he was crossed up/sideways and when the rear hit the pavement it grabbed, tossing them over the top. From our angle it looks like they would've been better off staying in the ditch, but who knows?

Glad they're OK and laughing about it. Motorcycles are fun!

Yep - should have brought it to a stop off the road. Problem is, if you can get it back on the road without going down, then, it "never happened"!

Couple of years ago at the BMWST Hill Country ride, a board member blew a corner at ~80+ on his GT. Stood the bike up, bailed toward a gravel driveway, ran out of driveway, headed for the ditch and a barb wire fence, missed the fence but went into the shallow ditch, front wheel is going airborn as it traverses various rocks and irregularities in the terrain, gets it slowed to maybe 10mph, and decides I can ride this right back onto the road, so it "never happened". Same exact thing, in the same exact place as these pictures happened, only I'm guessing at a somewhat slower speed.

I don't want to leave the road, but if I ever do, I'll not try and ride it back on for pride's sake.

I wonder if ASC would have prevented that accident. While slimbing out of the ditch, it would have prevented wheelspin...although not nessesarily prevented the rear from stepping out.

The transition from on-road ot off road cna be tricky, especially since there's usually a "lip" to the pavement.

I once went onto a gravel shoulder at 50+mph when a line of cars had stopped as I was trying ot catch up to a group after passing a slow car. I braked form 100mph... and got it down ot around 50mph when I decided ot ride around the stopped vehciles. The shoulder was sloped, so I struggled ot keep it out of hte ditch. I had to just hang on and let hte biek do what it wanted. It must have taken almost 200 yards or more to get down to 10mph. I had to slow to a near stop to re-enter the roadway to get over the 2" lip... since you have to approach them at a mostly perperdicular angel and the rear end can't be sliding.

Firefight911
I wonder if ASC would have prevented that accident. While slimbing out of the ditch, it would have prevented wheelspin...although not nessesarily prevented the rear from stepping out.

Only if he was on the gas at the time. Most likely, he was not gassing it so engine braking would have been the cause, in conjunction with the yaw angle. Had he had the clutch in it probably still would have happened due to the severe yaw angle but it may not have as well, or may not have been as severe. We'll never know.

I've studied the photos for some time today, & came to this conclusion.

He was on the gas just enough, with plenty of weight towards the rear, to easily get the front tire over the lip of pavement. But with so much weight to the rear, the rear tire slid along said lip before finally jumping over. Body english of both riders indicates this. Once over the lip, the rear of the bike was in front of the front and, VOILA!, instant highside. Up to that point, they both displayed excellent dirt riding skills. ;)

Good on them for ATGATT, too bad for the 12S.

There are some things that I do not share with my usual pillion wife.

This thread be one of them.

Amen brother!

+2

Yep

Improper braking, and then panicked.

Panicked first, then improper, and entirely unnecessary, braking.

They couldn't have been going very fast they didn't even slide.

Excessive speed certainly doesn't appear to be a factor (in a hauling-ass sense), nor does the up-coming curve. While we can't see it because we can't clearly see his face, I'm guessing he was distracted by the those shooting the video just long enough to lose his focus. Once his focus was back on the road, he panicked and hit the brakes instead of just completing the curve, which seems like it would have been easily accomplished.

Excessive speed certainly doesn't appear to be a factor (in a hauling-ass sense), nor does the up-coming curve. While we can't see it because we can't clearly see his face, I'm guessing he was distracted by the those shooting the video just long enough to lose his focus. Once his focus was back on the road, he panicked and hit the brakes instead of just completing the curve, which seems like it would have been easily accomplished.

Exactly.

I think that perhaps the roadway edge worked like an "edge trap" on the rear tire (it being much larger) after the front climbed up on the pavment. Flung them much like a high-side when it finally bit.

From a few pictures at Killboy, some of you think you know what color underwear the riders had on, and what this couple had for breakfast.

I'm glad they're mostly alright and hope they aren't reading this aggressive second guessing of their every action.

The first shot you see they are IN the ditch. You don't know what happened beforehand. Could have been a landscaping truck in their lane. Happened to me a few times on that road and it wasn't even busy- early morn on a weekday.

Although they got up on the pegs at first, by the 5th pic they were back down and seemed committed to riding it back up onto the roadway. I will make a guess that at that point they could have safely stopped down in the ditch. But he didn't want to waste some perfectly good momentum.....and we all know its a pita to drag one back up from a ditch...sooo...there's a fair amount of roost off the rear wheel in pics 5 & 6 from the accel attempt. He almost pulled it off. Sorry it didn't work out for them---I would have probably tried to do the same thing though. Easy to armchair qtrback on these.....

From a few pictures at Killboy, some of you think you know what color underwear the riders had on.

My guess would be brown and yellow.

From a few pictures at Killboy, some of you think you know what color underwear the riders had on.

My guess would be brown and yellow.

:clap:

Bring me my BROWN PANTS!

I think that perhaps the roadway edge worked like an "edge trap" on the rear tire (it being much larger) after the front climbed up on the pavment. Flung them much like a high-side when it finally bit.

I agree. Looks like the angle was less than 45 onto the pavement. Classic edge trap. Weight off the front tire it probably wriggled going onto the road Originaly I thought he had spun the rear tire getting up out of the ditch,but I chamged my mind. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the updated link :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Looks to me like he had it made, just needed to let off the throttle and stop spinning the rear to shoot up on the pavement, done deal.

If he had enough speed to high side, he had enough mominum to carry him onto the pavement without spinning the rear. Spinning in the dirt was fine, but go neutral (pull clutch) when meeting the transition (road, shoulder gravel, etc...).

I would have tried to hold a speed that would not put me in the ditch tho, depending on how wet, debris, holes, stumps, logs, dead animals, I don't want to go there.

Archived