IGNORED

speaker size on r1200rt?

scottcon

I bought my RT without the audio prep kit or the stereo system. I was looking and there are alot of marine audio systems available that might work on this bike. I was wondering if anybody knows the size of the speakers and if they are standard (mounting) etc. The speaker grills look like they will fit a 4" speaker but I'm not sure. BMW prices for speakers are 250.00 each! Marine speakers are less than 100.00 a pair. If anybody has measured the speakers your info would be much appreciated. Thanks

I was thinking the same way, the price for the BMW speakers is laughable. $277 here.

The trouble is, there is no mounting frame under the grill. The standard speakers have three mounting bolts that attach to points on the frame. Making your own mounting would be quite difficult.

Here is a pic of the standard speaker:

5542.png

As you can see, there is a tweeter built in. But the price is still making me choke.

My dealer said that BMW will eventually make a radio kit for those of us that didn't get one on our bikes and the price will be much more reasonable. I hope that they offer a separate radio prep kit as well. For all of the problems and talk regarding the radio portion, I think that you can get a much better marine radio with wired remote that would work better especially with auxilliary devices and AM radio reception. Lets keep our fingers crossed on this one.

Archived