IGNORED

Helmet strap clips

Gbutwhy

I understand there are seat belt type clips you can modify your helmet straps D rings to. It looks like it would be so m much easier to adjust once and be able to just clip and unclip so much easier, even wearing gloves.. Does any one have any experiences, recomendations, good and bads to suggest. Are they secure?

Thanks

gbutwhy

I've used the Echo clip for 2 years and have a few observations. It tends to get loose where your helmet strap feeds through the metal part of the clip so I must snug it up every time I put on the helmet. Once it's adjusted, it stays OK. Once in a while the clip can be inserted askew and is difficult to unclip. At least I can tell easily when it doesn't clip right, it should make a distinct "click" sound. My last problem is caused by my Hein Gericke jacket, which has a magnetic collar snap. The Echo clip, having a metal part will often stick to my jacket collar snap. It's possible that the helmet D rings would do the same if I didn't have the clip, annoying but I can live with it. Overall, I like having and using the clip much more than having to use D rings. It's the best thing you can do to a helmet for around $10. thumbsup.gif

Here you go. Echo helmet buckles can be purchase at Cycle Gadgets.

I tried them and didn't like like them. They functioned fine, as far as opening and closing them goes, but they seemed to be much less secure than using the D-rings--the amount of metal securing the buckle seems pretty scant. This is, admittedly, a very subjective and unscientific assessment, but I just didn't feel confident that the buckle would hold if I ever found myself bouncing down the road.

Slight highjack. Are modern(and expensive) helmets nowdays sold with a D-ring only here in US or also elsewhere?

When I was still living in Finland (8 years ago) the Shoei RF700 (RIP) I bought over there came with a quick-clip. Same with every other helmet I ever had until I bought my first helmet here in US. Only D-rings from that on.

--

Mikko

Have clip called Fast Hook - got when new helmet was purchased - couldn't find them through a search, said Made in USA??? Purchased at Americade, have been very happy with them, no problems encountered.

Archived