IGNORED

Low Seat for R1150RT

DiggerJim

I've done a search in the archives for this topic but not found anything so I'm posting my own query -- does anyone know anything about a "low seat" for the R1150RT (pre-2004)? I was looking at a new seat from Sargeant and they noted that their "low" version was the same height as the BMW low seat.

As far as I knew BMW had 2 seats available in pre-2004 models -- stock which could be set at 1 of 3 different heights, and a "comfort" seat which was fatter & plusher. Didn't think there was yet another one called the "low" seat but the Sargeant tech was quite insistent.

Anyone have any idea what he's talking about?

Thanks,

Jim

'02 Silver R1150RT

You got it. There were 2 seats available. Both built on the SAME seat pan (so they each accomodated the 3 positions). A standard seat (pre-2003) and a comfort seat (2003 and later this became the factory shipped seat). The comfort seat was an option for pre-2003 RT's. It was a bit wider and had a bit more cushion. I suspect Sargent would consider the standard RT seat the 'lower' of the two, which is what they are referencing.

Regards,

Mike O

Jim, Welcome to the board!

I have a standard "low" seat from a '98RT that I'm not currently using. If you would like to try it let me know. You are not to far from me (about 85 miles).

Jim, Welcome to the board!

I have a standard "low" seat from a '98RT that I'm not currently using. If you would like to try it let me know. You are not to far from me (about 85 miles).

Cool. You're even closer actually -- I've got an office down in Ridgefield (near Danbury) so all I need is to find some time go get down there. I'll check my schedule and get back to you.

Thanks,

Jim

I have an extra Wunderlich low seat that you are welcomed to try. I'm using one now and I swear by it. I bought the extra used one to take on Edelweiss tours when I use their RT. It made all the difference. The Wunderlich low seat lowers me a good inch or more and it's comfy IMO. I'm in NW New Jersey. Ping me if you want to drop by and pick it up for a test. I've got a 32 inch inseam and the stock seat was fine but tilted too much forward on the lower two positions. The Wunderlich seat lowers you more and straightens out the tilt. It can also be adjusted to the three levels as it's on the BMW seat pan.

Laura, I am on a 2000 1100RT, same as the US 2001 model. I am curious about the Wonderlich. Do you know if it is lower than the stock non-comfort seat, or are you comparing it to a stock comfort seat? If it is the former, it sounds like it might also be lower than a "low" Rick Meyer. If this is the case, I will look into it, as I am interested in anything that will lower seat height to the max.

Ken

I have an extra Wunderlich low seat that you are welcomed to try. I'm using one now and I swear by it. I bought the extra used one to take on Edelweiss tours when I use their RT. It made all the difference. The Wunderlich low seat lowers me a good inch or more and it's comfy IMO. I'm in NW New Jersey. Ping me if you want to drop by and pick it up for a test. I've got a 32 inch inseam and the stock seat was fine but tilted too much forward on the lower two positions. The Wunderlich seat lowers you more and straightens out the tilt. It can also be adjusted to the three levels as it's on the BMW seat pan.

Great. I was looking for a Wunderlich but couldn't find one here (U.S.) which is when I went to Sargent. The Wunderlich Ergo Low is supposed to be 40mm shorter (1.5 in) than the stock seat which would be perfect. That's an extra 1/2" on the Sargent & I like the looks better without the welting. Where'd you get yours? I've got a 30" inseam so the drop is what I'm looking for without going to short shocks.

I got rid of the "lean" in the stock seat by cutting the rear bumpers under the pan. There are 2 round rubber ones that fit in sockets in the seat pan. They've got a "countersink" that's about a 1/4" or so deep. I took a utility knife blade, clamped it to a piece of 1/4" plywood and then just spun the bumper up against the blade until it sliced through. That took it down flush with the hole in the bumper and dropped the back a bit to get rid of some of the tilt. I've heard some folks needed to grind off a bit of the posts the bumpers slip on in order to get them to sit flat but that's just a minute with a Dremel.

I'm with you Ken. My bike came with a Corbin and I just can't relax on it. The stock seat (1998) is good for me in the lowest position but I crush "the boys" every time I decelerate. I need to be level and low. Where can you get a Wunderlich? Have you sat on a Sargent to try and see what the height is?

cheers

beno

I have one of the first 02's shipped so whatever seat they were shipping at the time is what was on my bike, don't think it was the "comfort" seat.

I'm very happy with both of my Wunderlich's. The older model low seat and the new model low seat. Only difference is the pattern on top. I liked it so much I searched for a year for another good used one to take on Edelweiss trips with me. I didn't want to risk losing the one I had on the bike.

You can buy them new at BMW Santa Cruz or if you have time to wait post a WANTED ad on the BMW forums and BMW marketplaces. That's what I did.

Hey, lookey here.....here's an ad from the BMW Marketplace..............compare the price to the new one first, this guys price seems high.

Wunderlich Low Profile Seat

I just bought a 2004 R1150RT with less than six thousand miles on it and it came with a brand new Wunderlich Low Profile which is way too low for me. I bought a like-new Bill Myers saddle for $400.00 plus shipping and I'd like to break even on this one.

Price: $400 plus shipping

Contact Mike Gilles at <Mikegilles@aol.com>

Telephone 714-313-0993

Hey, lookey here.....here's an ad from the BMW Marketplace..............compare the price to the new one first, this guys price seems high.

I just bought a 2004 R1150RT with less than six thousand miles on it and it came with a brand new Wunderlich Low Profile which is way too low for me. I bought a like-new Bill Myers saddle for $400.00 plus shipping and I'd like to break even on this one.

I went looking but it was gone (& I didn't see it yesterday when I put up a "Wanted" ad). ibmwr.org/marketplace no? I've dropped him a note & I'll see if he's still got it. The Wunderlich supplier in the UK won't ship outside the country. Santa Cruz hasn't gotten back to me yet so I don't know what their price is but the UK price is over $500 so $400 would be good on a new one. In either case, I'm going with your recommendation and trying to get one for my bike.

Jim

Jim,

I think you may be overlooking what really is going on. It's not so much the height as it is the width, thus spreading your legs in the thigh area limiting your ability to straighten your legs for flat footing the ground.

Sargent forms their own pan which doesn't quite fit as well as the OEM pan which is why most custom builders use the OEM to build from. The Sargent "low" seat is just as wide as their normal seat with the exception of using less foam which = less comfort.

From Ken

If you want the really low one pick up a "standard" seat from a pre-2000 R1100RT

This comment/recommendation hits the nail on the head. My RT came with the comfort seat also. While it was comfy enough for me, the width was not compatable with my 30" inseam and I did not want a seat with reduced padding to compensate for what really is going on. I first had my Comfort seat altered to make it 1/2" narrower in the thigh area. It worked pretty well but it still wasn't enough. I tried the standard seat and that was exactly the ticket nested in the middle position placing my feet securely on the ground.

I found one on E-bay from a dealer that was liquidating stock for 100 bucks. It was in fresh original plastic sealed from the factory and sealed box. I've been using it for 6 months now and have been very pleased with it. I found it to be just as good as the comfort seat and I don't require the extra width that the comfort seat has to offer.

I would ask your dealer if they had one in stock and to let you place it on your bike and sit on it. I bet they would be glad to get it off their shelf.

Jim,

I think you may be overlooking what really is going on. It's not so much the height as it is the width, thus spreading your legs in the thigh area limiting your ability to straighten your legs for flat footing the ground.

That's one of the 2 issues, height being the other. A shorter (deeper scoop) and narrower seat would do the trick. A shorter or narrower one might as well but might not too. I don't have a real sense of being "bowed out" but maybe I am.

If you want the really low one pick up a "standard" seat from a pre-2000 R1100RT

This comment/recommendation hits the nail on the head. ... I tried the standard seat and that was exactly the ticket nested in the middle position placing my feet securely on the ground.

I found one on E-bay from a dealer that was liquidating stock for 100 bucks. It was in fresh original plastic sealed from the factory and sealed box. I've been using it for 6 months now and have been very pleased with it. I found it to be just as good as the comfort seat and I don't require the extra width that the comfort seat has to offer.

I would ask your dealer if they had one in stock and to let you place it on your bike and sit on it. I bet they would be glad to get it off their shelf.

Cool. Gonna chase that option too. Thanks for the reminder that dealers often have some NOS hanging around.

I went looking but it was gone (& I didn't see it yesterday when I put up a "Wanted" ad). ibmwr.org/marketplace no? I've dropped him a note & I'll see if he's still got it. The Wunderlich supplier in the UK won't ship outside the country. Santa Cruz hasn't gotten back to me yet so I don't know what their price is but the UK price is over $500 so $400 would be good on a new one. In either case, I'm going with your recommendation and trying to get one for my bike.

Jim

A new seat from BMW Santa Cruz is $429.95. When you get into this link search Wunderlich Ergo Seat, there's a nice picture also.

Ergo Seat

A new seat from BMW Santa Cruz is $429.95.

I phoned them yesterday and they quoted me $499! So I bought the one from the guy in your ad. Also they told me that they are back ordered from Germany for about 2 months

Beno

A new seat from BMW Santa Cruz is $429.95. When you get into this link search Wunderlich Ergo Seat, there's a nice picture also.

Ergo Seat

Nice photos of it there. I emailed them and William Plam wrote back saying they were out of stock on the RT version but have a lot on order and expect them in a few weeks. He quoted a price of 399.95 and said he would confirm the details on Tuesday when he got back in the office.

Ergo Seat

Nice photos of it there. I emailed them and William Plam wrote back saying they were out of stock on the RT version but have a lot on order and expect them in a few weeks. He quoted a price of 399.95 and said he would confirm the details on Tuesday when he got back in the office.

Somethin's wrong here, they quoted you $399.95 and SpaceKing $499?

Spaceking, I hope you like the seat as much as I like mine !! Post your review okay?

I should have it by the end of next week. I hope to pick it up before my trip up north, if not then the following week. Looking forward to being low and comfortable.

cheers

ben

Archived