IGNORED

Welding ?

Richard_D

The kickstand tab is breaking off the frame on my 06 Dakar. I've heard you can't weld on the new bikes due to the canbus. Are there any precautions I need to take or can I just re-weld the tab to the frame?

When we weld on our electronically controlled equipment, we disconnect the battery and the control unit (ECM). Should be the same with the 06 Dakar.

The 06 F650 GS PD is not CAN bus.

The ECU or engine control computer is the small box under the seat just behind the airbox. It is kinda difficult to disconnect the plug but you can do it.

IF you have an 2006 bike, it is likely still under warranty? No? Canadian bikes have 3 year unlimited KM warranty. Take it to a dealer and see what happens. BMW may step up and help out.

Good Luck

The suggestion of taking the sub frame off was the easy way to do it. The factory weld was not very good. I have my Dakar lowered with a 1" Koubalink and added the hocky puck to the kickstand. The new weld is beefy and I doubt I will ever have this problem again. I'm a lucky person because just yesterday I rode 200 miles and parked the bike many times. When I got home and in my garage , the side stand gave way. I caught the bike but it slightly dented the exhaust pipe with the kickstand and slightly melted the sidestand switch assembly. I suggest everyone check theirs . It's real easy to take the part off the bike and have it re-welded.

Archived