IGNORED

2, 3 or 4 fingers

Chris Bell

I'm taking a little survey on some BMW sites about riding technique. How many of you use 2 fingers, versus 3 or 4, on the clutch and brake levers? I realize there is a lot of variation, depending on the type of riding and the particular bike. Give me your thoughts.

C. Bell

'07 RT

I have the servo brakes.

I usually put 3 fingers on the Brake, but I only use one. If it were to fail. or I ride other bikes, the muscle memory is there to use more fingers to clamp down. I also use 3 ont the clutch, usually pull with 2 of them when shifting since complete stroke not necessary, the 3ed finger kicks in when I am at a stop. Again, if I ride another bike, especially with a cable clutch, I have the appropriate muscle memory. My brakes are linked form the hand lever, but I still use th foot brake, same reason, I may ride another bike.

Rod

Firefight911

2 fingers, unless I'm at a light for a bit. Then it is neutral and none (cars already stacked behind) or 4 on the clutch while stationary and checking the rear for incoming boogies.

Clutch optional on many upshifts so then it would be none.

4 on the clutch and usually 3 on the brake. I'm going to have to start practicing 4 and 4 since I'm taking the ERC again next month though. I should probably start stepping on the rear brake now and then too just to satisfy them. :grin:

Nobody has said which two on the brake. I've been riding so long that I no longer thing about it, but this morning I noticed that my middle and ring fingers cover the brake lever. Index and thumb to control the throttle, while the little finger is too short to be of much use.

If you didn't have four on everything the CHP motor school instructors would yell at you. You also needed to keep four covered on the clutch at all times.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Four on clutch. It has to come back farther for full disengagement - especially at stops - so I don't want any fingers left on the bar to smash.

Three on the brake (index finger remains wrapped around grip). Good braking effort immediately available, but also good throttle control. Brake lever reach is set so that even when it's pulled hard enough to engage the ABS, the lever doesn't come back far enough to mash my index finger.

I always ride with 4 fingers covering brake and clutch, with thumb wrapped under the bar. This goes for cruising as well as during braking. I find I get enough throttle control and do not get 'throttle fatigue' as my hands just rest flat on the top of the bars. This also negates the odd bar angle on these bikes.

When using the brake I squeeze with the first two fingers, the other two being in place to pile on pressure should I get a servo fail.

For the clutch, when stopped the four fingers hold the lever against the bar. For chages, I just fan the lever in and out with the first two fingers on that side.

Andy

Four on clutch. It has to come back farther for full disengagement - especially at stops - so I don't want any fingers left on the bar to smash.

Three on the brake (index finger remains wrapped around grip). Good braking effort immediately available, but also good throttle control. Brake lever reach is set so that even when it's pulled hard enough to engage the ABS, the lever doesn't come back far enough to mash my index finger.

I've heard that is the best technique to allow good throttle control, but I rode bicycle off-road too long and got used to braking with my index finger.

Anyone remember from the on-board shots what racers like Hayden or Rossi are doing?

From lane-splitting with a heavy v-twin with weak brakes, I learned good throttle control with no fingers on the throttle (needed all four to brake well), so I am permantently stuck on 4 and 4.

Wow. I feel down-right conservative!

JT

4 on the clutch, 2 (index and middle fingers) on the brake, but I only use the middle finger for braking unless I need to stop right now.

Bill_Walker
If you didn't have four on everything the CHP motor school instructors would yell at you. You also needed to keep four covered on the clutch at all times.

And when I rode a Harley, I, too, used 4 fingers on the brake lever. And I needed to, because the brake required a lot of effort. With my current bikes, two fingers (index and middle) is plenty and leaves me with a better grip on the bars. I do use 4 on the clutch, though. The two for the brake are nearly always ON the brake lever, ready for action. I do use a throttle rocker to prevent cramps, though.

Bill_Walker
Anyone remember from the on-board shots what racers like Hayden or Rossi are doing?

1 or 2 fingers. Keith Code and Freddy Spencer both teach two fingers on the brake.

grasslander

1 or 2 fingers. Keith Code and Freddy Spencer both teach two fingers on the brake.

Which two? I use #2 & #3

Generally 4 nowadays. Used to be 2 but we took a slow manuvering course from a CHP motorcop who told us dont cover the brake and since you wont be covering use all 4.

for me its always 4 on the clutch and 3 on the brake. I keep my index finger wrapped around the grip for throttle control.

My only issue is when I put on my Aerostich 3 finger "Spock" style rain covers. Then I get myself all screwed up :P

I always ride with 4 fingers covering brake and clutch, with thumb wrapped under the bar. This goes for cruising as well as during braking. I find I get enough throttle control and do not get 'throttle fatigue' as my hands just rest flat on the top of the bars. This also negates the odd bar angle on these bikes.

When using the brake I squeeze with the first two fingers, the other two being in place to pile on pressure should I get a servo fail.

For the clutch, when stopped the four fingers hold the lever against the bar. For chages, I just fan the lever in and out with the first two fingers on that side.

Andy

+1 -- *Precisely* what I do. Learned it back in the early '80s as an MSF instructor, and nearly 30 years later it feels strange to ride any other way.

In addition to never having to worry about trapped fingers, the #1 benefit to me is the the decrease in reaction time when emergency braking -- no time required to have to unwrap fingers from the throttle, extend them out over the lever, and begin to draw the lever toward the bar. I can think of at least 2 times (maybe 3) in the last three decades where the difference in reaction time was *exactly* the difference between getting stopped and just a couple more feet into a collision.

And before any one pops up with "you're following to close" -- (i) I maintain sufficient following distance for the conditions -- rarely, if ever, are any of problem situations I encounter dues to close following, and (ii) in the close-quarters combat/cage fighting that is D.C. commuter traffic, the level of stupid displayed by the clueless cage pilots can overcome even the best defensive driving practices.

I could see that to mitigate servo failure, but that's a BMW-specific habit to develop. On any other bike with good brakes, I can loft the rear wheel with one finger on the lever. The reason to concentrate on the first and second fingers is because you have finer motor control over them.

4 and 4.

But I did test ride an RT with servo brakes, and I could see why dropping down to less than 4 on the brakes would be beneficial.

Bill_Walker
Generally 4 nowadays. Used to be 2 but we took a slow manuvering course from a CHP motorcop who told us dont cover the brake and since you wont be covering use all 4.

Wow. I can't imagine not covering the front brake. I'm pretty sure it has saved my bacon more than once.

Bill_Walker

Which two? I use #2 & #3

I don't recall specifically from the trainers, but I use my first two fingers, so I'm guessing that's what they told me to do. Or else it's just what works for me. I find it too awkward to not use my index finger, plus I feel like I have better control with it. I could probably train myself otherwise.

ShovelStrokeEd

4 on the clutch, 2 maybe 3 on the brakes. My ring finger seems to have a mind of its own and creeps out there. I don't cover the brakes much on my typical long freeway rides but, funny thing, every time I have needed them (deer, errant motorist) my hand has automatically repositioned itself. On the rare occasions I find myself in twisties, I'm always covering the front brakes.

I have a quick question. For you folks who are using less then 4 on the brake for throttle control purposes, are you blipping, downshifting, and braking at the same time? ( David and Russell, I kow you guys are. I'm wondering if everybody else is doing it too.)

BTW, Rossi uses three on the brake. I just read an article about that in RRW.

Yes, I'm blipping, downshifting, and braking at the same time.

Generally, I only use 1 finger on the brake; my "bird" finger. I used to use 2 (the index & bird fingers.) I saw an on-board w/ Corser years ago, and he was only using the bird finger, so I tried it, and liked it.

On previous bikes head shake was more of an issue, so I found it better to have more fingers on the bars.

As a side note; while watching the on boards, I've seen Rossi use 4 fingers on the brake. While it's always nice to be able to emulate our heroes, in the end what makes fast riders fast, is perception more than technique. It's mostly skill through a mind set.

Yes, I'm blipping, downshifting, and braking at the same time.

Generally, I only use 1 finger on the brake; my "bird" finger.

Same here. It's pretty easy to do smoothly with a little practice. When doing a track day I normally throw my first downshift before I brake, but in day to day street riding I often find myself on the brakes before my first downshifty thing...but it really depends on the particular circumstances.

3-4 on the clutch. 2-3 on the brake. My pinkies just kind of hang there.

I admit that I've never thought about it before reading this thread. I had to close my eyes and think about it.

Archived