IGNORED

Corning Museum of Glass: worthwhile?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Coming to the UnRally from Michigan, I'll probably be crossing NY state on US20. From there, it's a significant detour to visit the Corning Museum of Glass. My coworker has strongly recommended it, but I'm looking for a second opinion. Anyone here gone? Is it worth going 100 miles out of my way and spending a couple of hours there?

Talk to Ron. He may know something about it.

I have heard about it before, and would like to see it, but can't comment from experience.

I thought it was pretty interesting but perhaps kind of on the edge for such a detour. Kind of depends on if you're into glassmaking as there are (or were, I was there several years ago) some nice demos and some other technical stuff, but otherwise maybe better for when the wife is along (or maybe she will be with you?)

I live pretty close and have been there a couple of times -- not in a few years though. It is a very interesting place -- lot's of history, science, craftsmanship and art involved. It would be on my list to see at some point in my life (if I had not done so already). I can't evaluate if it's worth a 100 mile detour and a 2-3 hour tour given all the other factors -- I agree with smiler -- better to do with someone else so you can oohh and aahh together.

Hi Mitch - while I'm sure the museum would be interesting check out the glass blowing courses at our local college (flemingcollege.com, sign up for a week's course and stay with us. Great bike roads to boot.

Paul Mihalka

The Corning Museum of Glass is interesting.I visited it with my wife as it is more her kind of thing, but I enjoyed it too. Now for us gearheads coming to that area what you can't miss is the Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport NY. The guy was a technical genius. In boats, airplanes, motorcycles, he was THE leading edge.

http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

+1 What Paul said

I would not miss the Glenn H. Curtis Museum

Another incredible sight is the Garrett Memorial Chapel on the Bluff at Keuka Lake. In the U of the Y of Keuka Lake is a point of land. The point is a bluff and on top of it is a stunning chapel, well worth a look if you are interested in stone work. It's rarely open for viewing inside, but just to look at the exterior will be enough. Easy to get too off of Rt 54A via Skyline Drive. Avoid the road that circuvents the U of the Y unless you have lot's of time.

If you choose to combine these two it would be good to drop south from Rts 5&20, see the chapel and then go south on the West side of Keuka Lake to Hammondsport and the Curtis Museum. Then you can route up the East side of Keuka or ...

...you could head east to pass through Watkins Glen, at the foot of Seneca Lake and then head north up the East side of Seneca Lake. Pick up 5&20 and head for Auburn, as Paul said.

Hope you can stop at any produce stands for terrific fruit, baked goods and vegetables along the way.

Also in Auburn, NY is a special historic mansion known as the Seward House. He was the Secretary of State under Abraham Lincoln. This home, and it's furnishings, were left pretty much intact from that time.

Oh, and back before you get to Canandaigua, NY on 5&20 as you come through Bloomfield, NY (my home now) you will find a terrific Ice Cream Shop called Shark's on the north side of the road, just east of Rt 64

See you at the UN :wave:

Just in case, the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum I mentioned is in Auburn, INDIANA.

Oh, I am glad you posted again. I was going to jump on the bike and go to Auburn tomorrow to see the cars :rofl:

Mitch - another interesting museum in Corning, NY is the Rockwell Museum of Western Art. You can get a combination admission ticket for both museums.

Archived