IGNORED

276c power cord: anyone else broken theirs?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Yesterday I pulled the power cord from the back of my Garmin 276c, and the connector ripped apart. One piece with several metal sockets was left in the hole in the back of the GPS unit, and the rest of the plug (with a couple more metal sockets) stayed with the cord.

Oops. Fortunately that was the cigarette lighter adapter that I use with my car. Now I've greased the power cord that's permanently wired to my bike; it connects/releases more easily now, and I hope that keeps it from breaking.

So has anyone else broken theirs? Anyone else taken to greasing the connector for easy connection/removal?

I've found the cord to be difficult to remove from the unit. I usually take the GPS off at night and bring it in to the motel room, which is why I'm frequently disconnecting the power cord. If it does break, I guess I'll have to break down and get the 376c...

Joe Frickin' Friday
What are you using to grease them?

Just some white lithium grease, nothing special. Even chapstick would probably work. Not trying to forestall wear, just make it slippery, so anything that's going to be less messy (than e.g. black grease or Honda Moly60) is better.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The connector has a sharp 90deg bend, it's important to pull it straight out.

Mine are all OK, knock on wood.

I do pull straight out - mostly. it's such a tight fit that I end up wiggling it a bit to "walk" it out. was this my undoing?

it's such a tight fit that I end up wiggling it a bit to "walk" it out. was this my undoing?

I'm not sure, let's setup some tests. Can you X-ray plastic looking for the start of stress cracks?

I wiggle too. Honestly I'm not 100% what caused the failure.

Archived