IGNORED

No Mar Tire Changer

Scotty

Hi Guys:

Many of you have read the BMWON review of the No Mar tire changer. In case anyone is interested in purchasing one, I can let you know that I am a satisfied customer. I have posted photos of myself changing a tire on my KRS. It is the first changer I have found that will not scratch a motorcycle rim (if used properly). I found two friends to split the cost with me, and the machine will soon pay for itself. There is tremendous satisfaction and freedom in changing the tires without relying on a dealer. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the machine and its use. Here are the photos: http://r1150rt.smugmug.com/

David: Feel free to move this post if appropriate

Were you able to dismount and mount tires completely with this machine? I have the harbor freight unit and can never complete the change without taking the tire off the unit and doing it the old fashion way with a few tires irons.

Do you think this bar

33643939-M.jpg

will work with the Harbor Freight unit?

42927.gif

I don't see why not. And I think this is a much cheaper way to go. The bar alone is only $79.

if you look at his left hand you will see a tire iron. i have the HF setup, and it's a 2 hand get tire off deal. the nomar unit is nice but price wise i don't change out enough tires to cover it.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't see why it wouldn't work. No Mar want's $79 for the bar, which isn't too bad, but doubles the price of my HF changer.

I just changed my tires on the HF machine with good old irons and some cut-up milk bottle. 1 very small nick when an iron slipped. It's a once a year thing for me, so I may get the No Mar Bar. We'll see in the spring.

I can mount the tires completely with this machine. The bar alone is probably a worthwhile investment. One end is used for mounting, the other for demounting. On a manual tire changer, it is nearly impossible to seat the tire without the bead trying to "walk". I use the tire iron to hold the bead in place as I move the bar around. Also, My photo makes it appear as though the bar is dangerously close to the disc. I should have taken a better photo!

Well, I can tell you guys that the old fashioned way is not going to cut it for me anymore. I change a few sets of tires a year, and just a few weeks ago I tore a muscle from my rib trying to pull a tire off a rim. So far it's cost me 3 track days and will end up costing me a month of riding time. I'm definitely looking for a better set-up. Since I already have the Harbor Freight unit, I think I'm going to try this bar.

Since no one has brought it up yet, hey Mitch are you out there. When can we expect to see your tire mount/dismount bar for sale on this site. I'm eagerly awaiting your masterpiece. confused.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Since no one has brought it up yet, hey Mitch are you out there. When can we expect to see your tire mount/dismount bar for sale on this site. I'm eagerly awaiting your masterpiece. confused.gif

80 bars are now powdercoated. Currently in the process of installing nylon pieces on each one; 20 done, and I expect to finish the remainder this week. Have bundles of pre-creased cardboard "wraps" (for shipping) sitting in the corner. Unfortunately I have a week-long trip coming up on 9/14, which will put a dent in things. I expect I can start shipping when I get back.

FWIW I had one completed a couple of months ago (a test of the whole process) and sold it to a DB member in western Michigan; he seemed quite pleased with it. smile.gif

FWIW I had one completed a couple of months ago (a test of the whole process) and sold it to a DB member in western Michigan; he seemed quite pleased with it. smile.gif

I am indeed very pleased with it. We've changed two sets of tires with it so far, and it works better than I had hoped. clap.gif Demounting and mounting are really easy to do, and take just seconds per side instead of a much longer and more difficult fight with tire irons. I was having a joint problem that settled in my hands and wrists, and it made it really difficult to use the tire irons. With Mitch's bar its really easy. If you keep the slack where it should be, its a one hand operation. We use it with an HF tire changing machine with the motorcycle adapter.

Thanks again Mitch for helping me out with the test bar.

80 bars are now powdercoated. Currently in the process of installing nylon pieces on each one; 20 done, and I expect to finish the remainder this week. Have bundles of pre-creased cardboard "wraps" (for shipping) sitting in the corner. Unfortunately I have a week-long trip coming up on 9/14, which will put a dent in things. I expect I can start shipping when I get back.

You tease!!! tongue.gifgrin.gif

The nomar bar works great with the HF tire changer. I have changed a couple sets of tires with the nomar bar. I like not having to keep the plastic rim protectors between the tire iron and the rim. The demount end of the nomar bar has a T shaped end, which allows you to insert the bar end between the rim and tire and then twist the bar to hook the tire bead. Then it is a simple process of rotating the bar around the rim. It is as easy and simple as the videos demonstrate on the nomar site. The mount bar end works equally as well. I also bought the nomar "Xtra Hand hands free clamp". I tried it on my first tire change and I wasn't impressed with it. It was easier to have the 2nd person hold the bead down in the center of the rim. However, if I was to change a tire by myself, then it would be useful.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mitch - That's great news on the progress! Have you figured out the price yet?

On behalf of the board, and my knuckles, thanks for all your time and effort on this project.

russell_bynum

I used the No Mar mount-demount bar to put a new MEZ4 front tire on Lisa's R1100RS prior to Torrey. I have the HF tire changer, and used the No Mar mount-demount bar with it.

Demount went very well.

Mount didn't go as well. The whole tire kept rotating on the rim. Eventually, I pulled the rim out of the changer and finished the job manually with tire irons.

I'm thinking I need to order some of the hands-free clamps that they sell on the No Mar site.

I'm going to be doing an MEZ4 rear next week, so we'll see if that works better.

russell_bynum
Where are you getting MEZ4s? Private stockpile?

They're take-offs. I put a new set of MEZ4's on before I did Level 1 of the Superbike School on the RT last year. After I got back, Torrey came around, and I was nervous about doing a track day AND Torrey on the same tires, so I put new Pilot Roads on and put the Z4's in the garage for later use.

Archived