IGNORED

Roadside Attractions!

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Kind of late in the game to be posting this, but hopefully someone else will find these enjoyable.

I've visited www.roadsideamerica.com, where they catalog all manner of interesting, bizarre, and pathetic roadside attractions. I pulled up POI's for NY, NH, and VT, and boiled it down to a generous list of places I just might be able to visit.

So here's the list, and here is a link to a Garmin *.GDB file of the waypoints (a zip file, actually). Each waypoint name starts out with RA##, where ## is the number of the attraction on the list here. Many of these will be out of reach for some folks or others, but a few of them are on or near listed day rides for the Unrally, including the motorcyclist shrine in Colebrook!

So print out this list, load the waypoints into your GPS, and go take some pics of you and your bike in front of these places! If you're not sure whether something looks interesting or not, you can check out the entry at Roadside America and see if the pictures (if any are available) make it look more (or less) appealing.

See you in a few days! :thumbsup:

===================

1. Nipper the RCA Dog:

Address: 7 Tivoli St., Albany, NY

Directions: Arnoff Moving and Storage Co. North side of the city, near the river, in the warehouse district. I-787 exits 4A or 4B west to Broadway, then right (north) about ten blocks. Turn left onto Tivoli St.

Phone: 518-371-5555

2. Car on a Smokestack:

Address: 5 Ann St, Amsterdam, NY

Directions: Dudka's Garage. North side of Rte 5 less than a mile west of town, opposite the Guy Park Manor historic site.

Hours: Daylight hours. (Call to verify)

Phone: 518-842-2301

3. Steve Heller's Auto Art Studio:

Address: Route 28, Boiceville, NY

Directions: Heller's Fabulous Furniture. Take Rt. 28 from Kingston, NY (exit 19 on the Thruway), west almost to Boiceville, where Onteora High School is located. His store is about a mile east of Boiceville. In the Catskills, not far from Woodstock, NY.

Hours: W-Su 10 am - 5 pm. (Call to verify)

Phone: 845-657-6317

4. Large Victorian Head:

Address: 459 Forest Ave., Buffalo, NY

Directions: On the corner of Forest and Richmond, across the street from the Buffalo Psychiatric Center.

5. Stone Quarry Art Park:

Address: 3883 Stone Quarry Road, Cazenovia, NY

Directions: From the west: As you reach the eastern outskirts of town on Route 20 East, you will pass a McDonald's on your left and the Cazenovia Motel on your right, which is your cue to begin looking for a blue tourism/highway sign on your right announcing "Stone Quarry Art Park." You'll turn right onto Stone Quarry Road, pass the tiny Old Quarry Pond on the right, and the Art Park will be your first right-hand drive, .7 mile total. Look for the Park's small brown-and-gold sign at the entrance.

Admission: Donation

Phone: 315-655-3196

6. The Tepee:

Address: 7632 US Hwy 20, Cherry Valley, NY

Directions: US Route 20, west of Sharon

Phone: 607-264-3987

7. Cardiff Giant:

Address: 100 Lake St., Cooperstown, NY

Directions: At the Farmer's Museum, a mile north of town on Hwy 80 (Lake Rd.)

Hours: Daily 10-5 summer, T-Sa 10-4 off-season; closed Nov-Dec. (Call to verify)

Phone: 607-547-1400

8. 9/11 Memorial:

Address: Dewitt, NY

Directions: US 290 East, right onto Butternut road, site is on left in front of Dewitt municipal center.

9. Metal T-Rex:

Address: Duanesburg Road, Duanesburg, NY

Directions: Route 7, a mile east of Route 20.

Hours: Daylight.

10. Pete Toth Carved Indian head:

Address: Dunkirk, NY

Directions: Lakeshore Drive West (Route 5).

11. Griffis Sculpture Park:

Address: 6902 Mill Valley Rd, East Otto, NY

Directions: I-86 exit 21 or I-90 exit 55, and then north or south on US 219 to Ashford Hollow. Turn west onto Aherns Rd, drive around 2.5 miles, turn left onto Rt 75/Mill Valley Rd and drive 1.5 miles. Entrance on left.

Hours: May 1 - Oct 31, dawn to dusk. (Call to verify)

Phone: 716-257-9344

12. Elephant Rock in Adirondacks:

Address: Route 8, Hague, NY

Directions: About 3.5 miles west of Hague, NY on Route 8.

13. Furniture of the Hoosick Giants:

Address: 5045 State Route 7, Hoosick, NY

Directions: Outside Countryside Woodcraft‎ on the north side of Hwy 7, just east of town.

Phone: 518-686-0934

14. Le Roy, New York - Human-Size Statue of Liberty

In the center of town there is an almost human size, i.e. 6' tall, version of the Statue of Liberty. We visited the Jell-O Museum near by and the museum workers told us of this. It's pretty cool and the park it is in is quite pretty. The Boy Scouts dedicated this statue back in 1955.

15. Tree Through House:

Address: 800 Route 30, Mayfield, NY

Directions: Southwest of Northville on Hwy 30, just south of the intersection of County Road 123.

Hours: Daylight

16. World's Smallest Church:

Address: Sconondoa Rd., Oneida, NY

Directions: I-90 exit 33. West on Rte 365. Turn right on Sconondoa Rd., at the "Town of Vernon" sign. The church is in the middle of a pond to the right of a fork in the road.

17. World's Largest Pancake Griddle:

Address: 163 Main Street, Penn Yan, NY

Directions: The Birkett Mills.

Phone: 315-536-3311

18. Natural Stone Bridge and Caves Park (incl. wooden giant):

Address: 535 Stone Bridge Road, Pottersville, NY

Directions: NW of Pottersville, Adirondack Northway I-87, Exit 26, head west on Stone Bridge Road.

Admission: Admission good for entire season.

Hours: Labor Day-Columbus Day 10am-6pm, Late May-Labor Day 9am-7pm. (Call to verify)

Phone: 518-494-2283

19. "Dolly Dimples" Waitress Statue:

Address: Main Rd., Silver Creek, NY

Directions: Valvo's Candies. Phone: 716-934-2535

20. Painted Pig Rock:

Address: Indian Lake Rd, Speculator, NY

Directions: On Indian Lake Rd/Rt 30 around six miles north of Hwy 8, or 18 miles south of Hwy 28. Just north of Deerfeet Lodge Rd.

21. Waiting for the "A" train:

Address: Syracuse, NY

Directions: Along route 690 West near downtown syracuse right before Townsend St. off ramp on the right.

22. Green on Top Traffic Light:

Address: Tompkins St., Syracuse, NY

Directions: The West end of Syracuse, NY. Corner of Tompkins Street and Milton Avenue.

Admission: Free.

23. Handmade Russian Orthodox Church:

Address: 5131 Lee Rd, Turin, NY

Directions: Off of Route 12 on the corner of Lee Rd and Milk House Rd.

24. Wolcott, New York - Venus Rising Sculpture

This statue of "Venus Arising From the Sea," along with her two cupids is in the middle of what used to be Wolcott's only stoplight. I believe it is close to 100 years old [there since 1913].

25. The Whispering Statue:

Address: Main Street, Barre, VT

Directions: Downtown, in the small city park, at the corner of Hwy 14/Main St. and US 302/Washington St.

26. Sea Serpent in the Water:

Address: Putney Road, Brattleboro, VT

Directions: Visible from the bridge over the West River, a mile north of downtown Brattleboro on US 5/Putney Rd.

27. Phineas Gage - Man With a Metal Rod in His Head:

Address: VT 131, Cavendish, VT

Directions: I-91 exit 8. West on Hwy 131 13 miles to Cavendish. The memorial plaques are bolted to a big rock in an empty lot at the corner of Hwy 131 and S. Pleasant St. Cavendish only has a couple of streets, so it's hard to miss.

28. Winged Monkeys:

Address: Burlington, VT

Directions: Main Street Landing, One Main Street.

29. Burlington, Vermont - Bizarre Memorial Park

The Antonio and Rita Pomerleau Foundation's Neighborhood Park in Burlington is one of the weirdest parks I have ever seen. A dozen towers covered with crouching double-faced lion people on the edge of a shopping plaza. [Philip Deslippe, 06/12/2004]

Bizarre Memorial Park:

Address: Burlington, VT

Directions: On Route 7, a few blocks south of Flynn Avenue.

30. World's Tallest File Cabinet:

Address: Flynn Ave., Burlington, VT

Directions: Southwest edge of town. Drive US 7/Shelburne Rd/Ethan Allen Hwy five blocks north of the turnoff for I-189. Turn left (west) onto Flynn Ave. After five blocks the file cabinet is in a field on the right, between Pine Street and Foster Street.

31. Whale Tails:

Address: South Burlington, VT

Directions: North side of I-89, roughly midway between exit 12 (Hwy 2A/St Georges Rd) and exit 13 (I-189).

32. Hammer Weather Vane:

Address: 525 Wightman Rd., Danville, VT

Directions: The barn is on Wightman Road, just East of the intersection of US Route 2 and VT Route 15. It is clearly visible from Route 2.

33. Giant Jacks and a Ball:

Address: Kirby, VT

Directions: From Interstate 91 exit 23, Route 5 North to Red Village Road. Turn Right on Red Village Road to Ridge Road. Turn left on Ridge Road and the Jacks will be in a field on your left.

34. Propane Tank Sculptures:

Address: Memorial Dr, Lyndonville, VT

Directions: On Route 5 about 1/2 mile north of I-91 exit 23. On the left in front of Bob's Welding.

Phone: 802-626-5502

35. The Puking Pig:

Address: Lyndonville, VT

Hours: Always visible.

36. Clothespin Grave Marker:

Address: Center Road, Middlesex, VT

Directions: Just off I-89. Five miles north of Montpelier take Middlesex exit, turn right, to top of hill. Cemetery on right. Walk to back right corner.

37. Golfing Moose:

Address: St. Johnsbury, VT

Directions: Outside of St. Johnsbury, VT, NW on Route 2.

38. Motorcyclist Shrine:

Address: 1992 US 3, Colebrook, NH

Directions: Shrine of Our Lady of Grace. On US 3 one mile south of town.

Phone: 603-237-5511

39. Trojan Horse:

Address: 1782 Dover Road (rte 4), Epsom - Gossville, NH

Directions: Property formerly known as Gossville Hotel, now New Age Plaza. South side of US 4 about a half-mile east of the junction of Hwy 28.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Awesome - thanks Mitch!!!

Don't thank me yet: some of these things are really cheesy. Some will make you go "oh cool," some will make you laugh at how bizarre they are, and some will make you go "huh?" :grin:

Examples of cool things you might see? Here's a sculpture garden I found near Mount Rainier last year:

380430957_tGkyL-M.jpg

380431251_Fozks-M.jpg

380431577_4jrxQ-M.jpg

Example of something that makes you laugh? Here's the world's biggest wooden squirrel, in Longview Washington:

380432793_f3iiS-M.jpg

and the world's biggest frying pan:

380432855_sCLnZ-M.jpg

And the "huh?" stuff? Dunno, but don't say I didn't warn ya. :grin:

A correction on entry RA21: the correct name for the sculptures is "Waiting For The Night Train," and apparently it is only visible from I690 (best from westbound lanes). So if you're gonna take a pic, have your camera ready as you approach!

Joe Frickin' Friday
This sign is only 58 miles from the UN it is at the southern junction of RT 5 and RT 35 near Lynchville, ME. You can see it on the street level view in google maps.

Shoot, I didn't even think to look at Maine! Just went through the list, made note of maybe a dozen items within ~75 miles of the Un (including the sign you mentioned). Will boil it down to a list and a GPS file, will post tonight...

For those that will travel through my neck of the woods(city) If you ride I 90 (freebie) through Albany towards the Un, Nipper will be over your left shoulder as you get to the bridge crossing the Hudson river... It is on top of the old RCA building on Broadway. a Block up from there is Wollf's Biergarten where an authentic style beergarten is recreated in an old fire house serving up the real deal in European beers and German foods. From snitzel to brats.

Bob

Joe Frickin' Friday

OK, the Roadside America waypoints I have for Maine within ~75 miles of the Unrally site are contained in this file. If you've already loaded the previous file (RA01-RA39)into your GPS, then you can load this one (RA40-RA52)on top of it, and it will add the waypoints to what you've already got.

If you have NOT loaded the previously listed file, then you can use this one, which contains ALL of my RA waypoints, RA01-RA52.

Notes for RA40-RA52 are as follows:

========================

40. Udder Place (currently closed and for sale, but still visible):

Address: 156 Pleasant St., Brunswick, ME

Directions: Udder Place Coffee Company. On the west edge of the city, on the north side of US 1/Pleasant St., next to a McDonald's. Around a mile east of I-295 exit 28.

Hours: July 2009 - reported closed. (Call to verify)

Phone: 207-725-7744

41. Three-Story Outhouse:

Address: Main St., Bryant Pond, ME

Directions: Main St. west of the intersection of Hwys 26 and 232, south side of the road. Attached to the back of the Jefferson Masonic Lodge No. 100.

Hours: During Grange Meetings.

42. World's Largest Telephone:

Address: 1 N. Main St., Bryant Pond, ME

Directions: On the town common outside of the post office.

Phone: 207-665-2960

43. Presidents Signpost:

Address: 1 Leach Hill Rd, Casco, ME

Directions: In town, on the corner of Hwy 121 and Leach Hill Rd. The sign faces north. Around two miles north of the intersection of Hwys 121 and 11 at Pike Corner.

44. The Big Indian:

Address: 117 Us Route 1, Freeport, ME

Directions: Winter People Image Marketing, on Rt. 1.

45. Desert Of Maine:

Address: 95 Desert Rd, Freeport, ME

Directions: I-95 exit 19 south of town. Follow Desert Road west to its end.

46. Reverend Jack Daniels Church:

Address: Limerick, ME

Directions: Routes 5 and 116 North.

47. Moxie Museum:

Address: 2 Main St., Lisbon Falls, ME

Directions: Kennebecs is on the corner of Main Street and route 196 in downtown Lisbon Falls

48. World Traveller Sign:

Address: Route 35, Lynchville, ME

Directions: Junction of Rtes 35 and 5, northeast side.

Hours: Always.

49. Big Chicken Statue (old information, may not be there):

Address: 259 Cobbossee Rd, Monmouth, ME

50. Muffler Man - Paul Bunyan:

Address: 6 Bridge St, Rumford, ME

Directions: Route 2 west coming from New Hampshire and Route 2 East coming from Bangor.

Phone: 207-364-0925

51. World's Tallest Indian:

Address: Skowhegan, ME

Directions: Corner of Pleasant St. and Madison Ave. (Rtes 201 and 2), behind the Cumberland Farms mini-mart.

Hours: Daylight hours. (Call to verify)

Phone: 207-474-3621

52. Eartha: World's Largest Rotating Globe:

Address: 2 DeLorme Drive, Yarmouth, ME

Directions: Delorme HQ, I-95 just off exit 17, east side.

Hours: The lobby is open daily from 9:30 to 6. Eartha is illuminated after dark, so ni (Call to verify)

Phone: 207-846-7100

===================

Have fun... :thumbsup:

Saw #48 today.

48. World Traveller Sign:

Address: Route 35, Lynchville, ME

Directions: Junction of Rtes 35 and 5, northeast side.

Hours: Always.

617553775_wRqSM-M.jpg

Archived