IGNORED

Any RT owners in the Southwest?

eng943

Planning on moving from Chicago to the Phoenix area next year.

Just wondering if any RT owners out in the Southwest feel the excellent weather protection of the RT is a liability in the 100+ degree heat of the Southwest.

This concern has me thinking that a Trimph Tiger might be a good choice for the hotter climate.

I live in the Phoenix area and ride an RT,,,The protection on the RT is a good thing in the high heat,,,With out it,Its like riding in a blast furness,In the summer time we ride real early,6-am and head for the rim,,,PM me when you move out here and I well set up a ride with the AZ gang,,,Warning,,We are not normal,,,LOL Tim

I have the RT and a Harley Road Glide. The BMW is much cooler to ride in the summer. Windshield down a bit, and knees out keeps the air moving over your body. The RT engine heat doesn't bother you like it does on the HD.

A damp hand towel around the neck will keep you cooler, stay hydrated, and remember to keep the seat & handlebar heaters off... :grin:

I live in the Phoenix area and ride an RT,,,The protection on the RT is a good thing in the high heat,,,With out it,Its like riding in a blast furness,In the summer time we ride real early,6-am and head for the rim,,,PM me when you move out here and I well set up a ride with the AZ gang,,,Warning,,We are not normal,,,LOL Tim

That's hard for me to get my head around. It would just seem like less wind protection a'la GS for example, would allow more air to the rider and hence more effective convection of heat off the rider.

You need to come down here in the middle of summer like NOW and rent a BMW and ride in the heat. It is going to be around 110 degrees today and tomorrow. good way to find out IF you will like it.

In desert conditions, you really WANT plenty of wind protection. A blast of dry, 110 degree air is VERY irritating to the skin and eyes, and it dries you out very quickly.

hence more effective convection of heat off the rider.

Food cooks much slower in still heat.. (as do RT Pilots)

The main difference between a regular oven and a convection oven is a fan. With forced convection you can cook much faster than a conventional oven and at lower temperatures, because of the fan.

You'll still cook, there's no way to avoid that, but I prefer to slow roast myself. As such, the wind protection of my RT suits me fine here in Phoenix.

Just remember to baste often.

I live in Tempe (Pheonix area) and ride an RT.

When its 115F with full ATGATT I get a little relief by lowering the wind screen. But I still cook!

In the summer it is very nice in the high country of AZ, one hours ride north or east and its much more comfortable.

From late fall thru the spring riding in the desert areas is great on the RT.

That's hard for me to get my head around. It would just seem like less wind protection a'la GS for example, would allow more air to the rider and hence more effective convection of heat off the rider.

Maybe this will make sense. Body temp. is 98.6F. When the surrounding air temp. is lower than 98.6, air cooling can occur. When the surrounding air temp is higher than 98.6, the moving air will only make your core body temp rise, not fall, while your body slowly starts shutting down (eventual heat stroke). Moving air when its above body temp doesn't provide any cooling effect. The cooling effect of the moisture in your skin evaporating is offset by the higher temps, dehydration setting in quickly. Now, if you have an extra supply of skin moisture, such as an evaporative cooling vest, some air flow over the vest can help, even above 98.6F, as long as the water holds out.

Interesting. Thank you all for the replies, and I am eager to leave these Chicago winters far behind.

I have ridden through Arizona in August before in 100+ heat in a full Aerostitch, and surprisngly was quite comfortable.

One problem I've experienced on the RT in the summer is heat on my feet. I use Cruiserworks lace up boots, which have fairly thin leather, and my feet have gotten so painfully hot that I've had to stop and let them cool. The problem seems to occur above about 95 degrees. Not sure whether the heat comes from the cylinders or the catalytic converter.

As others have noted, the best way to ride AZ in the summer is get out early and get to the high country as quickly as you can.

At the moment, I'm sitting in Prescott (about 90 mins north of Phoenix) and the temp will be in the 80s today with 4% humidity while it's 100+ in Phoenix. Great riding weather and interesting roads in this area of Arizona.

I split my time between Prescott and Tempe. I've lived and ridden year-round in the Phoenix area for 40 years. The photo in my sig is from 1970...the bike is an American Eagle. I have used my bikes to commute to work and for touring. There are times (when it's +110 degrees) when riding is uncomfortable, but hey, when others have their bikes parked due to snow and ice, I'm out riding.

I have found that wearing a leather jacket, even when it is 110, is the best way to stay cool. The jacket keeps the sweat from evaporating too quickly and that makes it bearable (except when the traffic grinds to a halt on I-10 during rush hour).

For about 20 years I've commuted to downtown Phoenix and the traffic there is a mess. I've survived 2 crashes (rear-ended both times) on I-10 and lots of near misses. Phoenix drivers are really terrible and you will find making yourself highly visible can keep you alive.

For great rides in the area I recommend following the former Hwy 666 (now it's 123) north or Hwy 89 from Wickenburg to Prescott.

Good luck with your move!

It is cool to read everyone's take on this. Where I live now in the SoCal desert, it averages about 106 in the middle of summer, but I'm on the other side of the scale - I find myself moving around on the bike to find more air.

I will say that no matter how hot it is, the fairing is still greatly appreciated on the highway - 110 degree air at 75 mph don't feel so good. But at 35 or 40 around town - I want more of it.

Definitely get yourself quality mesh gear if you don't have any. I went with the motoport stuff, and I'd be dying without it. So many people here ride with no gear in summer, but the mesh isn't that much hotter, really, especially when you factor in the protection.

Mesh gear and cotton tshirts will save your hide out here. At 110+ degrees the RT weather protection is a bit much for me, but after I cut down the wind screen it'll be better. The RT is way nicer to ride in the heat than my Harley is due to it's keeping a good portion of the hot air off me though. If you want a sample of what it's like in the southwest during the summers, get out a high power blow dryer and set it to its hottest setting at high speed and aim it at your face and chest. Keeping that off of your body is a good thing, you don't dehydrate as fast, but a bit of air movement thru your helmet and jacket will give you some cooling as it blows thru the sweaty cloth inside. Hence the need for a shorter wind screen, at least for me since I am not tall enough to stick up far enough past the stock one to get much flow.

It hasn't been mentioned, but an evaporative vest under a mesh jacket helps on the 105+ degree days. I've used it and ridden through the summer on my 100 mile round trip commute here in the Phoenix desert.

Mel

I recently returned from a trip to Sedona Arizona (fabulous place). 110 degree weather while riding my R1100RT was not a problem. I wore a mesh/armor riding jacket with all the ventilation zippers open. I did, however, find it necessary to not use my riding pants. I risked it and just wore jeans.

JohnnyJ

It hasn't been mentioned, but an evaporative vest under a mesh jacket helps on the 105+ degree days. I've used it and ridden through the summer on my 100 mile round trip commute here in the Phoenix desert.

Mel

+1

Our trip zig-zagging the Sierras last month saw alot of 100*+ temps. We use embedded polymer vests. They last about 3 hours per soak and only take two minutes to reload.

It's almost like having your torso in an air-conditioned room and definitely makes the heat tolerable. Just don't forget to stay hydrated.

You'll be fine once you and the RT spend a little time together in the heat. When I need to cool down, I just ride faster for more air circulation.

Archived