IGNORED

I-91 through Massachusetts

Nice n Easy Rider

Nice n Easy Rider

Anyone planning on taking I-91 N through Massachusetts to the UN there are a couple of construction sites you should beware of. The first is I-91 through Springfield where construction on the elevated highway has been ongoing and will reduce 3 lanes to 2 or less.

The second, more dangerous area is I-91 north of Holyoke and south of Northampton - actually, at Easthampton. Construction on a bridge has led to creation of two narrow (8-9 ft wide) lanes with Jersey barriers on both sides of each lane. These lanes are so narrow that trucks are detoured off the interstate around this site. Cagers approaching these very narrow lanes apparently panic, resulting in a high rate of accidents - 3 in 2008, 17 in the first half of 2009.

Also, there is a state police barracks just north of Northampton and that section of I-91 is well patrolled (they like to catch New Yorkers headed to the mountains for the weekend).

Ride safe.

Ditto on the "bears". They can (and do) make a fair living at pinching people between CT/Springfield and Vermont.

I suggest nobody plan on riding Rt95 around Boston. Daytime there is huge amount of traffic due to commuters and at night there are night crews and lane closures for 10's of miles. Just about no time is a good time. If you must, weekends (before noon) are best.

Rt495 is longer and usually with less slow downs (except commuter times).

Archived