IGNORED

MT Washington Sunrise Count Poll

ltljohn

MT Washington Count  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Rev Ray asked for a poll to get an accurate count of how many will be enjoying the sunrise on MT Washington.

Please click once to add yourself.

LOST on my LT

First big trip on the bike. IN! Hope I don't fall off the mountain in the dark. Damn, I just Jinxed myself!

Paul Mihalka
I rode to Mt. Mitchell the other day so that I would have a base for comparison.

I don't think there is much comparison. You'll see!

This is looking like a great ride to the top!

I recommend saving the White Mountains National Forest Ride (Extended) for that day. You should have the route in your email boxes!

See everyone in a week. :wave:

Paul

Two up counts as one?

And I vote last one up pays for the whole sh*t and caboodle... :grin:

MB>

Normally, there is an additional fee for pillion riders but since we are paying the flat fee for those going on the sunrise ride, it's really up to us to decide. I'd assume yes for now.

By the by... in looking up the rates, I came across this webpage which has a nice YouTube video. The sunrise is seen just after the 3 minute mark. :Cool:

According to the "toll house" sign in the YouTube vid, pillions are extra...I've no prob with that...BUT, if free, then how many can I stack on my bike??? :grin:

Hey, one thing struck me after watching the vid....We will have no CAGES on the ride up.. :clap:

Hope mother nature cooperates..been a wet one this summer there, eh?

Am I bringin' my rain gear?

MB>

With the "summer?" we've been having, rain gear is a MUST this year. :P

Would also highly recommend heated gear for the top of Mt. Washington as a precaution. Temperatures at that time of the morning are in the 40's right now and the wind gusts were in the 40's too.

Current Weather

Going to be spectacular if the sky's are clear!

Paul

Mike,

Attached is copy of the contract, I read as the charge is per guest.

Ray Aubel July 25, 2009

BMW Motorcycle Rally

130-2459th Ave

Flushing, NY 11355

Dear Ray,

This is to confirm your group for a before hours morning tour on the Mt. Washington Auto Road.

NAME OF GROUP DAY DATE TIME # OF PEOPLE

BMW Rally Tuesday August 11, 2009 See attached 30 or $690.00

Payment Policy: The minimum number of guests is 30 at $23.00 per person or $690.00. You can have less guests but the dollar amount stays the same. If your guest count increases - you will have a balance due which will be paid upon your arrival. Please see attached for your morning tour schedule. The Auto Road will lead you to the summit in one of our stages and we will also be the last vehicle in line. This is in case anyone has any problems.

Cancellation Policy: Thank you for your payment of $690.00. At this late date if you choose to cancel your payment of $690.00 will be forfeited. If the Auto Road needs to postpone due to weather we will work with you for the best date. If we need to cancel we will refund your $690.00.

Weather on Mt. Washington is rather unreliable and quick to change. Especially so in the early and late seasons as any low temperature combined with precipitation and wind can cause snow or rain to freeze and force closing of the road. Therefore, reservations for the Auto Road are contingent on weather conditions.

In the event of inclement weather, we can provide your group with an alternate program at our Base Lodge that includes a tour of the adjacent Red Barn Museum, a program with slide show, refreshments and a memento.

Please call us 48 hours prior to your arrival to confirm the number of guests in your group.

We look forward to welcoming your group to the Mt Washington Auto Road and the Northeast's highest peak, Mt Washington. Please sign and return this contract with your deposit. If we can be of additional service to you do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely, Organizer Signature: ______________________

Mary Power

Date: ___________________

Mary Power,

Events Director / Group Sales

Mt. Washington Auto Road

Great Glen Trails

P.O. Box 278

Gorham, NH 03581

603-466-3988

Hey, one thing struck me after watching the vid....We will have no CAGES on the ride up.. :clap:

This is the exciting part of this adventure! Even in the dark it should be a fun ride up (the links to the video's certainly support this) and if the weather permits a wonderful ride back down after sunrise!

I find it hard to believe that we don't have almost everyone attending the UNrally wanting to participate in this event!

[quote=mbelectric

I find it hard to believe that we don't have almost everyone attending the UNrally wanting to participate in this event!

I for 1 am apprehensive about it in the dark, gravel road 1/2 way up, riding 2 up on my 12c. If in a cage, it would make me feel better.

Bob

RichEdwards

I praise the sense of adventure in the participants. For me, however:

1. Depart in the extremely early darkness on unfamiliar roads.

2. Chance of temps in the 30's at the top of mountain.

3. Strong winds and gusts over 50 mph every day.

4. 20% to 40% chance of rain.

5. I've done this ride in a car and on the cog railroad.

There are a couple of spots that look real hairy!
The only part that I found a bit "hairy" was about 3/4 of the way up when we came to a complete stop as the car in front of us decided to stop on a very narrow part of the road and let a few large SUV's pass slowly on the inside. So there I was fully loaded with the wife riding pillion completely stopped, for what seemed to be an eternity, on the outer edge of a severely slopped severely graded dirt part of the road with all that weight being held up by my left leg that was starting to spasm from the stress.

Obviously you wont encounter this problem having an open road with no cars in front of you and none coming from the opposite direction on your assent. :thumbsup:

However, for anyone riding up during the day make sure you leave a nice gap between your bike and the vehicle in front of you so you don't need to come to a stop even if they do. As long as you keep moving it's a GREAT ride.

Dear Friends,

All of you hardy souls that are prepared to brave the elements Of Mt. Washington to witness a once in a life time occurrence atop of said mountain, sunrise with like minded BMWST board members I thank you. Based on the response from this poll I will collect $34.50 from twenty participants totaling $690.00 the cost of opening the mountain road for a sunrise group. If more people sign up refunds will be made, please have exact cost ready. See you at Un registration

According to this other thread: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=496506&page=3

"The Mount Washington Sunrise odyssey is a go. We are schedule to witness the sunrise atop of the coldest, windiest place on the east coast of these United States, on August 11, 2009 with a wind date of August 13, 2009 we go in the rain.

Payment will be collected at Unregistration, from this thread it seems that we have 20 hearty souls ready to mount there mechanized steeds a brave the said Odyssey. The cost will be $35.00 each based on twenty riders. Costs will be adjusted accordingly to number of participants. "

Hi,

I am leaving long island tomorrow and I would love to join this ride. I'm still looking for a room at the site but even if I can't find one, I'll get a hotel somewhere close by. Count me in, I'll be arriving a out 8 pm Sunday.

Thanks,

Alan

516-817-9644

I knew I'd be pretty busy with the UNrally this week and so Suzanne and I took the kids & dogs up to Mt. Washington.

I figured it would also be a chance for a last minute recon run. From the camper, it looked like a perfect morning!

IMG_1331.JPG

The peak in the center is Mt. Washington...

IMG_1332.JPG

Everything looks good and the views are spectacular!

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

Oh no...what happened to the blue skies...

IMG_1316.JPG

At the top, the winds were steady at 50 mph and the temperature had dropped into the 30's.

IMG_1324.JPG

It didn't take long for Suzanne and the girls to say "enough of this". We went inside the main building for some hot coco and to watch the cog rail arrive. A little shopping at the gift shop and it was time to go back down.

Wouldn't you know it, the clouds parted just long enough to get this picture and then the visibility dropped back down to nothing again.

IMG_1326.JPG

It seems like we only needed to drop back down another 1,000 feet and the weather was perfect again! Notice the road down below in the first picture and the unpaved section in the second photo which is really nothing to worry about.

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

All in all, the kids had a great time and the sunrise ride up will be a lot of fun if you don't mind the early wakeup time. Make sure the weather will be perfect or it won't be much of a sunrise. Tuesday is sketchy right now but Wednesday looks very promising (Would mean possibly missing the group breakfast though)

If you decide to go up in the daylight), I suggest getting there by 9am as the wait to go up was significant by midday.... there is a good possibility it will not be that bad during the week though.

Can't wait to see everyone!

Paul

Thanks for the pics Paul. Kinda typical Mt Washington weather. You could be in a cloud one minute, and cloudless the next.

BTW, I've been on Mt Jefferson (next mt down the range) and had rain the way up to find sun at the summit! It is so cool to be looking down on the clouds. Have fun all !!

:/ Be careful up there folks...esp on the way down. I've ridden up and down that road many times over the years...and still take it really slow. The road is steep, narrow and slippery when wet/damp. But the worse part may be down low where the rocks below the pavement have been pushed upwards by the frost/ice causing basketball sized firm humps to avoid. The news article below was in today's Conway Daily Sun (North Conway) but I have yet to hear the real details from the auto road crew. The picture of the bike was pretty fuzzy, but it looked like a BIG old time Harley with white wall tires, drum breaks, and lots of chrome. I remember the breaking systems on those old heavy H-Ds were minimal at best, so I would put break failure at the top of my guessing list. Next would be the helmet still strapped to rear seat/sissy bar after the crash. :S Very sad news indeed, and all our thoughts go out to the Paul West's Family and friends :-[/i](

Motorcyclist dies after crashing into a tree on Mount Washington Auto Road Saturday

PINKHAM NOTCH (AP) — A Massachusetts motorcycle operator was killed Saturday when he went over an embankment and crashed into a tree on the Mount Washington Auto Road.

The accident occurred at about 11:50 a.m. Saturday, about two miles up the mountain from Route 16. The victim was Paul West, 65, of Brockton, Mass.

Officials say a helicopter from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center was summoned, but West died before being transported to the landing zone. New Hampshire State Police Sgt. Todd Landry says speed and brake failure are being considered as the investigation moves forward.

The eight-mile road to the top of the Northeast's highest peak opened in 1861. In the road's 148 years, only two other fatal vehicle accidents have occurred. A woman was killed in 1880, when a drunk carriage driver steered the horse-drawn coach she was riding in off the road. And in 1984, a woman died when the brakes in the car she was in failed near the base of the road.

According to the Web site for Mount Washington Observatory, "Some rate the Auto Road as the safest toll road in the nation."

I clocked over 120mph in the dirt section back in the days. :eek: Thankfully, my days of stupidity are a VERY DISTANT memory.

So how did the sunrise drive go?

I clocked over 120mph in the dirt section back in the days. :eek: Thankfully, my days of stupidity are a VERY DISTANT memory.

So how did the sunrise drive go?

Wasn't part of the group, but I understand that upon arrival they were advised that a storm was rolling in and that they might want to consider postponing -- which they did.

Archived