IGNORED

Rear breaks - Encore!

Gerard

Sorry if this subject was already discussed... I just purchased a 2000 RT1100 and just today realize the the "rear" brake does almosts NOTHING. I am so conditionned to use both breaks in the same time that I only noticed it this morning. This is my 1st BMW after many years of Triumphs and I am not used to ABS brakes either. What should I check? (Obviously, I am not the mechanical type!)

Tell us a little more about how the back pedal feels. Does it 'bottom out', go all the way down as if there was no brake pressure at all? Does it fell like it is working (applying pressure) but the rear brake is not engaging? Does the rear brake feel like it is engaging, but just not enough to stop the bike soon enough? If you REALLY stand on the pedal (carefully here) can you get any rear braking action at all?

It is exactly that.. The pedal goes all the way down, almost no resistance at all and NO brakes function...In have really pressed on the pedal (did not stand on it tough!)

What is the brake fluid level in the rear reservoir? It sounds at first 'glance' like a bad rear master cylinder, but first thing is to find out if there is fluid in the system and if not, where it went. Any signs of leaked brake fluid around the master cylinder (follow the pedal to the rear of it and upward) or around the rear caliper at the rear wheel?

I think you will find that its just the way the abs works when the rear brake is used on its own.

I have a r1150rtp, the rear is not linked to the front with the foot leaver and it seems next to useless.

I even thought something was wrong so I jumped on a mates rtp and it was the same.Feels the same on dirt,but it will lock it at really low speed.

regards Jacko

Archived