IGNORED

Cleaning bugs...Hydrogen peroxide?

Harry_Wilshusen

Harry_Wilshusen

A buddy of mine just recommended using hydrogen peroxide to clean bugs off windshields and body work. He says he just sprays some on and the bugs just foam up and wipe right off. He just started using it on his Wing so no data on long term effects.

Any one here use it? Any reason not to?

Thanks

Harry

Plain water does the same for me. Doesn't foam but the bugs dissolve very quickly. Hydrogen peroxide is just water with an extra oxygen molecule. H2O2 vs H2O. It does have oxidizing properties but with the way plain water works, why bother. Your windshield will be sterile, however, in case you want to eat off of it.

Peroxide will probably work, but why bother? As just pointed out, water works just fine, and for the really stubborn ones, soap and water.

Wet the cloth with plain old HOT H20, lay it on the area of concern for 5-10 minutes, wipe off. Spend the perioxide money on FUEL. Go ride.

I usually use a lens cleaner from Costco or some plexus in a really small bottle for my visor. I did use the peroxide and it worked except when it rained the rain beaded up on my visor instead of blowing off. My guess is that lens cleaner or plexus leaves a film that water slides off. I use warm water and a towel on my windshield, then plexus to help keep it clean.

I can't imagine peroxide would be strong enough to damage the finish on a bike... Nor can I imagine what the point would be, either. It just sounds expensive. What is that stuff, $1 a pint?

Wet the cloth with plain old HOT H20, lay it on the area of concern for 5-10 minutes, wipe off. Spend the perioxide money on FUEL. Go ride.

Yep. I have a couple old pool towels that I thoroughly soak and lay across the front while I'm gathering other things. Since it only gets washed annually, sometimes the gathering takes a while, so those buggers come right off by the time I get to them.

...Since it only gets washed annually, sometimes the gathering takes a while, so those buggers come right off by the time I get to them.
Sheesh, I know it's not just me that does light cleaning after (and sometimes before) every ride. Doing so reduces the task to primary panels and wheels, not requiring full "hose action". I travel with Meguiars in a small tube and my own towels, plus motel waste basket filled with hot water from the bath tub. You guys know that a clean bike runs better, right??? ;)

Jeff

Bingo! Also, although the fork tubes are fairly protected on an RT, pay attention to them, as dried chitin can be murder on fork seals. The last time I did a really long trip, I packed a scrubber sponge to scrape bugs off the fork tubes at the end of each day's ride.

Fightingpiper

Here is the best I have used and comes from the Cal-sci windshield site.

"We make our own cleaning fluid. When you buy a windshield from us, we give you a small spray bottle of cleaning fluid and a micro-fiber cleaning towel. Here's our "secret" washing fluid recipe, the result of testing about 25 different formulas:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid 1/2 cup = 100ml ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)

2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol

1.5 tsp = 8ml car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent)

2 cups = 500ml water

We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield."

If I'm just cleaning the fairing after a ride and it's bug season, I'll lay a big wet beach towel over the front for ten minutes.

If I'm actually washing the bike, I use diluted truck wash in a pump pressure garden spray bottle (about 12 litres) for a pre wash spray and then wash the bike about an hour later. It comes up like new.

I use CT18 Truck Wash and have done for three BMW's and a bunch of sporty exotica since my mechanic brother-in-law put me on to it over 20 years ago.

Cheers,

Linz :)

Yes, I have.

Sometimes the love bugs are so plentiful that there isn't a way to avoid being covered w/hundreds or thouosands of them.

When they go smoosh, there is a very negative interaction between the bug gut and paint finish.

The bugs can become very dried and adhesvie very quickly.

The Hydrogen Peroxide cuts through the proteins (I think that is what is the culprit) and facilitates the removal of the bugs.

I've not seen any harm to the motorcycle paint as a result of this.

It will do a better job on these situations, based on our side by side testing, than just water, but YMMV.

I only use it at certain times/situations.

Best wishes.

At certain times of the year, we get molested by love bugs down here. Thick enough to cover the entire front end of your car.

Old Trick from auto detailer:

Fabric softener towelettes. The kind you throw in the dryer.

Just moisten and wipe over the area. Let it sit for a minute or two then rinse and dry. Been using it on painted surfaces and bike windshield for years.

Harry_Wilshusen

Sometimes it's not convenient to use water and/or the time to use water. this was fast and easy. He got the idea from a FL friend of his that has to deal with those lovely Love Bugs.

Harry

Archived