IGNORED

Road rage reminder

Quinn

I don't understand the article's explaination. The motorcyclist:

1) makes obsene hand gestures

2) pulls in front of the motorhome

3) then hits the brakes

4) motorhome rear ends the biker, dragging him 75 feet.

Did the motorcyclist hit the brakes out of "road rage" or was he trying to avoid hitting something? If done out of road rage, then the biker was not the brightest rider on the road that day. What would a motorcyclist think would happen if rear ended by virtually any vehicle, let alone a motorhome? Other than this scenario, I don't understand what defines this encounter as a road rage incident.

I also don't understand much about this report. Yes, there was some obscene gestures, but was it that the motorhome driver rammed him, or the biker hit the brakes taunting the driver?

Dragged him 25 feet before he became lose... Did the motorhome keep on driving beyond that?

Sad any way.

It's a pretty bare-bones report, but folks who are enraged don't always act in their own best interests.

I have a friend who's a local firefighter, who once told me a story about a similar incident that he responded to on one of our local Interstate highways. A woman in a compact car was apparently pissed off at an 18-wheeler that she was stuck behind for a period of time. When there was a break in the traffic, she sped around the tractor-trailer and slammed on her brakes. Predictably, the trucker found that he was not able to stop his loaded 18-wheeler as quickly as the nimble little Honda. It took my buddy and his firefighter pals over an hour to extract the woman's body from her pancaked car. I guess she showed him . . .

I don't understand the article's explaination. The motorcyclist:

1) makes obsene hand gestures

2) pulls in front of the motorhome

3) then hits the brakes

4) motorhome rear ends the biker, dragging him 75 feet.

Did the motorcyclist hit the brakes out of "road rage" or was he trying to avoid hitting something? If done out of road rage, then the biker was not the brightest rider on the road that day. What would a motorcyclist think would happen if rear ended by virtually any vehicle, let alone a motorhome? Other than this scenario, I don't understand what defines this encounter as a road rage incident.

I heard the story on radio news yesterday. According to the report witnesses saw the exchange as described. Guy on the bike was said to have "deliberately and aggressively" applied brakes. I think we may have a new Darwin award winner.

Much missing in this story but I have little sympathy for biker who flips off a motor home driver, cuts in front of the MH and then hits the brakes. Not the right place to be when you just pissed off another driver.

"officer, I tried to stop but the motorcyclist stopped much faster than my motorhome".

Yeah, I'm guessing the MoHo was being a left lane bandit at 55, and the "biker" got mad and intended, by slowing, to force the MoHo to move to the right lane. That thought has crossed my mind from time to time, but I've never followed through on it. And in this case, bike vs MoHo is bringing a pocket knife to a gun fight.

A little patience is called for out there, y'know?

Yeah, I'm guessing the MoHo was being a left lane bandit at 55, and the "biker" got mad and intended, by slowing, to force the MoHo to move to the right lane. That thought has crossed my mind from time to time, but I've never followed through on it. And in this case, bike vs MoHo is bringing a pocket knife to a gun fight.

A little patience is called for out there, y'know?

Bill, this is my take on it also. The biker simply forgot he wasn't in his Pick'em'up truck or SUV and it wasn't a Prius behind him. He was tooconcentrated on his teaching role as road judge.

Problem I have with this is that is another motorcycle fatality to show how dangerous motorcycling can be.. The insurance companies use it to raise rates.. The local communities use it to make stricter anti-motorcycle laws.. I wonder if he even had a cycle endorsement?

I’m really surprised they didn’t somehow get the; he WAS or WASN’T wearing a helmet into the news story (they usually do).. Usually something about helmet use but seldom anything about being stupid..

I guess the good news is- someone has to die to keep the accident statistics correct so better him than me or you.. Sounds callous but I hate to see good safety conscious riders lumped into the same group as the stupid or drunk riders..

Twisty

Well, this is a trajic story, made all the more so because it was so unnecessary.

I think motorcyclists would do well to take a minute to ponder the fear mongering promoted by the non-riding public. They do have a point: motorcycling is dangerous. Some of our best riders have gone down, and some of that bunch never lived to tell us about the deadly encounter.

Motorcycling is a dangerous lifestyle. This is not the platform for having ones ego stroked, for showing off, for proving one's manhood, or for teaching others a lesson in driving. It is a rather risky form of transportation that requires the operator to have a realistic assessment of the potential dangers, and to prepare and ride accordingly. Unfortunately, the rider in this thread either never learned this, or in a moment of passion, forgot something that a cooler head would have kept in mind.

The joy and thrill of operating a 2 wheeled vehicle on public roads in and of itself ought to be enough for us. When we begin to take this great privilege for granted, thats when bad things can happen to otherwise good people. :cry:

Hard to say what all went wrong on that one...

I was always taught that when you come across a bad driver, just get the hell away from them. Doesn't matter if they're inattentive, belligerent, aggressive, enraged, or whatever.... Just put some distance between you and them, because even if they don't hit you, they're liable to cause another accident that you don't want to be anywhere near.

When I first saw the headline I assumed the motor home driver was at fault. But the reports do seem to indicate the rider asked for a Darwin award (aren't those only handed out to survivors of their own stupidity?). I just can't imagine hitting the brakes after getting in front. I can certainly imagine the hand waving and yelling. Been there, stupidly did that.

Definitely a reminder that no amount of gear will protect you from all possible road events!

He was 57 years old, so he probably reproduced. That rules out natural selection.

We all get mad at other motorists. Just remember that cars, trucks, and RVs have the "Right of Weight."

This is a classic case of rage taking over. Channel it instead. The place to express that rage is at the next stop. I let people know that I am unhappy. The more they risked taking my life, the more I let them know. In one case where an ass passed between me and an SUV in my lane on a two lane road more than 50 mph faster than the speed limit (100+) I followed for more than 50 miles observing many tailgaiting, reckless passing, etc. etc. to the next town. The only reason I could keep him in sight was traffic that blocked his mad dash and miraculously did not block mine (I was doing 95+!) as we neared the next town I finally thought that maybe he was going to a hospital with an emergency. WRONG, he was going to breakfast! I made sure he did not enjoy his breakfast. Maybe, just maybe, that may save someones life down the road?

Not that I am anywhere near mastering this concept, but I challenge myself to mentally prepare for all the @ssholes I will encounter on the roads. Before I set out, I remind myself that there are all types of motorists out there, and many of them will likely put my life at risk just to make the next light, or to get to the video store (a woman nearly ran me over in LA. Enraged, I followed her to give her a piece of my mind. She pulled into the Blockbuster Video parking lot!).

Yes, there are drivers out there who are going to put my life at risk just to shave a couple of seconds off their commute. So maybe I can prepare myself for this eventuality in a way that when it comes, I can respond in a calm and controlled manner -- because it will happen, that's for sure. To me, the worse thing I can do on a motorcycle is to lose my head in anger. In fact, I constantly challenge myself to ride in an emotionally neutral manner. Allowing my emotions to get out of control betrays my ability to stay aware of my surroundings and in control of my motorcycle. This thread exists because a motorcyclist apparently lost his head in anger while riding his motorcycle.

... WRONG, he was going to breakfast! I made sure he did not enjoy his breakfast. Maybe, just maybe, that may save someones life down the road?

I would feel very uncomfortable doing something like this in SoCal... Many people who have so little respect for the law and their fellow humans also tend towards rage themselves, provoking assault, battery and homocide.

As someone who has twice had guns pulled on me on the road, I think very carefully about how far I want to show my displeasure with idiot drivers. My wife and kids only have one Daddy.

JT

We all get mad at other motorists. Just remember that cars, trucks, and RVs have the "Right of Weight."
A similar adage ... Tonnage Rulz!
.... I constantly challenge myself to ride in an emotionally neutral manner. Allowing my emotions to get out of control betrays my ability to stay aware of my surroundings and in control of my motorcycle. This thread exists because a motorcyclist apparently lost his head in anger while riding his motorcycle.

Me too! My first year back into riding was my worst. I continuously got torqued when the a$$hats did something that scared or startled me. But I find the more I ride the less they scare me, but for two reasons. First, like most others here, I strive to remain calm (but still struggle with the underlying irritation). Lastly, I'm less surprised because I'm getting used to their shenanigans and am learning to predict (to a point) the likely culprits. This will be a long study, of that I have no doubt.

{/quote] This will be a long study, of that I have no doubt.

That is the GOAL, a nice long study from 2 wheels of other drivers stupidity. Sending good thoughts to all that we are able to achieve this lofty goal.

I always remind myself that anger reduces me to their level. Since I ride a BMW, I am superior :grin: . Might as well use it for my advantage!

Rod

ShovelStrokeEd

I've gotten to the point that I just laugh to myself at the assortment of stupid antics pulled by cage steerers. I won't go so far as to call them drivers. My current favorite peeve is folks who look in their mirrors, see me closing on them within their intended lane and then pull back, only to pull over into the lane a few seconds later. I will still pass them, maybe on the right, maybe by changing lanes to the left if that option is open to me. I have given up even flipping them off.

My goal, when riding now, is to move my way smoothly through traffic (I run about 5-10 mph faster) without ever having to touch my brakes or make a sudden lane change. Requires a lot of concentration and scanning and planning. Keeps me both amused and on my toes.

Clip~

My goal, when riding now, is to move my way smoothly through traffic (I run about 5-10 mph faster) without ever having to touch my brakes or make a sudden lane change. Requires a lot of concentration and scanning and planning. Keeps me both amused and on my toes.

Ed, that is pretty well the way I get through traffic.. Once you get the hang of it & get a flow going (always in a fluid motion sort of) it works pretty darn good doesn’t it?

Like you I pay little attention to what the cage drivers are doing (they usually don’t understand motorcycle dynamics anyhow) & simply ride around the person or problem.. In my area here a rider really has to assume most other drivers around them are armed,, some legal & some outlaw,, not all are armed but an awful lot of drivers are.. A car driver has a big advantage here as they can see what’s in your hands but you can’t always see what’s in theirs..

A LEO friend of mine estimates it could be as many as 50% armed in this area..

Twisty

My current favorite peeve is folks who look in their mirrors, see me closing on them within their intended lane and then pull back, only to pull over into the lane a few seconds later.

My current pet peeve is truck drivers that watch me approach in the left lane going 10/15mph faster than them, and they wait until I am almost to their rear tailgate before pealing over into the left lane. A few even wait until I am actually next to their rear wheels. Hard to maintain composure when the evidence points to malevolent intent. But as someone said, they have the "Right of weight", and some of them like to throw it around.

Just record the truck number and call the how is my driving number, or the companies safety coordinator.

I know a trucking company safety coordinator. There is no longer a driver shortage. They have no tolerance. They will get rid of the driver. Sometimes, fear of lawsuit is a good thing.

Related story:

I had a truck driver run me off the road, he was passing over a double yellow while going uphill. Turned around, got the truck number and 800 number, called, gave the truck number and story. Driver was making a delivery to my place of work so it was easy. The next week, our delivery route driver was different. The other driver got the axe, that night.

Rod

• 4 weeks later...

I know this a one-month old thread, but here is the full story:

Motorcycle road rage

This is one of the rare cases where the motorcyclist was at fault. Living near this location, I can tell you that the 101 is annoying, because of the idiot RV's driving in the left lane. I hate passing on the right, because it's more difficult to gauge the driver's intents and more blind spots, but it does anger me. But I realize that there's no honor in dying on my bike trying to prove a point to a vehicle several times heavier.

Thanks for the link, I didn't get to see the motorcycle involved in the original post. Not wanting to stereotype and disrespect dead people but what kind of person rides a $40,000 Big Dog "buy a chopper" and intentionally causes an accident?

The owner profile of that motorcycle screams "in your face", I'm showboating", "I'm loud and DILLIGAF", "I ride this because I want people to think I am badass", "I have a poor self-image and the motorcycle medicates my self-image".

When you come right down to it, this motorcycle is an inanimate extension of the middle finger. If you don't believe me, look at the air cleaner.

Not surprising this collision occurred.

Moral: Attitude and the motorcycle

Here is a link to DILLIGAF for those who don't recognize the acronym. Commonly worn by the 1 percenters.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dilligaf

and

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=one%20percenter

OK, I'm going to admit when I first read the story here, I thought to myself, "no self respecting BMW rider would get hit from behind." I immediately thought it was a poser who did the stupid act, but didn't plan ahead to immediately accelerate after "making a point." I've made points to idiot drivers before. One of my favorites, laying on the horn for a significant period of time next to a soccer mom on the mobile while driving a SUV in the adjoining lane. And I have one of those 747 level horns on my RT. But I am always in control of my bike, and I make sure I'm in the proper gear to make a fast getaway in case the cager is a sociopath.

I have one of those 747 level horns on my RT. But I am always in control of my bike, and I make sure I'm in the proper gear to make a fast getaway in case the cager is a sociopath.

Very well thought out plan.

I have one of those 747 level horns on my RT. But I am always in control of my bike, and I make sure I'm in the proper gear to make a fast getaway in case the cager is a sociopath.

Very well thought out plan.

The better plan probably is to ignore people. It's just so frustrating being on a bike when people cut me off, thinking I'm not there. Or SUV's with mobile talking soccer moms wander into my lane. Or the other day when I was on I5 outside of LA, and I was driving in the right half of the outside lane, which I usually do, in the vain hope of making cars on the right think I'm taking up my lane. Then some idiot decided to pass me on my left using the shoulder of the road as the passing lane. I was stuck between traffic on my right and this idiot passing me on the left (and I was going about 80, so it's not like I was clogging traffic.) And no, it wasn't a LEO. Scared the crap out of me.

I wish I had a James Bond R1200RT that fires lasers. I would have been very happy.

Archived