IGNORED

Wheel bearing noise

Oregon_r1100rs

Oregon_r1100rs

Howdy.

I have a 94 RS with 56K on it. I have started to hear a whine/rumble when I lean over to the right. I do not hear it when upright or leaned left.I think it might be a wheel bearing going out.

Does anyone have any experience with similar noises/situation?

I haven't looked the maintenance manuals yet, but how difficult is replacement of the front wheel bearings?

Are specialized tools (remover and installer press) needed?

Any info on brands of bearings to use/ or avoid?

Thanks for your help.

94 RS Tital Silver

Metzler Z-6's

Ohlins F&R

Steel Brake lines

EBC pads

Remus Full Ti system.

City lids.

How do the tyres look? My RT sounded like it had major bearing whine when leaned over. It started out only on right handers, then progressd to the left. It turned out to be a cupped rear tyre - it was an Avon Azaro ST.

To check the bearings support the bike with the rear wheel clear of the ground, grasp the wheel top and bottom and try to rock it against the axle. If you feel no play the bearings are good.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

New tires fixed my "wheel bearing" noise. The tires didn't look cupped but something in the wear pattern set up howling noise in turns. Mine were Michelin Road Pilots. I tested for play as described and couldn't find any which suggested it might be the tires. You might also try pulling in the clutch to disengage the drive going round the corner. If it's bearings, they'll aught to be quiet or at least quieter if not under load. If the noise doesn't change, stong possiblity it's the tires.

Pilot Roads begin to howl at 58 mph when they are new. Bearing noise is more of a low sounding rumble. grin.gif

You just can't sound technical when describing a noise. tongue.gif

I agree with the other posts. Fitted a set of Pilot Road tyres and now I have my own orchestra. Try ziz zaging tongue.gif as you ride along a straight section of road and listen as the noise changes frequency and pitch.

Fixing a tyre problem is easier and more fun than replacing wheel bearings - rev it up and smoke them clap.gif

Pilot Roads begin to howl at 58 mph when they are new. Bearing noise is more of a low sounding rumble.

Dear bride and I have near identical R1100R bikes, both with Pilots. The ones on mine are nearly new, dear bride's are nearly at the end of usable wear. My tires make very little noise at any speed, her's make enough noise to be painful on the ears when cornering. My bike is on the second set of Pilots, the first set was on when I bought the bike used. As they wore, I thought I was getting a drive train problem - I suspected the final drive gear based on the loud noise I was hearing when cornering. It sounded like the gears were worn and being put under undue strain when leaned. I based that assumption on a mental comparison to similar noises from gear drives in other things that did fail. I was very surprised to discover that the tires were the root cause, wouldn't have believed that a fairly normal looking tire could be that loud though I was relieved I only had to replace the tires to "fix" my imagined drive train problem. While I like the feel and usable life span of the Pilots, I think I'm going to try something different for the next set. I'd still be inclined to look seariously at the tires first if you're hearing anything you think might be a drive train problem.

Archived