IGNORED

Riding Colorado

Spartan

I am going to be riding the RT in Colorado and was hoping for some input. The plan is to arrive in Grand Junction about Aug 27th. From there I was thinking:

141 south through Gateway and on to Ouray

550 to Durango, Mesa Verde NP, Telluride and back to Ouray

50 east past Gunnison, Monarch Pass and over to Pikes Peak

Independence Pass, Aspen and Carbondale

133 south, 149 south, Pagosa Springs

Any suggestions to the route or sites to see?

There are just two bikes going. If anyone is interested in any part of the trip just let me know.

Thanks.

141 south through Gateway and on to Ouray

Check!

550 to Durango, Mesa Verde NP, Telluride and back to Ouray
Check!

50 east past Gunnison, Monarch Pass and over to Pikes Peak

Independence Pass, Aspen and Carbondale

133 south, 149 south, Pagosa Springs

Any suggestions to the route or sites to see?

Can't comment on the other selections, but they sound good. Don't miss CO-65 from I-70 to Cedaredge and CO-92 from Hotchkiss to US-50.

Feel free to stop in for a night, we have a spare room, if it suits your plans. I'd love to come out and ride some of that with you, but probably will not be able to free up.

Lots to do in that area. Gateway auto museum on 141 is worth a stop. Do tour Mesa Verde. Durango and Silverton railroad if you are into that sort of thing. Silverton mining district if you are into that sort of thing. Orvis (clothing optional) hot springs, again, if you are into that sort of thing. Colorado National Monument is a great and scenic ride. Jeep rentals in Ouray... go on up high. Fossil hunting... if interested let me know and I'll give you some tips... Uranium mining country... CO-141 will take you through, but stop at the museums if interested.

Oh, and you could of course spend two or three months hiking the area... If you want some day hike recommendations let me know and I'll get you some.

Head east on 160 from Pagosa Springs and then north on 149 through Creede, Lake City and back to Gunnison. The ride on 149 into Lake City headed north is stunning. Go west at Gunnison to Montrose then south thru Telluride, Stoner, Cortez and on to Durango. Of course the Ouray, Silverton loop to Durango is nice also. Decisions, decisions!!

Have a great time!

If you want to see a Castle that the guy has been building by hand for 30 years,It's over near Westcliffe,,It's a sight to see,,It's called Bishop Castle,,Was just there a few weeks ago,,,and the roads are great to get there,,

4619.jpg.560968bcf4eac3f587d2443a23747c46.jpg

Hwy. 69 that runs thru Westcliffe from I-25 to US 50 is a nice road w/o much traffic. Another gem is CO. 131 from Steamboat Sprgs. down to I-70. :thumbsup:

Eric the Blue

I ride from Austin to Buena Vista, CO every year for a week of hiking. I second the suggestion to ride Hwy 69 from I-25 to US-50. It's one of my favorite roads--very little traffic, sweeping curves, and beautiful views. Last month I rode US-50 from Gunnison over Monarch Pass and into Salida. Monarch Pass is cool, but the rest of the ride is kinda dull (relatively speaking). Crossing Independence Pass on Hwy 82, between US-24 and Aspen is MUCH nicer--lots of tight turns, aspen trees, and breath-taking views (if you're not afraid of edges :-)

Have a great trip!!

superdiamond

I just took a trip through CO and the 550 route is incredible. Stop in Ouray and soak at the pool. Then head to 50 towards Gunnison. But take a day and go up HWY 92 to Hotchkiss. Then go back and continue your adventure. HWY 92 IS NOT TO BE MISSED! It is an incredible road and probably will take you 3 hours. NOT TO BE MISSED!

[quote=Twisties

Feel free to stop in for a night, we have a spare room, if it suits your plans. I'd love to come out and ride some of that with you, but probably will not be able to free up.

Thanks for the offer Jan. It would be great to see you but we will be a bit south trying to make time to Grand Junction. If time allows we may take a northern route home and possibly through your neighborhood.

I discovered a Horizons Unlimited gathering in Gunnison. I thought it might be good to meet up with some of those folks and hopefully learn a few things for my South America trip. We will stay 2 nights in Gunnison instead of just passing through. Hopefully we can get to some of the other ride recommendations posted here. Heading out on Tuesday, thanks everyone.

[quote=Twisties

Thanks for the offer Jan. It would be great to see you but we will be a bit south trying to make time to Grand Junction. If time allows we may take a northern route home and possibly through your neighborhood.

I discovered a Horizons Unlimited gathering in Gunnison. I thought it might be good to meet up with some of those folks and hopefully learn a few things for my South America trip. We will stay 2 nights in Gunnison instead of just passing through. Hopefully we can get to some of the other ride recommendations posted here. Heading out on Tuesday, thanks everyone.

HU..... hhhhmmmmm.....

Grew up in Colo and spent two weeks there last summer riding from lower Wyoming through Colorado and into northern New Mexico (Taos, Santa Fe, Los Alamos).

If you stay in Ouray you might stop by the Ourayle House Brewery which, if I remember correctly, is on 7th street just west of the main street (Hwy 550). GREAT beer, reminded me of what I drank in Germany. The beer is made on site by the "Grumpy Pants Brewing Company." The owner is rather eccentric and tends bar.

The Durango - Silverton steam train is well worth the time but will take an entire day.

If you get bored in the Durango/Ouray area you might take a side trip to Monument Valley.

If you will be on GS's you might try going over Engineers or Cinnamon Pass. Both start from Silverton and end up in Lake City which, as someone else mentioned, is worth a visit. Cool town! If on RT's, ST's, LT's, etc. don't try those passes. There are jeep roads from Ouray to Telluride but they are best travelled by light dirt bikes or jeeps which you can rent in Ouray.

If you have the time, you might travel north to the Steamboat/Rocky Mountain National Park area. Go through Walden and then into southern Wyoming. Great riding, beautiful country.

Good luck and have fun!

Archived