IGNORED

$6.99 Helmet Lock

FREEBEE

This was not my idea!

I saw it somewhere ?? Perhaps here?

A Master Padlock (long shackle) in place of the passenger foot-peg pin.

Not only does it secure a helmet..but now it protects the foot peg as well. clap.gif

Simple...Yet secure.

P3180001.jpg

P3180002.jpg

P3180003.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

I just wrap (two turns) the long strap of my helmet around the top handle of my saddle bag. It is enough to deter the casual thief. Anyone who really wants it can cut the D-rings with a pair of diagonal cutting pliers. They are not really all that strong. $5.95 for the D-ring replacement kit and the thief has himself a new helmet.

$5.95 for the D-ring replacement kit and the thief has himself a new helmet.

A used helmet. That your head has been in for unknown miles!

I keep locking my helmet up (well, not so much at work), but I keep thinking how sorry some poor sap's going to be if they take my helmet. But then, what people will steal never ceases to amaze me. I got in to class in the rain one day in the spring, my plain-looking, well used, deerskin gloves drenched (but by that point, nicely formed to fit me like... gloves.) I put them on the ends of my handlebars, hoping to let them dry off a bit before the end of class, and someone took them.

These days, I'm thinking about one of those retractable cabale locks I can run through the chin piece would be best...

Greg

Clever idea, very clever in fact. I just never got why many riders don't give a hoot about placing their helmets open side down right on the ground or grass or like that picture, right down near the ground. It's dirty, buggy, oily and you're putting that on your head?!?!? The first time I did that (eons ago) and put it on with a huge bug in it I learned my lesson. I felt it in my hair as I going down the road and freaked.

These days, I'm thinking about one of those retractable cabale locks I can run through the chin piece would be best...
Hey Greg, go to a ski shop and you can get them for a few bucks. They made to cable lock skis. The one I have cost about $5.00 and it's small and flat. They work great. It's long enough to run through the sleeve of your jacket then the helmet and prevent most thugs from an easy getaway.
ShovelStrokeEd

Greg,

Don't know if your planning on criminal law or not. My cousing did although he now works for the Brooklyn DA. There are people out there who would steal a hot stove given anything like an opportunity. Not for anything they even want or need, just to steal it. Look at the looters in New Orleans.

Just this weekend wasn't sure about location I was in as far as feeling safe about just propping my helmet on my "dashboard", then I saw the "split opening" in the mirror arm - slipped the end of helmet strap through and clipped it shut, helmet sat nicely (opening down) over the mirror/end of handle bar. As was mentioned anyone who was just walking by and grabbed it thinking is was just sitting there would have been tugged backwards, probably wouldn't take the time to step back to see what was securing it from underneath.

Another friend always said at rallys, if someone took his he could always look around and find one better than his that was taken! eek.gif

As was mentioned anyone who was just walking by and grabbed it thinking is was just sitting there would have been tugged backwards, probably wouldn't take the time to step back to see what was securing it from underneath.

Absolutely and you can do the same with the tail rack on the RT if you're not using the top case. I open the face on my Schuberth lay it face down and then it clamps snuggly through and under the luggage rack. Not an easy get away.

RonB said ChrisNYC posted it here a couple of years ago

Yes, but I think mine was more like $15.99 158745-wink.gif (weatherproof lock..) Anyway, Marc, nice to see that someone could use the idea!

558985-hl01.jPG

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

558985-hl01.jPG.8e8b7fcd1c4e7d931d1816c59222d2e1.jPG

That makes a lot more sense to me with the cable. Of course, I don't have pegs, so it's not all completely applicable for my situation.

Greg

Archived