IGNORED

Seat option for R1100RT

blue_rt

I have a used 2000 R1100RT with a 'comfort' seat, which I find too high and too wide. I can only get the balls of both feet on the road. I'm 5'10" male with 30 inch inseam. I am looking for a replacement seat that is lower (I want two flat feet on the road) and narrower.

My choices are: Standard BMW (low) front seat $400 CAD

Sargent regular seat (front and rear) $900 CAD

Sargent low seat (front and rear) $900 CAD.

I'd like to have extra room for a sheepskin cover or beaded cover.

How lower is the BMW low seat compared to the 'comfort' seat ?

30"inseam riders, what seat do you recommend ?

thanks all.

Mark.

I tried all sorts of seats when I had my 1100RT , and in the end I bought a secondhand Corbin one .

Although this meant I couldn't get my feet flat , I found it was by far the most comfortable seat of all and this transformed the riding experience for me .

Adjusting to the height issue meant more planning when stopping and parking , but I soon got that right .

Steve [ short arse ]

I had the comfort seat as well and swithced to the BMW std or low seat for the same reasons (and I'm 6'0") and it works great for my butt. But all butts are different. I got mine at Beemer Boneyard for $75.00 (US) give 'em a try. It's a lower cost gamble than going the custom route. Click Here They've got great service, will e-mail photos, etc.

I'm about your stature and had no trouble with the BMW "comfort" seat in the lowest setting on my '96 R1100RT.

Is it possible that you have the rear suspension adjusted too high?

FWIW, before purchasing the comfort seat, I used a Russell "Day Long" seat for 2-3 years and didn't like it very much at all.

Mark:

I share your dimensions.

My RT had a Corbin when I bought it, but I never liked it much. I bought a BMW Comfort Seat, expecting to use the pan for a Russell (or Meyer or something -- I don't remember now). I found that the Comfort Seat gave me MUCH longer legs thumbsup.gif

Now, I use the Comfort Seat with an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad, and I'm not looking to change it.

PM me if you're interested in my Corbin grin.gif

My '96 R11RT came with the standard seat. When the comfort seat came out, I switched. I'm 5'8", 30" inseam. I rode with the standard seat on the middle level of the three levels of seat adjustment. The comfort seat on the lowest level seems just about the same height or a tad bit higher, so you can figure that the standard seat at the lowest level will give you about one more "level" of low-ness than the comfort seat.

One other thing to consider is the general shapes of the two seats. For me, the comfort seat has more flat or level seating area, which means that I can move around more on the seat during those looong days. The standard is very "U"-shaped, which for me, meant that I was locked in to one position all the time. Just a thought.

30"inseam riders, what seat do you recommend ?

I'm going thru this right now with my 2002 R1150RT. I have the stock seat in the lowest position (and the shocks set for 1 rider). I have a 30" inseam and need to tiptoe. The comfort seat is worse because it's wider. The stock seat is 30.7" at the lowest setting and the comfort seat is worse.

The lowering options are either shorter shocks or a shorter seat. The Works Low shocks are 1" lower but take a bit off the cornering capability of the bike. So I'm searching out seats.

The Sargent "Low" seat is 1" lower than the stock seat. That would take it to 29.7" which ought to be okay. The Wunderlich (bmwsantacruz.com) is 1.5" lower then stock (stock changed to be the comfort seat in '03 I think at which point our stock seat became BMW's low seat). The Wunderlich should take it down to 29.2" which is better. Five week delivery on the Sargent. Not sure about the Wunderlich yet. The price is about the same (and about 1/2 the short shock option).

Wunderlich folks love theirs so that's what I'm getting.

Jim

If you go with a custom seat, they can make it narrower in the front to give you a little more inseam when stopped. I have a Rick Mayer seat that got to be just perfect after about 2000 miles. It's narrow in the front, so at a stop I can flat foot the bike with the seat in the middle height position. I had Rick move the back of the seat about 1" rearward, so I can either sit up straight or slide my butt back and lean forward and put some weight on my arms. It wasn't quite broken in at the start of the IBR, and I was hurting for a while, but then all of a sudden it was perfect and all the sore spots went away immediately.

Unfortunately, lowering the seat relative to the ground also means lowering the seat relative to the pegs.

My inseam is about 32.5, and I have a Corbin set on the highest setting, which prevents me from flatfooting at stops. I could lower the seat, but personally, I'd rather "tiptoe" somewhat on the balls of my feet when stopped than have a cramped acute angle on my knees while riding. The RT is a sit-up bike, and I like to have the pegs a good distance below the seat (but not forward, like a cruiser). Some seats are constructed narrower in front for flatter footing while stopped, but I never liked any I tried, so I've gotten used to the semi-tiptoe dance.

I just got my 1150RT, it had the comfort seat on it when I looked at it, and it is tall for me- 5' 8" 28/29 inseam. So I bought the low seat from dealer, it was much better, feet to the ground-wise. But less than 50 miles and my butt hurts. It tends to make me slide forward. So now I am buying a second hand Rick Mayer seat. Hope it works, I am getting to be seat poor. There is now in the classifieds a Sargent low seat for $400. It looks real low in pic. and nice looking, check it out. Sid

Rick Mayer rebuilt the saddle on my R1150RT about 15 months ago. 9000 miles later I can say I have a happy butt. Rick trimmed the saddle to fit me, cut it down since I have a 29" inseam, and then built it up to provide side support. He covered mine in leather and it looks great. smile.gif

I have both BMW seats too, a 2000 RT, and the same inseam as you. The standard seat does certainly give me better reach to the ground, but I find it uncomfortable after 50 miles or so. I like the comfort seat much better, but my reach is definitely compromised. I added seat jacks which raised the front even more, and I occasionaly use a sheepskin pad which raises me even more. Almost too high, but it works and is comfortable all day so I just got used to it.

However, being on my toes can cause problems too. I had an embarrasing situation the other day because I had parked in a spot with a slight downhill slope. The parking lot was full and somebody was waiting for my spot. Putting on my helmet, jacket and gloves already felt like an eternity while cars were backed up waiting. I saddled up, but then I couldn't duck-walk the bike back because I don't have enough reach to get leverage! Flustered, I hopped off to walk it back but in my hurry I almost dumped it getting off! Good thing I had on my full face helmet to cover my blushing... blush.gif Why do these things only happen when I have an audience?

Mike

I have a 30" inseam and the Wunderlich Low Version seat. It's O.K. in terms of ground reach and comfortable.

I recently took it apart and replaced the seating area of the stock foam with a medical grade memory foam, which was a marginal improvement. Overall, a very nice seat and a MAJOR improvement over the stock or "comfort" seats (I tried them too).

Archived