IGNORED

Delivery day!!

dshogman

Woke up at 4 AM going through everything that was going to happen today when I picked up my new R1200RT, red, of course. What a day! Spent almost 3 hours with Craig Hansen (Hansen's Motorcycles, Medford, OR) going over every single feature of the bike. It was almost overwhelming, And when I did get on the low-seat bike, with my big biker boots, I could just put the balls of both feet on the ground. Close enough for now. He got me lifting the bike onto the center stand several times. And he made me do some stop and go in the yard to get the feel of the clutch/throttle relationship. Then I was off for a little tour around WalMart's parking lot, turning, stoping, starting, circles (large at this time). On the road for a little cross country 50 mile tour, not enough time today for more.

Initial impressions:

1. Clutch/throttle relationship will take some getting used to.

2. Noises are quite different than the Harley - yeah, I know, probably couldn't hear any motor noises because of the pipes.

3. Brakes really work!!

4. I need the handlebar risers and the peg lowerers (both on order).

5. Bike is absolutely beautiful (in my humble opinion) and the color is awesome. Yes, I know, everyone has their own preferences.

There were some others that I thought of at the time but they've slipped my mind now. What a day!

Thanks to all the very knowledgeable folks on the forum. I've been reading just about everything since I placed the order a month ago and found the forum.

Congrats, I've got a test ride scheduled tomorrow AM. Currently have a Harley Dyna T-Sport FXDX-T, I'll be interested in the back to back comparison.

Congrats! Red is the right color. I am very excited for you and wish you the best on it. I'm sure if I rode an HD, I would be wondering where the servo noise is? Have a great time.

Congratulations!!!!

I am sorry you got stuck with the red bike as the dark grey over black is much cooler grin.gif

I too came fronm the HD world... I now have 6500 on my 1200 RT... What a wonderful machine indeed. Yes the brakes work. Be careful when you get back opn your softail. I almost hit several things as I was expecting the bike to stop..

I traded my big boot for a pair of alpinstars. They are like waterproof slippers and really work for this type of bike. Try not to change anything for a while. I had the same thoughts you do, but now, I am happy with it as is. What changes I will do will come very slowly. We (old Harley riders) are / were so used to getting a bike and right away changing things, adding stuff. With the BMW I just ride...

Welcome to a whole new world thumbsup.gif

i'm truly psyched for you as your excitement is evident...even if it's red eek.gif. if cylinder guards not already on do so asap.

i'm impressed with the time your dealer took to walk you thru it. my experience while good, was nothing like that with my 04. especially the centerstand practice. took me a week and one drop to master it. tear it up!!!

David:

Congratulations, your post reminded me as a flashback to my own delivery day, yes it is unforgetable!

Just wait till you start to discover the huge differences with your former HD.

Boy, when you start carving the pavement on the twisties you are going to yell like crazy inside your helmet.

Happy Touring

MoroCycler clap.gif

• 3 months later...

Congratulations! I too took delivery of a new RT this week. I still have the Harley V-Rod in the garage but momma says it has to go. I loved the Harley but the RT is light years ahead in handling, safety, and comfort. Like them both but the RT is a clear winner.

Dennis

congrats.

i too have an rt and a harley. you can spend just as much on extras on a beemer as a harley. the difference is usually that the beemer extras deal with function more than style. my recent hd is an 06 wideglide and the first buys were the sundowner seat, a windscreen, lug rack and case. about the same things i bought for the beemer.

a tip: you can often find many of the upgrades you want here in the classifieds or in BMWMOA Owner News or RA classifieds. generally the price is good and the people are honest and if you don't like it, someone else is usually waiting to give it a try for about what you paid. just be careful about seats. most of the custom seats are built for a specific person and you may or may not like them, but there always seems to be a market for used custom seats. i agree with the gent who said try it stock for a while, but eventually, most folks just have to fiddle, it's part of the fun. Here's what I've done to mine in just under 2 years:

cbailey's seat and windscreen, barbacks, motolights, works suspension, givi top box, sheepskin, carbon fiber dash surround (major farkle), ztech exhaust, throttle rocker.

some of those came from my prior beemer.

As you can see, there is plenty to choose from and while adding that new goody won't quite equal delivery day, it sure can be fun when you take that first ride.

Enjoy

Tom Collins

04 R1150RT

my recent hd is an 06 wideglide and the first buys were the sundowner seat, a windscreen, lug rack and case.
Tom,

Sure glad to see another Dyna owner here. I've had two Dynas - an '04 FXDX and an '06 FXDCI. I ended up trading in my '06 for the RT but I'll always have a thing for Harleys. Truth be told, I see a Road Glide in my (not too distant) future.

the dynas are probably the best functioning harleys from a pure motorcycle perspective. mine is shockingly good in turns, something i never expected. they also get the new technology first.

05 Dyna W-G here as well. I have to say that the Harley has only seen 200 miles of riding and the R1200RT has seen 4000 miles. I am considering selling the H-D to my good friend who loves the white color. The H-D is a great bike but when I go into the garage to go for a ride I find myself getting on the BMW, ALWAYS. When I am on the Harley I want to get off after an hour. It is a fun hour but after that I am done. I have the Vance and Hines pipes so it is real loud. Everyone has that one bike that just does everything right for them, for me it is the RT. Looks like it will be a short lived ownership for the Harley. I think I am going to sell the Harley and buy a used 1998-2001 R1200C for a cruiser. Beats having a $20,000 harley sitting in the garage collecting dust.

How much are you going to bill the dealership for your work? ;)

That's awesome, congrats.

I didn't get to take mine out of the crate but it was at the front of the dealership floor when I walked in. My wife had never seen a RT before we laid eyes on the one I ended up buying. It's the first new bike I've ever bought and only the second new vehicle I've ever bought period. Before I was always 'a how 'bout that used one 'round back?' kind of guy. Still that's got to be a kick being there at the uncrating!

Have some photos of the unpacking. It was fun helping the technician take it out of the box. What a Christmas!
Did you feel like a new daddy in the delivery room - telling the dealer's tech to "push push push"? wink.gif

Classy looking RT - those clear signal lens are a great match for that color! (Who am I kidding? Clear lenses are a great match for any color.) Congrats on the new ride! thumbsup.gif

Congratulations! Your post brought back fond memories of my own delivery day of what sounds like the same bike, including color. That red is mighty purrty. Make sure you get the engine guards (improves the odds of minimal damage when you drop it the fist time). I have almost 7K on mine now, with no regrets whatsoever. If it were suddenly gone tomorrow morning, I'd buy the same bike again.

Jay

Did you feel like a new daddy in the delivery room - telling the dealer's tech to "push push push"? wink.gif

Yep! Sure did. I told the salesman that it was like giving birth. My wife can't understand how we can have feelings for mechanical things? confused.gif

Archived