IGNORED

Yellowstone and Beartooth Construction

Twisties

Construction on the Beartooth is proceeding rapidly. Several miles now unpaved up top. Conditions are fine though, well graded and packed, ready for asphalt. Pace car. Delays, but still a fine ride. Approaches are not under construction. Conditions may change rapidly. Snow two nights ago, freezing for sure each night. Afternoon thunderstorms, of course.

Yellowstone is the big story. We came up from the Tetons into Grant on the way to the UN. This is the area on the NP construction list that is presented as no big deal, "short term projects". Felt conditions in this section were unsafe for motorcycles and planned to go back via Mammoth and West Yellowstone. Unfortunately the road was closed from Madison to Norris and we had to go around through Grant. A two hour pleasure ride turned into a 5 hour slog through heavy traffic. Strongly suggest checking NP website and current conditions. Because of the closures traffic on the east side of the park is the heaviest we have seen it. "bear jams", which were actually for bison and elk today were exacerbated by the heavy traffic, and resulted in long periods of stop and go. 5 areas of construction presently listed in the park, but this closure is a big deal.

If you want to do the Beartooth I'd suggest taking the Chief Joseph to Cody unless you are planning to exit Yellowstone at Mammoth.

Construction on the Beartooth is proceeding rapidly. Several miles now unpaved up top. Conditions are fine though, well graded and packed, ready for asphalt. Pace car. Delays, but still a fine ride. Approaches are not under construction. Conditions may change rapidly. Snow two nights ago, freezing for sure each night. Afternoon thunderstorms, of course.

Yellowstone is the big story. We came up from the Tetons into Grant on the way to the UN. This is the area on the NP construction list that is presented as no big deal, "short term projects". Felt conditions in this section were unsafe for motorcycles and planned to go back via Mammoth and West Yellowstone. Unfortunately the road was closed from Madison to Norris and we had to go around through Grant. A two hour pleasure ride turned into a 5 hour slog through heavy traffic. Strongly suggest checking NP website and current conditions. Because of the closures traffic on the east side of the park is the heaviest we have seen it. "bear jams", which were actually for bison and elk today were exacerbated by the heavy traffic, and resulted in long periods of stop and go. 5 areas of construction presently listed in the park, but this closure is a big deal.

If you want to do the Beartooth I'd suggest taking the Chief Joseph to Cody unless you are planning to exit Yellowstone at Mammoth.

we're coming up through there to Silver Gate, MT middle of September coming from Oregon wonder what would be the best route.

George Brown

Jan it was nice to meet you at the UN.

Just made reservations last evening for one week, Sept 6-13 in Jackson Hole - before seeing your post. We are trailering the BMW out to Rapid City, SD to attend the CCR the week before then spending Friday and Saturday night with our nephew and wife in Wheatland, WY. Our plan is to tour both Yellowstone and Grand Tetons by MC the week we are in Jackson.

My thoughts were to ride up through the South Gate to Old Faithful and Lake Yellowstone. At this point in time, I'm not sure what else in the park we might want to see.

Would like to do Beartooth Pass again - I went over it in 2001 on the RT coming back from the MOA in Redmond. It's probably too long of a trip from Jackson and back for Judy so we will probably pass this time.

Any suggestions for things to see and/or roads to ride would be great. TIA

I cannot understand why the Park Service did not give you the little yellow notice form and inform you of the closure. We were in and out several times since Friday and each time they told us of the closure on Monday.

As I understood it, the closure was for one day, as they blasted out a troublesome section of the road.

Too bad about the longer than planned route... that is a bummer.

The section from the south entrance toward Madison Junction was really nasty in a car and must have been horrible on the bike. Any entrance/exit from the south will encounter this.

It's changing fast, so I would check with the park service. If the construction between the south entrance and Grant is done then you could go through the park that way. If that is still under construction you could try talking to some local motorcyclists in the area and see what they say.

The closure at Madison to Norris is for the rest of the season, so traffic on the east loop will likely stay relatively high, but I would guess that would be down significantly by mid-September.

Alternatives would be to make your way to Cody, one way or another, and take the Chief Joseph in, or to come in via Bozeman and Mammoth (beautiful ride from Swan Valley along the west side of the Tetons to W. Yellowstone, then up 191 to Bozeman). I guess you could also come in via Billings and Red Lodge.

We all made it through the south gate. Sharon, Mike and I thought it was downright dangerous for 1-1.5" mud from the water trucks, some minor ruts and loose surface, pace car too slow (8 mph) resulting clutch work and unstable speed, and piles of loose dirt where a dump truck had apparently leaked at random. Jamie and Les came through later and they had no mud. Conditions vary. 30 miles of it when we came through. I would check, they might be done by your dates, or maybe partly done. If not, well I can only say you'll probably make it, but I wouldn't try it again. They simply don't understand motorcycles there. Talk to motorcyclists in Jackson or at the south entrance station.

If you go through the south gate I recommend the West Thumb Geyser Basin. One of my favorite places in the park.

To get to the Beartooth without going through the park I would go via Cody (from Moran) and the Chief Joseph for a one day trip. I think that might be reasonable. Perhaps stay in Red Lodge if you do it on your way out (last day), so you don't have to do a there and back. Actually, maybe stay in Cody, and then ride in the morning to avoid thunderstorms.

If you decide to avoid the south entrance you can try http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Jackson,+WY&daddr=43.460894,-111.340942+to:N+3600e%2FE+800+N%2FID-32+to:bozeman,+mt&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFZrnngIdVphe-Q%3B&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=8&via=1,2&sll=44.453389,-110.445557&sspn=2.811347,4.938354&ie=UTF8&ll=44.633482,-110.522461&spn=2.802667,4.938354&z=8 for something else to do.

I cannot understand why the Park Service did not give you the little yellow notice form and inform you of the closure. We were in and out several times since Friday and each time they told us of the closure on Monday.

They did, that's how we knew we had to go through Grant.

Just got back form Red Lodge about an hour ago. The construction Beartooth was a bit slippery for me because the water truck just wet everything down and the pilot car was too slow as mentioned. From Cooke City to the park it was all construction. Norris to Madison closed. At the south entrance there was almost endless construction into the Jackson area. It was COLD! I saw 70 one time and 40s in the AM. I was not ready for that cold this early. I told one gentleman that the next time I go up there it will not be in the dead of winter. The flagger at Cooke was asked how long does winter last? He said he did not know because he had only lived there for 13 months.

Chief Joseph was the highlight. Overall it was great but if I knew about the construction I would have made different plans.

George Brown

Thanks Jan :)

Our plans are to head south from Jackson into northern Colorado then start back east. Want to visit some fiends in KC!

Just got back form Red Lodge at 9:00 last night. The construction Beartooth was a bit slippery for me because the water truck just wet everything down and the pilot car was too slow as mentioned. From Cooke City to the park it was all construction. The road I needed, Norris to Madison, was closed. At the south entrance there was almost endless construction into the Jackson area. IMHO the NP wants their $20 so talking about construction is a no no. It was COLD! I saw 70 one time and 40s in the morning. I was not ready for this cold this early. I told one gentleman that the next time I go up there it will not be in the dead of winter. The flagger at Cooke was asked how long does winter last? He said he did not know because he had only lived there for 13 months.

Chief Joseph was the highlight. Overall it was great but if I knew about the construction I would have made different plans

Archived