IGNORED

Tool to change alternator belt// Report on Shocks

Ben Peeples

I will be doing the 36k service early next month and will order parts soon. BMW uses a special tool to change the alternator belt. Is there a "work around" that does not require the tool? I might hire the job out if the alternative is to buy a special tool.

FYI, I had a look at the belt while changing shocks this past weekend. It looks new!

The new Ohlins (form hardracing, $300 discount, no affiliation) make a hugh difference in the ride. A deal at twice the price. I wish that I had done it much sooner. Ben.

Ben the tool is used to spin the belt onto the pulleys since there is no tension adjustment. It catches the belt and goes on the crank then you rotate the crank using the tool and a wrench and the belt is fed onto the crank pulley. You can probably have it on the alternator pulley and feed it onto the crank pulley by rotating the pulley. I would try using a rag or some type of rubber material to cover the edge of the pulley so the belt isn't cut during the installation. Or you could hire it out. I do this on cars quite often and as long as it's not an old dried out belt is not a problem. I used to have a tool for doing this that was a v that the belt fit into and another piece that went on the crank and rotated with the crank as it was turned. Was really more trouble than it was worth.

David,

Is the tool you are describing the same one that was used with the RT 1150? I have one that I never used that is a nut looking thing with a spring on it to hold tension.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't think so as it has no spring. The 12GS (and I assume 12RT) has no adjustment for the alternator belt. The tool fits onto the crank pulley and you set the belt in the alternator pulley then on the outside of the tool and crank the tool with a socket and it turns the belt onto the crank pulley. It's more of a guide that allows you to crank the belt on without damaging it. I don't have one but my dealer SM was showing me theirs shortly after the 12GS came out.

PS. in my previous post I said it was more trouble than it was worth I was referring to the tool not replacing belts wink.gif

Archived