IGNORED

Mounting a StreetPilot 2610

Gregori

In mounting a 2610 on a motorcycle there appear to be a few options.

I have a RAM mount system, and am leaning towards using the RAM cradle with my existing base and arm, and using the direct power/audio wire, but it does not look like the cradle locks the cable into place.

For only a few dollars more than the direct power cable, Garmin offers a mounting kit that includes their own cradle (also compatible with the RAM system.)

So the question I have is this - what seems to be be the better cradle?

I was seriously disappointed in the Garmin brand cradle for the GPS-12 and didn't even consider it when I mounted my GPS-V, opting in both cases to use the RAM system. (The RAM cradles secured the GPS units extremely well, but didn't hold the power cable worth a darn - which was not a significant issue, since both units also had internal batteries.) The 2610 is completely dependent on the line-in power, and won't operate at all if the cable vibrates loose.

Any input from folks who have one or the other (or both!) is much appreciated.

G.

Take a look at touratech too...

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/index.lasso

Very solid design...

And there is also gadget guy (www.gadgetguy.net)

I'm using a combo...

2610 + GG bracket IV & Baseplate II + Garmin mount (bought from amazon.com).

But I may move the Garmin down to a Touratech 040-640 just to reduce the vibration that the GG seems to have.

Also, installing the GG bracket IV requires removing some tupperware.

Eric

I really like the Touratec mount for the 2610. This isn't the best picture, but it's mounted to the bars with a U clamp base on top of a ram mount and then a ram ball on the bottom of the mount. Hard wired with a relay - works great. I zip tied the cable in a few strategic places. Also, the Touratec mount (one of 'em) has a slot for the connection on the cable when you don't have the GPS in the cradle (to prevent it from shorting out against the tank). Very nice.

2610.jpg

cool.gif

nice pic!

nope, doesn't mart it up at all. there's a well in the bottom of the mount where you put the circular base and the top of the mount has plastic liners that prevent scratches. it's very nice.

smile.gif

G, I have the following configuration on my 2004 1150 RT:

BMR Co-Pilot Assembly (see http://www.bmrproducts.com/)

BMR Co-Pilot Cross Bar Bracket

Touratech Locking Mount (part 065-0066)

This gets the GPS up off the tank and puts it more in a line of easy sight without obstructing your view of the road. The BMR shelf actually provides a great shade for the OEM instrument cluster and greatly reduces glare during the day and reflected light at night. I just completed a 3000+ mile trip and found this configuration to be very comfortable and effective. The Touratech gives exceptional security for the 2610 and reduces vibration to almost nil. The only downside (minor) is that the Touratech mount is a bit high in the back and may scratch the windscreen in the lowest position (mine is a Cee Bailey 4+2). To save the windscreen, I simply attached a medium-sized rubber stop (clear) to the wind screen at the contact point.

Bill in Vermont

I tried it on a shelf, but the vibrations was too much. So, I have been happy with the Ram mounts, using the fitting that goes on the clutch reservoir. This is for a 2610 on a 2004 R1150RT. Bill in Vermont

I tried it on a shelf, but the vibrations was too much. So, I have been happy with the Ram mounts, using the fitting that goes on the clutch reservoir. This is for a 2610 on a 2004 R1150RT. Bill in Vermont
I concure, based on the GG bracket IV, which mounts to the upper part of the dash/fairing. There is a fair amount of vibaration (not terrible, but still there) and movement (from bumps / rough roads), hence I may move it down to a touratech adapter on the yoke.

Maybe the vibration with the yoke mount will be the same, but I do like to position up high... It just there is too much movement in the fairing...

BMR recognized the vibration factor in their original shelf design and modified it such that there are supports that extend down the height of the dash and eliminate nearly all of the vibration. To dampen the vibration even more I added rubber backed washers to all of the attachment points.

GPS-02.jpg

GPS-01.jpg

I like the locking mount from Cycle Gadgets. It locks the unit on, holds it secure, covers and secures the cable when the unit is in place and comes with a place to attach the cable when the unit is off the bike.

Nice for $35 which included the power cable with speaker adapter.

Jim cool.gif

Nice mount! That one bolts directly to the GS crossbar.

I don't worry about the GPS moving when I move the handlebars. If I am moving them, I am looking at the road! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

I don't worry about the GPS moving when I move the handlebars. If I am moving them, I am looking at the road! grin.gif
Ha ha...

I just meant less less moving around... but I'm sure you knew that... wink.gif

Archived