IGNORED

04 1150 RT Clutch

David Sharpe

After only 10k miles I need to replace the clutch on my RT. That's what the dealer says. The symptoms I've noticed are needing higher revs when taking off in 1st and sometimes difficulty downshifting.

I know not to feather the clutch, but sometimes it's unavoidable. The only other thing would be holding in the clutch while at stop signs. But I'm not a racer. I Can't figure it out. dopeslap.gif

I have the same problem with mine. It gets worse with a load or riding two up. I told the dealer that 1st gear seems too high, they say it was designed like that and a little slipping shouldn't hurt the clutch.

You didn't mention if your bike is apart yet. If it feels like the clutch is slipping it could be the rubber bushing in the two piece driveshaft has broken loose, that happened to mine too.

I just don't ride it anymore, I'm sticking with my K Bike.

eek.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

The symptoms you describe in no way indicate the need to replace the clutch. The rider, maybe, but not the clutch.

Needing more revs for takeoff might indicate you need a tuneup. You actually probably don't need any more revs, your just afraid of stalling. Do a search or get someone to lead you to Fernando Belair's writeup on use of the clutch.

Difficulty down shifting might, and I stress might, be a symptom of sticking clutch splines. Sticking on the input shaft spline, that is. Do you make any attempt to match revs during the shift? What about checking the shift linkage for slop or improper adjustment.

I'd do a bunch more research and perhaps get an opinion from another dealer before kicking in ca $1100 for a clutch replacement, unless the dealer is willing to warranty the whole deal.

David,

I'vejust bought a used '02 RT in july, and mine does the same thing. According to my service manual, mine had a new transmission, slave cylinder, and clutch 13,000 miles ago.

It has taking some getting used to the higher rev's in first gear. I had a v-30 magna for 14 yrs, and 1st gear was a lot lower. I found it easier to downshift when I keep the throttle open ever so slightly open (1200-1400 rpm). I agree, get a second opinion before taking the clutch plunge. Ride safe.

Paul

David,

Who is your dealer? If you are in Milpitas, I would guess either Cal BMW or San Jose BMW, both of which have good reputations. The clutch is a wear item, and not normally covered by warranty, but 10K miles is much too soon unless you habitually do wheelies and burnouts and all of those miles have been at the dragstrip. I thought not.

The tall first gear is annoying, and requires a bit more slippage than I like to get going, but it shouldn't lead to a clutch demise so soon. Could you be more specific on the other symptoms, and keep us posted on what happens. Has a mechanic at the shop shop actually taken the bike out for a test, or is he basing his diagnosis on your description over the phone? Could be just a bleed and adjustment - warranty work.

peter '04 R1150RA, '73 R75/5

peter

Thanks Ed for the advice. I did locate Fernando's write up and I have been shifting out of first incorrectly. I'm going to practice this weekend.

I will be reading the BMW manuals hardbound Clymers and BMW CD to see about any adjustments that might be possible and checking the shift mechanism for any binding.

Second opinion, I'm scheduling an appointment with another dealer as soon as I'm done typing.

Cheers,

I did take the bike in to San Jose BMW and the Service Manager rode my bike but was unable to reproduce the problem. I will schedule an appointment with Cal today or Monday and see what they think.

The issue I'm worried about is the difficulty downshifting. There isn't any gear grinding gear noise the tranny just doesn't want to downshift unless I press harder than normal.

Fernando's post

Clutch

Stuff like this is easy to find. I clicked on the lnk above that says "user list" and then browsed through Fernando's old posts. It took all of 1 minute (with broadband smirk.gif) The search function will reveal more of the same. I encourage all to familiarize themselves with these funtions. It will astound you how much can be found. It will save you and others time, as well as reducing board clutter. Just like practicing with our bikes.

Please note: My comments are meant to encourage not criticize.

Oh, and if I hadn't said it before.. Welcome to the board John thumbsup.gif

Archived