IGNORED

Tub refinish ?

ericfoerster

Ok, here is the scoop. 1956 model home with the original pink (now really off pink) tub in it. I am looking to freshen the look for resale in a few years. I am thinking of trying to get the tub refinished in white instead of the pink.

Have any of you had a tub refinished? Did it work out OK?

I've seen it done several times and looked OK to me. I am not really wanting to pull the tub and get a new one. I'd be happy with the refinish if it works out.

Hmmmm.....

Open for suggestions grin.gif

Miracle Method is the outfit I'm most familiar with. I believe they are one of, if not the biggest company performing this work. That's a good thing because their installers are going to be more experienced and their practices are honed over years of operations. They have a pretty informative website.

http://www.miraclemethod.com/MM_PP747/lifeExpectancy.shtml

We recently shopped the tub refinishing market in our area (Houston).

The process is IMO pricey, in one instance it was more than the price of a new tub (not installed).

I elected to try it myself.

Home Depot sells kits to refinish them DIY. This is what I did and the results are acceptable.

The process is time consuming however I have more time than money. crazy.gif

We had one done several years ago, and I'm not sure if it was a problem in the process or the application, but it doesn't drain completely requiring more frequent cleaning. We're looking into replacing it with a cultured marble replacement.

We had ours done and were very happy with the results. You'll have to be careful cleaning it in the future, as you can't use abrasive cleaners. Just stay on top of it and you'll be fine. We did the same thing, going white. Ours was green to start. It may be the same price as a new tub, but in our case a simple recoat, new toilet, new vanity, and a little paint totally transformed our rather dated bathroom. That's much easier than ripping out the old tub.

Wait until it is near time to show the house for resale.

That may be good advice as well. While not as expensive as replacing the tub, I'm not sure the coating would be considered a "long term" solution. We sold our place 2 years later and the tub was fine...

Archived